British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Belle Vue Colts 2019

I'm quite happy with that team. I hoped that we might get Flint and Palin. I don't know much at all about Rathbone but I'm sure that Mark Lemon will offer him lots of helpful advice. I am pleased to see Bickley, Bowen and Woodhull return and think most, if not all, of those riders could improve their averages. Philips will be able to pass on the benefit of his experience and should at least maintain his average.

Danny Phillips rode well at the NSS last season for the Bees. Looks a good line up for the Colts.

Edited by Woz01

Looks a decent side and in fact despite the lower points limit looks better than last years. Providing Woodhull is still interested he should improve, Palin will likely be another Edwards style rider (namely great debut year but overshadowed by a few others). Verdict is still out on Rathbone as he has A1 equipment and is quick out front but is he quick enough and can he pass?. Otherwise providing there re not too many fixture clashes with Flint & Bickley it looks a potential top 4 side.

Pleased with the team.... Leon Flint is an absolute bonus...

Does this mean that Andy Mellish has retired now ??

40 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

Pleased with the team.... Leon Flint is an absolute bonus...

Does this mean that Andy Mellish has retired now ??

Dumped, not retired

B1D542D1-BCEE-40D4-865D-E96A0131BE0A.jpeg

Unfortunate for Mellish big fan base at the club but looks like a victim of the new 2 point rule? An injury reduction would have likely brought him in on 3.03 and as per last years rules likely to feature in the side.

58 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Unfortunate for Mellish big fan base at the club but looks like a victim of the new 2 point rule? An injury reduction would have likely brought him in on 3.03 and as per last years rules likely to feature in the side.

Your calculator is broken.

Even if Mellish got a reduction (and that's a big if), he'd still be on 4.63

What team could accommodate a reserve on 4.63?   With the current points limit most teams are spending less than 4.63 on both reserves combined!

Bit crazy that he's never been above NL reserve and is stuffed with a 5.03/4.63 average, yet you can have a seasoned ex-pro who has held a 1st division average of near 6.00 and  drop him into the NL on a reported 3.50 average.

Edited by WalterPlinge
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Your calculator is broken.

Even if Mellish got a reduction (and that's a big if), he'd still be on 4.63

What team could accommodate a reserve on 4.63?   With the current points limit most teams are spending less than 4.63 on both reserves combined!

Bit crazy that he's never been above NL reserve and is stuffed with a 5.03/4.63 average, yet you can have a seasoned ex-pro who has held a 2nd division average of over 6.00 and  drop him into the NL on a reported 3.50 average.

Who do you mean?

20 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Rob Ledwith?

You will not be disappointed in Leon Flint, I have sponsored him since he was 10 years old. He will give you 100%, but it probably will not be enough for him, never stops learning.

TAFFY

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Looks a decent side and in fact despite the lower points limit looks better than last years. Providing Woodhull is still interested he should improve, Palin will likely be another Edwards style rider (namely great debut year but overshadowed by a few others). Verdict is still out on Rathbone as he has A1 equipment and is quick out front but is he quick enough and can he pass?. Otherwise providing there re not too many fixture clashes with Flint & Bickley it looks a potential top 4 side.

Had the points limit remained the same, the Colts could have had Jack Smith instead of Danny Phillips.

Smith is younger, has less experience and of course has the Belle Vue connection through riding for the Aces and Colts and his father.

Its still a cracking line up any way.

An excellently built team that, again, will be very exciting to watch at the NSS. Palin & Rathbone both look decent 2 pointers and like S4K has said, I can see them both having very good season but possibly going under the radar by one or two others. Bickley & Flint are as good a top 2 at all the tracks that anyone will manage to field. Looks like a play-off team at this early point in the season. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

An excellently built team that, again, will be very exciting to watch at the NSS. Palin & Rathbone both look decent 2 pointers and like S4K has said, I can see them both having very good season but possibly going under the radar by one or two others. Bickley & Flint are as good a top 2 at all the tracks that anyone will manage to field. Looks like a play-off team at this early point in the season. 

It really is. I’m so pleased that we are taking the development of these young lads seriously. There is a platform for some of those to become riders in the main team. Whilst I’m gutted for Andy, who is a f#####g top human being, it’s the way I’d prefer to go.

Not only will that team be competitive, it’s been done with the right ethos behind it.

• Like 1