British Speedway Forum
Ray Stadia

Newport Speedway (Wales)

With the announcement that the Severn Bridge toll is being abolished, would this have saved Newport Speedway had it been in place before they folded? I personally think it would have helped Newport as it would have been more attractive for fans living in Bristol and starved for many years of their own team. The toll must have been a barrier (no pun intended), I am sure.

• Like 1

How much was the toll, it can't have helped speedway attendances if it was considered to be too dear.  Went to Newport in 2005 or so forget the actual toll cost.  Following on; the Humber Bridge toll, which one needs to cross in order to get from Hull to Scunny and back, is £1.50 (I think) each way, down from £5 or so a few years ago....

4 hours ago, martinmauger said:

How much was the toll, it can't have helped speedway attendances if it was considered to be too dear.  Went to Newport in 2005 or so forget the actual toll cost.  Following on; the Humber Bridge toll, which one needs to cross in order to get from Hull to Scunny and back, is £1.50 (I think) each way, down from £5 or so a few years ago....

On the news, they said it was £5.60, which I think was a one way payment only.  

7 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

On the news, they said it was £5.60, which I think was a one way payment only.  

Remember one-time 'Wasp' Reidar Eide trying his upmost in avoiding paying the toll constantly negotiating with his promoter to come up with the money in one way or another.

• Like 2

Swindon, Somerset and Newport are pretty much equidistant from Bristol, depending on what part of the city you live in. I'd be amazed if the number of people who travel from Bristol to Swindon on a regular basis exceeds double figures, so I think it is a stretch to suggest Newport could have been saved if the Seven bridge toll wasn't in effect.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MattK said:

Swindon, Somerset and Newport are pretty much equidistant from Bristol, depending on what part of the city you live in. I'd be amazed if the number of people who travel from Bristol to Swindon on a regular basis exceeds double figures, so I think it is a stretch to suggest Newport could have been saved if the Seven bridge toll wasn't in effect.

I take your point, but I have just put in several variations on AA Auto-route and there is quite a bit of difference in some cases, i.e. Newport being nearer. Add to that, fans are used to going to Wales once a year for the Grand Prix. It certainly would have helped their cause, in my opinion. 

There was more involved in newports closing than the cost of the toll . something very very dodgy to do with the promotion and their transport business , i can't remember what it was ,but the  pervert SCB  knew  what it was  , and blamed I a member of these forums for colluding in the closure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Well into double figures re the number of people travelling from Bristol to Swindon !

Re Newport, what would have much more beneficial of course is the stadium not burning down due to arson ! And yes, a lot of people travelled from Bristol to Newport.

Its not just Bristol, either, I know people that travel to Swindon from Bath, Weston Super Mare, Cheltenham, Gloucester, Bradford on Avon, South Wales....

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 11:09 AM, *JJ said:

Weston? That's next to Somerset speedway.

Yes, correct, and your point is ?

Speedway existed in Bristol and Swindon long before Somerset started up, and people from the Weston area still attend at Swindon...

Being retired, they also go to Somerset, as they enjoy watching as much speedway as they can.

Possible more information re: Newport Queensway Meadows;  think the late Tim Stone (real achievement building the new stadium BTW, I was well impressed) bought the orange seats & also the floodlights from Somerton Park when it closed and stored them for possible future use.  Well, we know he did find a use for them (!), but potentially a bit more of Newport Speedway's history was lost along with the recent stadium, one heck of a shame that....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling due to lack of care, sigh
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Possible more information re: Newport Queensway Meadows;  think the late Tim Stone (real achievement building the new stadium BTW, I was well impressed) bought the orange seats & also the floodlights from Somerton Park when it closed and stored them for possible future use.  Well, we know he did find a use for them (!), but potentially a bit more of Newport Speedway's history was lost along with the recent stadium, one heck of a shame that....

I agree, one heck of a shame and one hell of an amazing achievement by Tim. You could probably make a short play/drama about one man's dream and what he achieved, when you consider the challenges and adversity. Remember the film 'Field of Dreams'?  

• Like 3

I went to Somerton park a couple of times for speedway and football, but made over 20 visits to Queensway Meadows. I remember the big crowds at the start, declining to a few hundred at the end. A real shame for a purpose built speedway stadium to have such a short life.

18 hours ago, jeffster said:

Yes, correct, and your point is ?

Speedway existed in Bristol and Swindon long before Somerset started up, and people from the Weston area still attend at Swindon...

Being retired, they also go to Somerset, as they enjoy watching as much speedway as they can.

My point, which I thought was obvious, is why anyone would go over 70 miles, an hour and a half each way, to Swindon when there is a track just down the road?

is there a point to this thread? If so, I've missed it

Edited by ch958