British Speedway Forum
Ray Stadia

Newport Speedway (Wales)

The point whether Severn tolls affected Newport speedway is a valid one.  When I mention I'm off to Scunny to watch speedway folk will exclain "but it's across to Humber Bridge on the other side of the river !" as if it's the other side of the world.  But it only takes 40-45 mins, whereas it could easily take 35-40 mins getting across Hull to Craven Park, or to the Boulevard before that, would be longer with Hull's 2018 traffic.  Back on a side topic; when I visited Newport quite at few riders 'straightened up' going into turn 3 and finished up battling to avoid the turn 4 fence with a couple ending up on the ground right up against it.  But it still has to be said that Tim Stone did blooming well building the stadium and running it right up until his sad passing.  On a footnote; the suspension of Newport's matches in 2008, temporarily I believe happy to be corrected, the next was away at Sheffield on 8 May and saw a Sheffield v ex-Hull Vikings challenge staged at Owlerton with a certain Tai Woffinden 'guesting' for Hull :party:.  A guest for a sadly non-existing team B).  An enjoyable meeting for sure, it defo means waaay more when it's 'one's own team', just a huge shame the circumstances which led to it taking place....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling & grammar 2x, sigh
  • Like 2

Didn't Neil Street design the track ? Fairly sure I read it somewhere he had. Track shape and length of straights to make riders learn fast.

8 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Didn't Neil Street design the track ? Fairly sure I read it somewhere he had. Track shape and length of straights to make riders learn fast.

He got it about right them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

I can confirm 100% that Neil along with Tim did design the track. But please beware the new book "Streets Ahead" contains several errors, should have been copy read by one of his family or possibly Tony Lethbridge. 

As A regular at Newport travelling from Bristol I did not consider that the bridge toll was significant therefore its abolition would have been of little consequence however the pesky speed cameras hidden in the overhead gantry about half a mile before the booths had to be allowed for. I think they caught a few riders out.

• Like 2