British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bill94d

SPOTY

I suppose it was inevitable there would not be a mention of Tai's achievements this year,(unless I blinked and missed it) in the above last night.  However what upset me most was the omission of Ronnie Moore and Ivan Mauger in the list of those who have departed this mortal coil this year. Very disrespectful to riders who in their day rode at Wembley in front of 90000 people. 

• Like 1

If it’s not one of football, rugby, cycling, tennis, golf, athletics or cricket they are not interested, oh and show jumping if Princess Anne is involved.

Didn't watch the TV programme last night, but I saw that the BBC Sports web page has "Remembering the sports stars we lost in 2018". Ivan is included in the MOTORSPORT section with a further link to The Guardian newspaper tribute. 

I presumed (wrongly??) it would have been shown on the TV programme.

I totally support your thoughts regarding Ivan & Ronnie.

Jonathan Rae was 2nd las year after he won 3 world superbike titles, this year not even nominated even though he won his 4th world title and got the record for most race wins in a year.

At least Ronnie OSullivan got a mention.

Nice to see Billy Monger got an award. Remarkable achievement even to get walking after losing both legs in a horrific F4 smash at Donnington, but within 15 months he was racing in F3 and his first race at Oulton Park he finished 3rd. Amazing lad. 

But sadly no speedway again.

20 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Didn't watch the TV programme last night, but I saw that the BBC Sports web page has "Remembering the sports stars we lost in 2018". Ivan is included in the MOTORSPORT section with a further link to The Guardian newspaper tribute. 

I presumed (wrongly??) it would have been shown on the TV programme.

I totally support your thoughts regarding Ivan & Ronnie.

As I said Lefty, maybe I blinked and missed it. I am sure I will be corrected by someone if I am wrong.

21 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

If it’s not one of football, rugby, cycling, tennis, golf, athletics or cricket they are not interested, oh and show jumping if Princess Anne is involved.

Or ANYTHING involving women.

Look at the pandering to the womens netball team. I wonder how many they play in front off?

I'll admit I am way out of touch as I didn't see a single minute of the Commonwealth games but half watching the programme last night (it was on at my Nans but there was lots of talking from family) I had assumed they had won the World Championships or something similar.. found out later it was the Commonwealth games. Seriously!

If Tai announced he was identifying as a non binary next season and won the Title he'd have a big feature, guaranteed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

Or ANYTHING involving women.

Look at the pandering to the womens netball team. I wonder how many they play in front off?

I'll admit I am way out of touch as I didn't see a single minute of the Commonwealth games but half watching the programme last night (it was on at my Nans but there was lots of talking from family) I had assumed they had won the World Championships or something similar.. found out later it was the Commonwealth games. Seriously!

If Tai announced he was identifying as a non binary next season and won the Title he'd have a big feature, guaranteed.

Women's netball in front of the Ryder Cup team? You are having a laugh BBC. I checked on the website, not everyone listed there got a mention last night, but even there Ronnie Moore does not figure.

Just now, bill94d said:

Women's netball in front of the Ryder Cup team? You are having a laugh BBC. I checked on the website, not everyone listed there got a mention last night, but even there Ronnie Moore does not figure.

They actually won two awards!

5 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

They actually won two awards!

Makes it worse!!

Ronnie Moore MBE , Ivan Mauger OBE,     Get on the BBC website and complain  , I already have , lets see if we can get an apology

• Like 2

The problem is - and we’re complicit in this - that the sport cannot be taken seriously due to the way rules etc are just altered and made up on the spot. We like to think it’s a sport but it’s just a minor fluff entertainment like monster trucks or stock cars. 

Im sure there’s a Gladiators forum where the contributors bemoan the fact Wolf has been overlooked yet again. 

Speedway has reaped what it sows I’m afraid. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ouch said:

The problem is - and we’re complicit in this - that the sport cannot be taken seriously due to the way rules etc are just altered and made up on the spot. We like to think it’s a sport but it’s just a minor fluff entertainment like monster trucks or stock cars. 

Im sure there’s a Gladiators forum where the contributors bemoan the fact Wolf has been overlooked yet again. 

You are so right. Why are promoters not allowed to put together the best team they can and keep it? This points system is the final nail in a dying sport. It has overseen the decline over the last few years so why is it persisted with?

1 hour ago, ouch said:

So right.

It has been a long game of making itself look silly to others.

Currently, in 2018, we have a seven month season merely to allow certain clubs to tinker with their scoring prowess and aim towards making the Play-Off, last qualifier or top, it doesn't matter. Just get there with the strongest side the previous seven months of pretending to win all your matches allows while, along the way, you manipulate a stronger side than the team that actually finished top of the table.

We all know it doesn't matter a jot after that, as teams that began the season are a mere shadow of the ones all those experts in Speedway Star told us would do this and that in their magnificent pre-season preview.

It isn't something new though. In 1999 John Perrin, Belle Vue manager, openly admitted after a poor early-season Craven Shield competition in which the team finished stone bottom of a 10-strong league, that the Aces had used it to purposely drop points so they could bring in new riders on the first set of averages.

In 1999 the start of season team building was 40 points maximum but was increased to 45 once the first set of averages came out (in April/May?). Belle Vue brought in Andy Smith and Kaj Laukkanen and ditched Jon Armstrong and Barry Campbell. I bet a lot of teams failed to try their best in early matches, which makes any competition meaningless. 

If the rules are set to encourage a form of cheating, then cheats will prosper, and serious sports fans and broadcasters will steer clear. 

That, me Lord, has been its problem for decades. 

Ivan Mauger not getting a mention on SPOTY is way out of order.

Edited by moxey63

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

So right.

It has been a long game of making itself look silly to others.

Currently, in 2018, we have a seven month season merely to allow certain clubs to tinker with their scoring prowess and aim towards making the Play-Off, last qualifier or top, it doesn't matter. Just get there with the strongest side the previous seven months of pretending to win all your matches allows while, along the way, you manipulate a stronger side than the team that actually finished top of the table.

We all know it doesn't matter a jot after that, as teams that began the season are a mere shadow of the ones all those experts in Speedway Star told us would do this and that in their magnificent pre-season preview.

It isn't something new though. In 1999 John Perrin, Belle Vue manager, openly admitted after a poor early-season Craven Shield competition in which the team finished stone bottom of a 10-strong league, that the Aces had used it to purposely drop points so they could bring in new riders on the first set of averages.

In 1999 the start of season team building was 40 points maximum but was increased to 45 once the first set of averages came out (in April/May?). Belle Vue brought in Andy Smith and Kaj Laukkanen and ditched Jon Armstrong and Barry Campbell. I bet a lot of teams failed to try their best in early matches, which makes any competition meaningless. 

If the rules are set to encourage a form of cheating, then cheats will prosper, and serious sports fans and broadcasters will steer clear. 

That, me Lord, has been its problem for decades. 

Ivan Mauger not getting a mention on SPOTY is way out of order.

Adding detail to the situation I outlined earlier. 

• Like 1

One of the problems is that the BBC sees speedway as a Sky TV sport (now BT) and not one of "their own".

It seems as if preference is given to sports broadcast by the Beeb.

Shame on them.

• Like 1