Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bill94d

SPOTY

8 hours ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

Well, the full title of the award is 'BBC Sports Personality of the Year' so it seems reasonable to give it to someone from a sport they actually cover.

Depends how you puncuate it

Is it BBC - Sports Personality.....

Or

BBC Sports - Personality......

The BBC 'mission statement' is supposed to means its remains impartial so just because it doesnt show a sport shouldnt mean it is ignored

That said apart from a brief second or so of Tai as World Champion in the round up list I dont see (unfortunately) that speedway can expect any recognition

Depends on whether you view Ivan  as a sppedway rider or 7 times world champion sportsman , for me he was both but the undeniable fact is he was a great sportsman abd as such  should have have a mention on a program which is based ,,supposedly on sporting achievement . Myself i complained to the BBC Online ,didn't even warrant an auto response

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Buttons said:

Always been the same with SPOTY, if it's not one for their sports they are not interested, disgusting.

The Tour de France was broadcast on ITV. The winning team’s title sponsor are SKY. The winner was voted by the public.

The BBC really need to up their game when it comes to being biased.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, adonis said:

Depends on whether you view Ivan  as a sppedway rider or 7 times world champion sportsman , for me he was both but the undeniable fact is he was a great sportsman abd as such  should have have a mention on a program which is based ,,supposedly on sporting achievement . Myself i complained to the BBC Online ,didn't even warrant an auto response

Agree with that - any mention for Ivan would not need to be just because of his link to speedway

He shouldve been worthy of acknowledement purely on his achievement in an overall sporting sense

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I am not quite sure what that has to do with your continual - and utterly unvarying - criticism of speedway.

Bewitcher, Tsunami (who I count as a very good friend) and I have crossed swords on this forum several times. They are, however, at least worth arguing with because they attend meetings and retain a passionate interest in modern day speedway. They, like me, recognise the many faults that the sport has and have been extremely critical on occasion. However, they also recognise that four blokes on bikes without brakes can be as good as its ever been - indeed, on occasion, its better.  They give credit where credit is due. 

You don't. Period. 

By your own admission, you don't go, have no interest and wouldn't attend even if it was free. As such, Bewitcher's EastEnders post - in your case - is just about bang on. 

It isn't the racing that's the problem and I really admire the riders and am not dissing them. But the mess that has allowed - especially British speedway - to fall into disrepair. Defend it all you want, as you still attend after all and would be daft if you if you attended something out of routine, so you must still like the modern product and all its off-track circus-type rules that would have many a serious sports supporter swerving away from the nearest speedway track. It simply is not credible. Admit it.

But there are still some, only a few I admit, that think the sport is still hunky dory. I am not critical of the riders or racing. But even that is unimportant when you want to follow a sport that is credible. I am not a lone voice. Unfortunately, many of those with similar voices have not bothered to keep in touch with the sport. Even this website has shrunk in numbers and posters, and we ain't talking the last 20 years either.

The thread is about SPOTY. Forty years ago this programme ignored various England World Cup-winning side. In 1980, when England achieved the Grand Slam, it again ignored the sport. That was the day of one of speedway's purple periods. The beeb wasn't interested. So why in a day when tracks close faster than my door when trick or treaters turn up, do we feel the beeb is letting the sport down? Most watching it DO NOT know about speedway.

Most speedway fans, apart with those who had nothing to do or were visiting their gran's (aww, bless him), do not delude themselves and feel three hours out of their lives to see if the word "speedway" is mentioned is worth it.

The sport is in crisis. I know enough about its modern-day fragility to conclude that. Speedway fans though, who still go and support it, are like the child whose pet has been run over by a passing car but refuses to believe it has died, clinging to one last hope because its fur is still moving because of the wind or breeze, there is no sign of life.

That is a speedway fan right now. They won't believe it is dead.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Seem to recall the England speedway team were shown briefly on SPOTY, and with an action clip, in 1975 after winning the WTC: Malcolm Simmons, Dave Jessup, Peter Colins, John Louis / Martin Ashby if memory serves.  Recall the riders saying aftewards they wouldn't attend the occasion again as there were kept hanging around all day, hardly anyone spoke to them and they certainly weren't interviewed.  Think PC got a brief mention in 1976 also....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, moxey63 said:

It isn't the racing that's the problem and I really admire the riders and am not dissing them. But the mess that has allowed - especially British speedway - to fall into disrepair. Defend it all you want, as you still attend after all and would be daft if you if you attended something out of routine, so you must still like the modern product and all its off-track circus-type rules that would have many a serious sports supporter swerving away from the nearest speedway track. It simply is not credible. Admit it.

But there are still some, only a few I admit, that think the sport is still hunky dory. I am not critical of the riders or racing. But even that is unimportant when you want to follow a sport that is credible. I am not a lone voice. Unfortunately, many of those with similar voices have not bothered to keep in touch with the sport. Even this website has shrunk in numbers and posters, and we ain't talking the last 20 years either.

The thread is about SPOTY. Forty years ago this programme ignored various England World Cup-winning side. In 1980, when England achieved the Grand Slam, it again ignored the sport. That was the day of one of speedway's purple periods. The beeb wasn't interested. So why in a day when tracks close faster than my door when trick or treaters turn up, do we feel the beeb is letting the sport down? Most watching it DO NOT know about speedway.

Most speedway fans, apart with those who had nothing to do or were visiting their gran's (aww, bless him), do not delude themselves and feel three hours out of their lives to see if the word "speedway" is mentioned is worth it.

The sport is in crisis. I know enough about its modern-day fragility to conclude that. Speedway fans though, who still go and support it, are like the child whose pet has been run over by a passing car but refuses to believe it has died, clinging to one last hope because its fur is still moving because of the wind or breeze, there is no sign of life.

That is a speedway fan right now. They won't believe it is dead.

Another irrelevant, out of touch post from a cretin who doesn't watch the sport. 

Are you that lonely, sad, devoid of any other interest that you have to spend your days frequenting the forum of something you don't watch? 

You've concocted this fictional world where commenting that Tai Woffinden wasn't mentioned means that folk were watching the show solely to see if he was. Utter nonsense. Most, if not all, would be watching because they are interested in other sports too. It's not surprising you've come up with that theory though, it does tend to fit your modus operandi.

Your ramblings about league speedway, which you have posted the same thing quite literally hundreds of times now, are also completely irrelevant in the context of this discussion.

It was wrong of the BBC not to mention Woffinden as it was wrong for them not to mention all Britains other World Champions in the world of sport for 2018... in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

I just wonder is Tai would have would have got more of a mentioned if he was not bedecked in tattoos and looked a bit more like Bruce Pennell

Yeah, first thing you notice in a 5 second clip of him crossing the finishing line winning the World Title would be 'tattoos'. 

You're right though. You don't see any sports where competitors have tattoos getting any sort of mention.....

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Yeah, first thing you notice in a 5 second clip of him crossing the finishing line winning the World Title would be 'tattoos'. 

You're right though. You don't see any sports where competitors have tattoos getting any sort of mention.....

I'd like to know what this "Pennell" guy did that is so worthy of a mention...

Steve

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

I just wonder is Tai would have would have got more of a mentioned if he was not bedecked in tattoos and looked a bit more like Bruce Pennell

It's Penhall ,      and  I agree looking like Mickey the Monkey from the Gyppo camp , may be a factor .

2 hours ago, adonis said:

It's Penhall ,      and  I agree looking like Mickey the Monkey from the Gyppo camp , may be a factor .

You might have a point, they'll certainly not have anything to do with anything linked to what you call 'gyppos'. Especially when they don't cover the sport/event. 

Shame for Tyson Fury. Oh wait....

Why wasn't Speedway included in SPOTY this year, people cry.

And why should it? I didn't hear any references to Womens Rugby, Rugby 7s, Basketball, Ice Hockey, World Rally Championship, or any number of other sports that fans of those sports will be crying about, the same way that speedway fans cry about the lack of speedway. So why is speedway so special, other than it's "your" sport?

I've not found the statistics for this year, but if Geraint Thomas (the winner) got as many votes this year as Andy Murray got in 2016, then that will amount to about 250,000. In 2016, Mo Farah, was in 5th place and still got over 50,000 votes.

Now lets do some sums. There are 20 speedway teams in Britain, pulling in an aggregate of probably under 15,000 paying customers every week. That's how widespread interest in British Speedway is. Even on speedways big day out in the sun, at Cardiff, there are less people in the Principality Stadium, (and that includes the Foreign Legion of fans from Poland, Sweden Germany, etc), than there were voters for Mo Farah. Until the numbers for speedway improve, can you honestly blame the BBC for not taking it seriously?

Let's get a reality check. Apart from the old faithful, nobody else cares about speedway in Britain any more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Why wasn't Speedway included in SPOTY this year, people cry.

And why should it? I didn't hear any references to Womens Rugby, Rugby 7s, Basketball, Ice Hockey, World Rally Championship, or any number of other sports that fans of those sports will be crying about, the same way that speedway fans cry about the lack of speedway. So why is speedway so special, other than it's "your" sport?

I've not found the statistics for this year, but if Geraint Thomas (the winner) got as many votes this year as Andy Murray got in 2016, then that will amount to about 250,000. In 2016, Mo Farah, was in 5th place and still got over 50,000 votes.

Now lets do some sums. There are 20 speedway teams in Britain, pulling in an aggregate of probably under 15,000 paying customers every week. That's how widespread interest in British Speedway is. Even on speedways big day out in the sun, at Cardiff, there are less people in the Principality Stadium, (and that includes the Foreign Legion of fans from Poland, Sweden Germany, etc), than there were voters for Mo Farah. Until the numbers for speedway improve, can you honestly blame the BBC for not taking it seriously?

Let's get a reality check. Apart from the old faithful, nobody else cares about speedway in Britain any more. 

:t: