British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bill94d

SPOTY

It is still the British Broadcasting Corporation and it taxes virtually everyone in the country.

The way it has behaved over its beloved SPOTY and speedway is nothing short of scandalous.

Now we are ignored – once they flushed (so it is said) speedway fans' votes down the toilet.

10 minutes ago, gustix said:

It would be hard to name a stock car world champion simply because there is not and never has been one.

Former speedway promoter who’s name is dirt listed as one!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BriSCA_Formula_1_Stock_Cars_World_Championship

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bscdaonline.com/2017/10/10/towndoor-continues-bamforth-legacy-with-shootout-finale-sponsorship/amp/

Edited by iris123

33 minutes ago, iris123 said:

It's a good thing that Hot Rods are TOTALLY unrelated to stock cars, as Barry Lee won four World Championships...

Steve

I was emphasising there is not ONE stock car world champion. I agree entirely that there is a Brisca F1 world champion. There's also a Brisca F2 world champion. And there are several other contact formulas with world champions.

In the non-contact short circuit car racing aka stock car racing world there are non-contact formulas with world champions, the most prestigious being National Hot Rods.

My response was to inform a previous Poster who made a comment about a 'stock car world championship' that different specifications have their own world championships/champions.

Edited by Guest

Oh don’t mention Barry Lee!!!

:D

30 minutes ago, gustix said:

I was emphasising there is not ONE stock car world champion. I agree entirely that there is a Brisca F1 world champion. There's also a Brisca F2 world champion. And there are several other contact formulas with world champions.

In the non-contact short circuit car racing aka stock car racing world there are non-contact formulas with world champions, the most prestigious being National Hot Rods.

My response was to inform a previous Poster who made a comment about a 'stock car world championship' that different specifications have their own world championships/champions.

I’ll consider myself suitably chastised in that case and brace myself for a similar telling off from the disabled curling community and their multiple classifications.

Others however will be fascinated to hear of even more British winners from the nooks and crannies of the sporting world. No doubt they will soon be campaigning  for every single last one of them to get a name check at SPOTY 2019.

14 minutes ago, falcace said:

I’ll consider myself suitably chastised in that case and brace myself for a similar telling off from the disabled curling community and their multiple classifications.

Others however will be fascinated to hear of even more British winners from the nooks and crannies of the sporting world. No doubt they will soon be campaigning  for every single last one of them to get a name check at SPOTY 2019.

Don't worry falcace. The 'stock car' community don't appear concerned at non-recognition on SPOTY. There are quite a few forum groups dedicated to short oval car racing and I don't ever recall the programme being mentioned on any of them.

6 minutes ago, gustix said:

Don't worry falcace. The 'stock car' community don't appear concerned at non-recognition on SPOTY. There are quite a few forum groups dedicated to short oval car racing and I don't ever recall the programme being mentioned on any of them.

Stock cars is more a hobby than a sport.....

6 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Stock cars is more a hobby than a sport.....

It can be 'an expensive hobby' dontforgetthefueltapsbruv. Some cars in the main formulas (contact) Brisca F1 and non-contact (National Hot Rods) are valued at £20,000 each.

And its supporters - unlike many speedway supporters - don't go out of their way to ridicule the motorbike fraternity!

Edited by Guest

Just now, gustix said:

It can be 'an expensive hobby.' Some cars in the man formulas (contact) Brisca F1 and non-contact (National Hot Rods) are valued at £20,000 each.

And its supporters - unlike many speedway supporters - don't go out of their way to ridicule the motorbike fraternity!

I thought you are a fan of the cars and take almost every opportunity to put modern speedway or Tai Woffinden down even though you readily admit to having little interest in the sport and won’t attend!!!Strange that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

It can be 'an expensive hobby' dontforgetthefueltapsbruv. Some cars in the main formulas (contact) Brisca F1 and non-contact (National Hot Rods) are valued at £20,000 each.

Who is ridiculing stock cars?

And what relevance does the expense have apart from backing up my hobby comment!

The cars are a labour of love and incredibly expensive yet the rewards are quite small - that sounds like the foundation of a hobby to me :P

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, falcace said:

Woffy is not really one them is he ..this guy is a 3 time World Champion 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, falcace said:

Appeasement. Yes, who wouldn't watch a good two hours of appeasing television?

Where exactly are you drawing the line on this for British world champions?  Will cheese rolling get a mention? Wife carrying perhaps? Perhaps the appeasement should also extend to the section for those who passed away? There must have been hundreds of former professional footballers, rugby players, athletes, boxers and cricketers and so on who have passed on in 2018. It seems that is only reserved for those of national and international significance, just like, erm everything else on SPOTY. 

If SPOTY did serve up the type of exercise you are championing - a box ticking exercise to appease and untwist the knickers of the easily offended from every minority sport, then it truly would become an irrelevance. Wheelchair curling. Tick. Stock Car Racing. Tick. Blind Golf. Tick. The list goes on and on....

Instead, it still watched by 9m people, a five figure live audience, is front page news and it still winds you up weeks later.

It doesn't wind me up.

I simply find it amusing that people have such a lack of intelligence they can't put forward any form of sensible argument.

This latest one of yours is ever more desperate. 

I'd suggest you quit embarassing yourself now and move on. 

SPOTY served up what I suggested year after year for decades. The fact you now have to resort to making up 'sports' that don't exist, let alone that we have World Champions in really does show that you have no argument at all.

You can try and portray speedway as a sport akin to some of these made up ones you are listing as much as you like, the facts remain, Woffinden is World Champion of a truly international sport, performs in front of 40,000 fans at Cardiff, 50,000 fans in Wroclaw as well as five figure crowds at other GP's across Europe, something which the rest of your minority and made up sports don't.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, iwright71 said:

Would any of your quizzers have been able to identify any of England's  netball team who won 2 awards at SPOTY

As I didn't include any pictures of netball players in the Quiz, I can't say for sure!

But given the two of "my regulars" are members of the local netball team, and joined Tracey Neville's squad when they were in Spain for warm weather training....I'm guessing the answer would be "YES"!!!!!:cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Grachan said:

......Out of interest, you say you are in Spain. What sort of public profile does Ana Currasco have there? Would she have been easily recognisable?

Good call, and I really don't know the answer…….The next time I do a sports picture quiz I’ll include her. That said in previous quizzes I have included photos of Marc Marquez, Aleix Espargaro, Jorge Lorenzo and Cal Crutchlow, and ALL have been easily identified.

Interestingly Woffenden joins a rather unique group, which gained zero recognition in previous quizzes. The others Santiago Abascal (leader of Spain’s fascist party VOX), Elena Farga (runner up in Factor X), and Scott Morrison (the Australian PM). That said Woffenden does become the first “sporting personality” to get a big fat ZERO!

• Like 1