British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bill94d

SPOTY

1 hour ago, Mr Snackette said:

On that Steve we can agree. I don't think that showing a picture of "Sprouts" acknowledging his  achievements on his passing would have damaged the show's editorial integrity!

On a lighter note, I was amused to see at the bottom of my last piece, an emoji which said: "Tsunami is Sad".

Something I have thought for years!:rofl: 

I wouldn't put too much trust in auntie beebs "editorial policy " aside from Woffinden, Mauger and Moore to blank the first Women's  British Open in 16 years was disgraceful. Sums up the integrity of the BBC

2 hours ago, iwright71 said:

I wouldn't put too much trust in auntie beebs "editorial policy " aside from Woffinden, Mauger and Moore to blank the first Women's  British Open in 16 years was disgraceful. Sums up the integrity of the BBC

I stand to be corrected but I could swear I thought I heard mention of Georgia Hall's achievement....but then again! On a point of information it was the first British winner since Catriona Matthew some 9 (not 16) years ago! Now forgetting our friends from North of the Border would be an editorial faux-pas!!:nono:

13 hours ago, Mr Snackette said:

I stand to be corrected but I could swear I thought I heard mention of Georgia Hall's achievement....but then again! On a point of information it was the first British winner since Catriona Matthew some 9 (not 16) years ago! Now forgetting our friends from North of the Border would be an editorial faux-pas!!:nono:

And, the BBC themselves are the ones most voiciferously questioning her lack of recognition at SPOTY. I don't know of any other media organisation that holds itself to account so stringently! I only wish Fleet Street took the same approach. 

1 hour ago, falcace said:

And, the BBC themselves are the ones most voiciferously questioning her lack of recognition at SPOTY. I don't know of any other media organisation that holds itself to account so stringently! I only wish Fleet Street took the same approach. 

Easy to vociferously question after the fact and you are being rounded on by the hyenas.

Some laughable comments though, including "Golf never gets a look in at the SPOTY" lol.

4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Easy to vociferously question after the fact and you are being rounded on by the hyenas.

Some laughable comments though, including "Golf never gets a look in at the SPOTY" lol.

Ah, welcome back. Happy New Year.

Before you sidle back into the debate, will you now be able to answer my question. You made a lengthy post stating that I was making up sports, effectively lying. That's incorrect and has proven to be so.

So, I'll try again, are you going to redact that and admit your mistake and apologise? Are you big enough to admit that? Or will you just sit back in the shadows hoping it just goes away?  Let's see.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, falcace said:

Ah, welcome back. Happy New Year.

Before you sidle back into the debate, will you now be able to answer my question. You made a lengthy post stating that I was making up sports, effectively lying. That's incorrect and has proven to be so.

So, I'll try again, are you going to redact that and admit your mistake and apologise? Are you big enough to admit that? Or will you just sit back in the shadows hoping it just goes away?  Let's see.

They are not officially recognised sports in the UK.

On 12/31/2018 at 3:58 PM, chunky said:

Okay, let's take everything literally...

Thing is, I have read obituaries for bit-part actors I have never heard of, and lower-level footballers I have never heard of, and quite honestly, I don't really see their significance. However, I accept it.

Recently, we have had obits for a Tibetan monk who was imprisoned by the Chinese, and a Russian dissident who fought for "freedom of thought". You get my drift?

Forget the "speedway bubble"; of course it is now a minority sport, but it wasn't always like that. When Booey was at his peak, speedway was the second most popular spectator sport in Britain, and he can rightly lay claim to be England's best rider of the 1960's. You feel he should only be remembered for being on a winning WTC team? That is doing him a GREAT disservice.

A 20-plus year career, most of which was at the top level. Almost a decade as England's top rider, and probably in the world's top ten for that period. Were that a footballer, a golfer, or a badminton player, that kind of CV would undoubtedly be enough to earn an obituary. In a hugely popular spectator sport of the era, it clearly meant nothing.

For me, it is all about RESPECT. If you are one of the elite, you deserve the respect regardless of your field... What I am saying is that I am not complaining about who IS included, but a small handful who are NOT included.

Steve

So, you were not being literal. :rolleyes:

The problem is when your whole point is around THAT being compared to THIS and THAT is knowingly untrue, well, then the comparison and THIS are invalid and your point is redundant. As for Tibetan and Russian historical figures, I am not going to pretend to be an expert and I'll take a punt that goes for you too and the bloke down the pub too. But I do trust that the qualified professionals employed to make those decisions will be in a better position than you, I or BDTP to make those judgments over who are truly significant national and international figures.  

I will also add I am not being disrespectful to Nigel Boocock. My post clearly said that to look at it from the point of view from the layperson. I am a speedway fan, I am biased. My personal view, will - like yours - be extremely coloured - and not at all consistent with the big picture view that those in charge of obituaries have to be.

Finally, I like the tactic of  "not being literal'  later on. Nice face-saver. :D

Edited by falcace

12 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

They are not officially recognised sports in the UK.

Sigh :rolleyes:

Yes they are. If you can't be bothered to find out (one is even a Paralympic sport and the world governing body is in the UK!) - that's your business. Still, I have my answer, you are not big enough to admit your mistake. Best wishes for a happier 2019 to you.

3 minutes ago, falcace said:

Sigh :rolleyes:

Yes they are. If you can't be bothered to find out (one is even a Paralympic sport and the world governing body is in the UK!) - that's your business. Still, I have my answer, you are not big enough to admit your mistake. Best wishes for a happier 2019 to you.

No they are not. 

https://www.sportengland.org/our-work/national-governing-bodies/sports-that-we-recognise/

Find me wife carrying or whatever the 'cheese' sport you dug up is listed and I'll admit my mistake.

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

No they are not. 

https://www.sportengland.org/our-work/national-governing-bodies/sports-that-we-recognise/

Find me wife carrying or whatever the 'cheese' sport you dug up is listed and I'll admit my mistake.

I must be ruddy mad to take the bait. 

You have jumped from accusing me of making up sports to now falling back on Sport England as a guide. They are a reasonable pointer on the range of sports in England. But to directly quote the site you have linked to:

"The sports councils do not decide what is and what is not a sport. There are many different opinions as to what constitutes a sporting activity and the sports councils do not have their own definition of sport. "

The activities I have mentioned all exist, if not in your mind, then you will find google a useful tool. I mention these as extreme examples to try and encourage you to tell us where the line should be drawn for SPOTY. Help us all extract some clarity from the fog in your mind. So, far there is no line forthcoming. Nine pages in, I think it's safe to say we are not going to see one.

So, for the third and final time, are you big enough to admit that you were wrong in accusing me of making things up? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BWitcher said:

No they are not. 

Find me Skeleton on that list.

1 hour ago, falcace said:

The activities I have mentioned all exist,

Thankyou for admitting I was correct all along.

You've spent half the thread arguing a point that was never up for discussion or even relevant, i.e. the state of league speedway in the UK... then further wasted it with this nonsense. 

Good to see you've now come to your senses. 

49 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Grechan, I really can't be bothered to look, but given that the sport received £6.5 million in the four years leading up to Pyeongchang 2018 from Sport England I'm guessing they recognise it as a sport!!! For more information try reading the following: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/winter-olympics/2018/01/09/skeleton-funding-could-slide-failing-tocommit-success-winter/   I hope this helps allay your fears!:)

55 minutes ago, Mr Snackette said:

Grechan, I really can't be bothered to look, but given that the sport received £6.5 million in the four years leading up to Pyeongchang 2018 from Sport England I'm guessing they recognise it as a sport!!! For more information try reading the following: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/winter-olympics/2018/01/09/skeleton-funding-could-slide-failing-tocommit-success-winter/   I hope this helps allay your fears!:)

That's actually pretty much my point.

Skeleton is a sport that must be recognised, as one of its participants was nominated for SPOTY.

Yet it doesn't appear on that list, so therefore it cannot be a definitive list of ALL sports, as there are also valid sports that don't appear on it.

Edited by Grachan

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

It falls under Bobsleigh.

Click on the link.