British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bill94d

SPOTY

35 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

It falls under Bobsleigh.

Click on the link.

So it is. Bet you thought I'd got you there for a moment, though! ☺

By the way, here is an article referring to Cheese Rolling as a sport.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/england/articles/a-quick-guide-to-cheese-rolling-englands-strangest-sport/

Just thought I'd mention it.

And here is one about wife carrying.

https://wmmr.com/2017/12/11/wife-carrying-shockingly-real-sport-happens-america/

Edited by Grachan

16 minutes ago, Grachan said:

So it is. Bet you thought I'd got you there for a moment, though! ☺

By the way, here is an article referring to Cheese Rolling as a sport.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/england/articles/a-quick-guide-to-cheese-rolling-englands-strangest-sport/

Just thought I'd mention it.

And here is one about wife carrying.

https://wmmr.com/2017/12/11/wife-carrying-shockingly-real-sport-happens-america/

I'd already checked for it myself as I was wondering why it wasn't there!

I've seen the articles about those pastimes/activities..  

Stirring the pot slightly: how many of the afore-mentioned sports stars have actual personailities in addition to their sporting ability ?  We know Tai has but the rest, I dunno....

6 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Stirring the pot slightly: how many of the afore-mentioned sports stars have actual personailities in addition to their sporting ability ?  We know Tai has but the rest, I dunno....

Martin we now seem to have gone full circle. I entered this debate to comment that, in my totally non-representative quiz, no one  recognised (nor heard of ) Woffenden. As you rightly say, WE know him, but sadly outside the "Speedway bubble" he is a relative unknown! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Snackette said:

Martin we now seem to have gone full circle. I entered this debate to comment that, in my totally non-representative quiz, no one  recognised (nor heard of ) Woffenden. As you rightly say, WE know him, but sadly outside the "Speedway bubble" he is a relative unknown! 

I think it's always been that way -certainly since I started going in the 1970s. It's just that the bubble is getting smaller.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I think it's always been that way -certainly since I started going in the 1970s. It's just that the bubble is getting smaller.

I agree Grachan, but back in the day "The Bubble" was big enough that Briggo was second in SPOTY, and was the subject of an episode of "This is Your Life". Some might go as far as to say that "The Bubble" isn't just getting smaller .........it's almost burst!!!

1 hour ago, Mr Snackette said:

I agree Grachan, but back in the day "The Bubble" was big enough that Briggo was second in SPOTY, and was the subject of an episode of "This is Your Life". Some might go as far as to say that "The Bubble" isn't just getting smaller .........it's almost burst!!!

BACK in the day (cannot remember the exact year) went to Maine Road, the old home of Manchester City, with Briggo prior to the BLRC at Belle Vue that night, and he was surrounded by people asking fir his autograph. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Snackette said:

You 'claimed' that, of course there is no evidence that what you say is indeed true.

It has already been pointed out that your claim is indeed false as of the 61 people present, you knew who Woffinden was.

Equally, it's irrelevant anyway and is just down to the media coverage given. Had the media not given coverage to Lizzy Yarnold nobody would have recognised her either.. (although only one extra person did).

5 hours ago, Mr Snackette said:

:D

Some are equally incapable of separating you (the speedway fan on a speedway forum, talking about speedway) from your relatively random 60 people.  As if such an exercise would even enter the head of some random person who hadn't even heard of speedway?! Whether it's a quick straw poll or a wide ranging investigation you are doing, you don't include yourself in your sample - you, who knows the subject, are the least representative of all!

Still, I do admire your willingness to tolerate and humour some folk. You've certainly got more patience than I have. There comes a point when you are having a debate with a fool and you  wonder who is being the more foolish. Best ignored really.

Well Tai kinda HAS been noticed by the general populace.  A few folk told me they saw 'that lad from Scunthorpe with all the tattoos on (whatever TV programme he appeared on) he did well didn't he".  Also whenever I've mentioned speedway, I get asked "how is that lad from Scunthorpe doing, the one with the tattoos?".  Ok, I'm talking about folk who are unlikely to go to speedway but Tai has been noticed.   Now, as to how the sport as a whole gets him noticed by people who are likely to go to speedway, well that's another story.  Though one of my bug-bears is of actually promoting speedway, and I don't just mean 'pushing the heck out of a meeting' only when the team is on TV, but regular promoting.  Someone once said 'build it and they will come', well 'tell them and they may come, keep it a secret and they won't come as they won't know about it'....

1 hour ago, falcace said:

:D

Some are equally incapable of separating you (the speedway fan on a speedway forum, talking about speedway) from your relatively random 60 people.  As if such an exercise would even enter the head of some random person who hadn't even heard of speedway?! Whether it's a quick straw poll or a wide ranging investigation you are doing, you don't include yourself in your sample - you, who knows the subject, are the least representative of all!

Still, I do admire your willingness to tolerate and humour some folk. You've certainly got more patience than I have. There comes a point when you are having a debate with a fool and you  wonder who is being the more foolish. Best ignored really.

it isn't a question of patience, the more extreme BWitcher's comments, the more amusing they become! With his (or her) argument hopelessly lost, he (or she) is adopting classic deflection tactics. Only an idiot would even suggest that the Quiz Master was one of the "quizzers" or contestants, particularly as I originally posted: ".........I'm not suggesting that the contestants in my quiz were a representative cross-section. However they are keen quizzers with a good general knowledge... yet not one of the could recognise nor name the current world speedway champion!! I wouldn't suggest  BWitcher is an idiot, just that he (or she) is attempting to deflect attention away from the silliness of the hole he (or she) has dug for him (or her) self!!!!:D

Anyway, I think enough's enough....adios amigos (or is that amigas)!!:cheers:

Edited by Mr Snackette

On 31 December 2018 at 9:42 AM, Mr Snackette said:

A thoughtful piece, but sadly so full of generalisations that it loses any meaningful creedence!

You appear to suggest that I am someone who “wishes to knock the sport”, and my rationale for doing so is that “many of those no longer attend ……….. do so in an attempt to justify their own decision not to go any more”.

Here are some facts for your to absorb.

My comments were not designed to, in your own refreshing expression, reflect the views of someone who “wishes to knock the sport”, but to point out that in my non representative quiz, no one recognised Woffenden...FACT.

I have no need to  justify my own decision not to go any more, given that my nearest track is some 2,300 km. away. That said when I do return to the UK (visits that are now admittedly becoming more infrequent) I tend to take it a meeting.

I was, in my own clumsy way, pointing out that the BBC had an editorial choice to make. The fact that few people apart from the likes of us have actually heard of Woffenden, let alone recognise him speaks volumes. By contrast I’m no authority on Skeleton Bob Racing, but have  I have heard of Lizzie Arnold, and so to have others...as my unrepresentative quiz illustrated!

“Your view (because you have stated no criticism of or opposition to her nomination) is that they should be treated entirely differently.” Another of your wild assumptions. I have never expressed such a view. I respect the BBC’s editorial judgement, and if they decided that others should be nominated ahead of Woffenden, is a decision for them. Whilst I may or may not agree with it or not, is not an indication that I consider that they be treated entirely differently.

So I am not biased, far from it, but I feel your failure to understand ( and accept) the reasons why the BBC reached the decision they did, does say (perhaps) a little more about you!!

I might take your ramblings slightly more seriously if you actually spelt Tai's surname correctly just for once! I still don't follow your argument about a group of people in a non-Speedway country not recognising that sport's world champion (Woffinden)

3 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

I might take your ramblings slightly more seriously if you actually spelt Tai's surname correctly just for once! I still don't follow your argument about a group of people in a non-Speedway country not recognising that sport's world champion (Woffinden)

Actually he did, in one of his earlier posts, but then reverted back to the no- "I" version.

Steve

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Midland Red said:

I might take your ramblings slightly more seriously if you actually spelt Tai's surname correctly just for once!.........

Oh the shame!! Mind you that probably just underlines my case perfectly......I could always spell Jerzy Szczakiel.......and apparently I still can!!!:cheers:

Edited by Mr Snackette
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1