British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bill94d

SPOTY

4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Or ANYTHING involving women.

Look at the pandering to the womens netball team. I wonder how many they play in front off?

I'll admit I am way out of touch as I didn't see a single minute of the Commonwealth games but half watching the programme last night (it was on at my Nans but there was lots of talking from family) I had assumed they had won the World Championships or something similar.. found out later it was the Commonwealth games. Seriously!

If Tai announced he was identifying as a non binary next season and won the Title he'd have a big feature, guaranteed.

Some games get crowds of 7,000 (internationals mainly)and as many as 400,000 watch the coverage on Sky.Compared to the number who watch speedway and the  average 80,000 BT audience I would say netball is doing rather well in comparison

• Like 2

Well 'some' speedway meetings get crowds of 40,000 plus.

However, please point out where I said speedway deserved more coverage than netball?

As you can't your comment is completely irrelevant and redundant.

Unless you wish to compare netball to the teams it was actually up against.. Europes Ryder Cup Golf team for instance. Feel free to come back with a comparison.

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Well 'some' speedway meetings get crowds of 40,000 plus.

However, please point out where I said speedway deserved more coverage than netball?

As you can't your comment is completely irrelevant and redundant.

Unless you wish to compare netball to the teams it was actually up against.. Europes Ryder Cup Golf team for instance. Feel free to come back with a comparison

Well you did ask how many watch netball so I provided some information.Sorry,I know my place...and rubbishy forums like this obviously isn't one of them.

Edited by martin_t
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bill94d said:

I suppose it was inevitable there would not be a mention of Tai's achievements this year,(unless I blinked and missed it) in the above last night.  However what upset me most was the omission of Ronnie Moore and Ivan Mauger in the list of those who have departed this mortal coil this year. Very disrespectful to riders who in their day rode at Wembley in front of 90000 people. 

Ronnie Moore and Ivan Mauger are not British (and few will remember they rode for a 'British' team), and were involved in a sport that ranks somewhere alongside cheese rolling nowadays. 

I'm not sure why people are surprised by SPOTY each year - it's never been much interested in sports it doesn't cover. Yet every year there's the predictable letters from 'outraged of Tunbridge Wells' about the omission of so-and-sos favourite sport. Why do people bother watching it? :D

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, martin_t said:

Well you did ask how many watch netball so I provided some information.Sorry,I know my place...and rubbishy forums like this obviously isn't one of them.

Your reply showed, not many. Unable to handle that, you've stormed off in a hissy fit.

16 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Look at the pandering to the womens netball team. I wonder how many they play in front off?

I'll admit I am way out of touch as I didn't see a single minute of the Commonwealth games but half watching the programme last night (it was on at my Nans but there was lots of talking from family) I had assumed they had won the World Championships or something similar.. found out later it was the Commonwealth games. Seriously!

If Tai announced he was identifying as a non binary next season and won the Title he'd have a big feature, guaranteed.

Tbf, winning the commonwealth games is as big as winning world championships in netball

6 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Tbf, winning the commonwealth games is as big as winning world championships in netball

Fair point.

19 hours ago, BWitcher said:

The problem is that the BBC are (and it might be argued, have to be) politically correct. That means if by far and away the 5 greatest sporting achievements were made by white males one of them at least would be dropped to accommodate a female and someone from an ethnic minority. It also means that the awards will never have the credibility that they should, even if the allegations of vote rigging are untrue. 

The sadness of that is it damages the achievements of female and black sportsmen, because they don't know if they are there because of what they achieved or because they are female and black. 

While you might - and I think you have a point - object to netball, I would say that skeleton racing is far more of a minority sport in terms of UK participants and spectators. I nevertheless suspect that there would be few who would deny Lizzy Yarnold her nomination as Britain's greatest ever winter Olympian. For me, and in terms of achievement, I would say that hers has been the biggest of all. 

You'd think, though, that others who were the greatest ever Briton in their field - even if that is a minority sport - might at least have been mentioned.

Humph is spot on, though. Just don't watch it.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

The problem is that the BBC are (and it might be argued, have to be) politically correct. That means if by far and away the 5 greatest sporting achievements were made by white males one of them at least would be dropped to accommodate a female and someone from an ethnic minority. It also means that the awards will never have the credibility that they should, even if the allegations of vote rigging are untrue. 

The sadness of that is it damages the achievements of female and black sportsmen, because they don't know if they are there because of what they achieved or because they are female and black. 

While you might - and I think you have a point - object to netball, I would say that skeleton racing is far more of a minority sport in terms of UK participants and spectators. I nevertheless suspect that there would be few who would deny Lizzy Yarnold her nomination as Britain's greatest ever winter Olympian. For me, and in terms of achievement, I would say that hers has been the biggest of all. 

You'd think, though, that others who were the greatest ever Briton in their field - even if that is a minority sport - might at least have been mentioned.

Humph is spot on, though. Just don't watch it.

...Haven't bothered for years since I ceased to watch most sports on TV for various reasons.

10 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Ronnie Moore and Ivan Mauger are not British (and few will remember they rode for a 'British' team), and were involved in a sport that ranks somewhere alongside cheese rolling nowadays. 

I'm not sure why people are surprised by SPOTY each year - it's never been much interested in sports it doesn't cover. Yet every year there's the predictable letters from 'outraged of Tunbridge Wells' about the omission of so-and-sos favourite sport. Why do people bother watching it? :D

Francesco Molinari and Billie Jean King are not British either but got awards. Ivan and Ronnie have MBE and OBE between them, so nearly British. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, bill94d said:

Francesco Molinari and Billie Jean King are not British either but got awards. Ivan and Ronnie have MBE and OBE between them, so nearly British. 

...and of course represented Great Britain during the sixties and seventies.

• Like 1

Sometimes I think people watch Sports Personality of the Year to check that speedway isn't mentioned, just so that they can have a moan about it after.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Sometimes I think people watch Sports Personality of the Year to check that speedway isn't mentioned, just so that they can have a moan about it after.

Especially when some fans can't even agree if Tai is British or not ..... 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 3:13 PM, Richard Weston said:

One of the problems is that the BBC sees speedway as a Sky TV sport (now BT) and not one of "their own".

It seems as if preference is given to sports broadcast by the Beeb.

Shame on them.

The clue is in the title it's BBC sports personality not sports personality so will always focus on BBC sports. 

However I agree that no mention of Ronnie, Ivan or Tai is terrible. 

Having said that I haven't watched the bloody thing for 20 years I got fed up of the beeb blowing smoke up a few over inflated ego's rear ends! 

Edited by Spl77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spl77 said:

The clue is in the title it's BBC sports personality not sports personality so will always focus on BBC sports. 

However I agree that no mention of Ronnie, Ivan or Tai is terrible. 

Having said that I haven't watched the bloody thing for 20 years I got fed up of the beeb blowing smoke up a few over inflated ego's rear ends! 

When was the last time F1 was on the BBC?. Speedway just isn't a sport worth showing anymore.