British Speedway Forum
Tigerforever

Play off contenders

21 hours ago, CountyGround said:

PLAY OFF CONTENDERS

Is it only me that I can see no point of the "Play offs" were they not introduced for the benefit of Sky ref. the Elite league?

The Championship "Play off" winners won't be getting promoted the following year, so whats the point!

I would rather see an end of season K. O. Cup.  

I've said it before but I think the promoters have taken their eye off the main event,  I think we the supporters want weekly entertainment. The Promoters put all their efforts into winning maximum league points by any method with entertainment & good speedway not top of their shopping list...... 

Teams all have bigger issues than who will make the play-offs, but the "Promoters" of those teams still have their heads buried in the sand!

20 hours ago, jenga said:

what a wonderful idea . has that been done before then ?  good old 13 heats and a proper 2nd half .  chance to bring on your young uns as well

Mmmmmmmmmm not sure on the silver but the conference did ( I think ) have a bronze best competition & we could still run 15 heats and 2nd halves if the 1st heat starts as stated at Newcastle quote ( Tapes up 18.30) rather than 18.40... 18.45 & especially in the early months people who like to stand outside don't get hacked off when it's cold

Here's another vote for the Silver Helmet. (Wouldn't exactly be too difficult to organise, would it?...).

15 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Do you think any current promotions genuinely give a toss about bringing on young uns? The vast majority of M/SDL teams are all organised and run by devoted individuals despite clubs/BSPA best attempts to hold them back (i agree the NJL is a little different). Until everyone stops thinking about the next meeting and has a genuine view to the future there will be no future.

You couldn't be more wrong, especially in the North where there isn't a NL team. (Belle Vue is Midlands to us.). The southern teams have the combined Sdl/Mdl as well as the NL.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tsunami said:

You couldn't be more wrong, especially in the North where there isn't a NL team. (Belle Vue is Midlands to us.). The southern teams have the combined Sdl/Mdl as well as the NL.

Apologies Tsunami if that came across wrong i wasn't digging the NJL i was actually praising the fact that the majority of sides bear the main club name which indicates a level of support from the main team despite the dreadful lack of NL teams further up the country.

• Thanks 1

As this is about Play-off contenders, I'll back Edinburgh and Berwick for sure (each has three Aussies in the side) plus Scunthorpe and Somerset (two each).

Obviously, Birmingham, Eastbourne and Glasgow are non-starters -- no Aussies!   :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uluru said:

As this is about Play-off contenders, I'll back Edinburgh and Berwick for sure (each has three Aussies in the side) plus Scunthorpe and Somerset (two each).

Obviously, Birmingham, Eastbourne and Glasgow are non-starters -- no Aussies!   :D

No Aussies, no visas :), Eastie will be unbeaten at home and pick some up away, think that's enough for the playoffs then who knows!

• Like 2

On 2/18/2019 at 8:35 PM, mmmmethanol said:

Here's another vote for the Silver Helmet. (Wouldn't exactly be too difficult to organise, would it?...).

Yes, but......

Two top scorers have an extra race.   Each, if they are No 1 in their team, earns about £100 per point.  The riders would expect to be paid for racing for the Helmet.   That's an extra £500 to be paid out -- and I can't imagine the prospect of watching that race would bring in the extra thirty adults -- who wouldn't be coming otherwise -- to balance the books.

So, although I'd love to see the Silver Helmet coming back, I can't see it as a feasible prospect.  

Edited by crescent girl
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Yes, but......

Two top scorers have an extra race.   Each, if they are No 1 in their team, earns about £100 per point.  The riders would expect to be paid for racing for the Helmet.   That's an extra £500 to be paid out -- and I can't imagine the prospect of watching that race would bring in the extra thirty adults -- who wouldn't be coming otherwise to balance the books.

So, although I'd love to see the Silver Helmet coming back, I can't see it as a feasible prospect.  

£100.00 a point eh . this figure was denied about riders points money  by the workington promotion  ( the last one ) a few years ago , but still worky were accused of paying over the odds in the last few years for riders points money .   so whats true and what is not ?

8 hours ago, jenga said:

£100.00 a point eh . this figure was denied about riders points money  by the workington promotion  ( the last one ) a few years ago , but still worky were accused of paying over the odds in the last few years for riders points money .   so whats true and what is not ?

£100 a point for probably your no 1 and 2 if they are 8 - 9 point + men in CL would now be the norm.

Some top riders even in CL have a "guarantee" that would pay a fixed sum in all matches.

I heard that's what Rye House were paying in PL last season - sums of £1200 a meeting guaranteed quoted, and some more experienced CL double up's getting same sort of figures.

There are teams who don't go for top end strength but solid 1-7 built around 6-7 point riders but even then you would expect to pay about £70 a point. 

Zummerzet Sheffield Redcar Eastbourne

On 3/7/2019 at 6:50 AM, HGould said:

£100 a point for probably your no 1 and 2 if they are 8 - 9 point + men in CL would now be the norm.

Some top riders even in CL have a "guarantee" that would pay a fixed sum in all matches.

I heard that's what Rye House were paying in PL last season - sums of £1200 a meeting guaranteed quoted, and some more experienced CL double up's getting same sort of figures.

There are teams who don't go for top end strength but solid 1-7 built around 6-7 point riders but even then you would expect to pay about £70 a point. 

You gotta pay the big bucks tho if you want the quality of rider such as wells, r worrall or ostergard

9 minutes ago, Robinh88 said:

You gotta pay the big bucks tho if you want the quality of rider such as wells, r worrall or ostergard

you do speak  a lot of lot of rubbish robbin88most of the timewhen your on here at timeslollollol mmmmmmmm