British Speedway Forum
Tigerforever

Play off contenders

On 5/30/2019 at 7:53 AM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Why did this contenders thread go cold? However I still stand by what I said on the 27th March 2019 "The two Stand out teams for me are Glasgow and Leicester and both should be a shoe in for a top four spot"

Regards
THJ

Think that will definitely be the final unless they meet in the Semi Finals

On 5/30/2019 at 7:53 AM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Why did this contenders thread go cold? However I still stand by what I said on the 27th March 2019 "The two Stand out teams for me are Glasgow and Leicester and both should be a shoe in for a top four spot"

Regards
THJ

Think it's gone quiet because of the lack of league matches causing a bit of disinterest at the moment ,  apart from the 2 stand out teams mentioned, anyone's guess.  

18 hours ago, gazzac said:

Think it's gone quiet because of the lack of league matches causing a bit of disinterest at the moment ,  apart from the 2 stand out teams mentioned, anyone's guess.  

I know the weather has been unfortunate at times but it's crazy we are heading towards the end of June and some teams have only raced twice, Redcar haven't had a league meeting at all and others have had 7 fixtures!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

I know the weather has been unfortunate at times but it's crazy we are heading towards the end of June and some teams have only raced twice, Redcar haven't had a league meeting at all and others have had 7 fixtures!

Like has been mentioned on other posts call offs are happening much more frequently nowadays,unless it’s dry majority of riders just moan and don't want to ride.Riders missing doesn’t help the situation if it arises.

Don't rule out Birmingham Brummies.

Can't yet decide if some Teams already have too many matches to cram in (Redcar) or have ridden too many too soon (Eastbourne) and may suffer as a result. 

I think current top 4 Leicester / Sheffield / Somerset / Glasgow may well stay there followed by Redcar - Birmingham - Eastbourne in that order.

I think the Brummies will gatecrash the top 4 party. Redcar will struggle eventually with too many meetings in too short a time

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I think the Brummies will gatecrash the top 4 party. Redcar will struggle eventually with too many meetings in too short a time

it did not bother workington last season , kept them all tuned in for the last 2 months of a season !

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jenga said:

it did not bother workington last season , kept them all tuned in for the last 2 months of a season !

Very true but it can take its toll - on machinery and injuries.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:39 AM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Always hard to predict however IMHO I think this season will be very close and there wont be much to choose from between them all by the end of the season.

The two Stand out teams for me are Glasgow and Leicester and both should be a shoe in for a top four spot; closely followed by Sheffield Scunny Newcastle and Somerset fighting for the other two places however with a good wind and staying injury free Redcar and Berwick could upset the form book and sorry I feel Edinburgh and the two new boys Eastbourne and Birmingham will be fighting for the wooden spoon without any changes being made, however stating all that Workington ripped the form book up last year and clicked as a team and I do think apart from Glasgow and Leicester the whole thing should be very close between the rest and I certainly wish the best of luck to all teams and for a good injury free run which can make or break a clubs season.

Regards
THJ 

Honestly

Newcastle apart it wasn't very far away was it; (and not to blow ones trumpet too hard)

I still haven't changed my mind and think it will be a Leicester/Glasgow final; although I would love to see our nearest and dearest in Redcar upset that form book and do it for north east speedway, however; and IMHO whatever the outcome it is building to be a good finale to the end of the season

Regards
THJ

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Newcastle apart it wasn't very far away was it; (and not to blow ones trumpet too hard)

I still haven't changed my mind and think it will be a Leicester/Glasgow final; although I would love to see our nearest and dearest in Redcar upset that form book and do it for north east speedway, however; and IMHO whatever the outcome it is building to be a good finale to the end of the season

Regards
THJ

Pm me the euromillion numbers for Friday , also my five fold for Saturday send me the teams you would pick.

Thanks in advance THJ will give you a winners fee :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Regards
THJ

To be fair, you did identify 7 (of 11 in total) sides who could be play-off contenders - hardly Derren Brown! :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Gazc said:

Pm me the euro million numbers for Friday , also my five fold for Saturday send me the teams you would pick.

Thanks in advance THJ will give you a winners fee :D

If only Gaz if only.... If I could predict the Euro Millions numbers mate I would happily share them with you; after all; I'm sure you could manage with 85 million just as well as the full 170 million (I think I could that's for sure... it would be a struggle though... but I would bear the responsibility with modest humility) (Would I... Modest Humility? NAH not a chance) Also I would bring back Workington and not give a monkey's how much money it lost....

However if it helps I have had some success with a "Balance of Probability" method for the lottery that has had some near misses. This concept works on a given axiomatic mathematical formalisation in probability theory, and will bore the breast plate off you; so its lucky dips all the way mate and fingers crossed... (Good Luck Me Old Pal)

Oh and on your five fold if you cant pick five teams in the Scottish leagues to win you're just not trying however here are some English ones to have a go at

Bristol City to beat Reading
Preston to beat Barnsley
Sheff Wed to beat Wigan
Swansea to beat Stoke
Northampton to beat Leyton Orient

Oh and here's another tip "never pick Newcastle United as they are renown coupon spoilers"

Or how about 

Man City to beat Wolves over 2.5 goals   (3-0 or 3-1 or more)
Arsenal to beat Bournemouth over 2.5 goals (2-1 or 3-1 or 3-2)
Norwich vs Aston Villa over 2.5 goals (3-2 or 2-3 or 4-4 or anything else? doubt it will be 0-0))
West Ham vs Crystal Palace West Ham to Win or Draw over 1.5 goals (1-1 or 2-1 or 2-2)
Liverpool vs Leicester Liverpool to Win or Draw over 1.5 goals (1-1 or 2-1 or 2-2 doubt it will be 0-0))

There you go...and while I am not doing much at work here are some Scottish predictions

Aberdeen to beat Hibernian over 1.5 goals   (2-0 or 2-1 or more)
Motherwell to beat St Mirren over 1.5 goals   (2-0 or 2-1 or more)
Ross County to beat St Johnstone over 1.5 goals   (2-0 or 2-1 or more)
Livingston vs Celtic Away win for Celtic (sorry)  over 1.5 goals   (2-0 or 2-1 or more)
Rangers to beat Hamilton Academical over 2.5 goals   (3-0 or 3-1 or more)

I will be watching these with interest (although not putting any cash where my considerable mouth is)

21 hours ago, GlasVegas said:

To be fair, you did identify 7 (of 11 in total) sides who could be play-off contenders - hardly Derren Brown! :D

Correct there were a few caveats however I held my nerve on the top two of Leicester and Glasgow from the start and the only disappointment was my home town team of Newcastle who looked strong on paper but have been a total enigma on the track; and  to be fair with some good individuals in the side they just have not gelled as a team. However as often is said it ain't the team on the sheet of paper that does the business its the team on the track.

Finally I have seen Derren Brown and to be fair its all he does (run the options) however you don't connect with it because it isn't written down... (so you don't see the methodology; or the con) and as said don't write off Redcar yet as they look really strong with Lawson now in replacing Toft in that home leg!!! it will be interesting to see who comes out on top in the Leicester/Redcar clash and I ain't predicting anything on that one...

Good luck to all concerned

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word
  • Like 2