British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Pawel Waloszek

Sad to read of the recent death of Pawel Waloszek at the age of 80. He so nearly could have become World Champion when finishing second to Ivan Mauger in 1970. Ivan has often been quoted as saying that it was the hardest title he gained when the Poles were almost unbeatable riding their own tracks.

I saw Pawel ride at Cowley in 1973 when he obviouly was at the veteran stage of his career (although he rode on until 1985)

May he RIP.

• Like 2

I was there in 1970 with Ray Glover's party, and can confirm that that achievement by Ivan, in the face of everything the Poles threw into trying to get their man to win, just cannot be overstated or underestimated - it really was an amazing victory behind the Iron Curtain.

Special mention to Trevor Hedge as I recall it, taking a ride late in the meeting when clearly not fit so to do, in order that a Polish reserve did not take his place who might have had a say in the outcome.

Anyone else on here with similar memories of the day?

Sad to hear of the passing of Pawel.

• Like 2