British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

New Year's Resolution

Crack on, let's all take no notice of the dwindling crowds and clubs struggling to rub 2 pence together.

Come back to me when there's no Speedway at competitive level in the UK and read more on the forever closing clubs in the near future.

By all means, I'm pleased you still continue to enjoy your Speedway but people need to start removing those blinker pretty quick. 

Speedway is declining yearly, that is a fact, so if people are happy to continue with their head up their backsides don't come crying when you lose your Speedway. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nutshell: I think we should go out to watch live speedway whenever we can in 2019, and buy a programme while we are there.  There are some confusing rules, and promoters sometimes annoy us but it's a still a brilliant sport of 4 guys you can pretty much walk up to and chat with (picking the right moment of course), most weeks going after it at a track near(ish) to you, no gears, no brakes and getting well-sideways as they race one another....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I don't think Richard is saying that everything's perfect in any way whatsoever. I also think he's absolutely right to make the point that he has. 

It sometimes seems to me that the majority of members of this forum actually don't go to meetings  and have little - if any - interest in speedway at all other than to slag every aspect of it off. The rules, the racing, the riders, promotions - even its fans. 

If they have no interest, why are they members of a speedway forum ? 

I attend regularly and, all being well, will continue to do so in 2019 and for years to come. There are thousands like me. However, to suggest that all those who continue hand their money over every week have a ridiculously one sided view and believe that everything is fine is nonsense.  In my contacts right across the country, I don't know a single person like that yet it does not stop those who no longer go from wheeling it out every single time as a justification for their own negativity.

On occasion, I have used the pages of this forum to be extremely critical of the actions of the BSPA, individual promoters and riders. I believe that as a paying customer that is my right  and do so with an entirely objective view. Again, there are many like me. However, when I have cause to give credit, I again take to the forum and say that, too. For example, I have made no secret of my admiration for the efforts of the Isle of Wight promotion or the quality of the racing at the NSS.

There's no doubt that for all its self interest, crap tracks and lack of customer care, speedway can be bloody fantastic to watch and I would say that the only ones who have 'blinkers' are those who are overwhelmingly negative all the time (because, unlike me, they do see only one side). 

You are right, I am not saying everything in the garden is perfect.

However, last season I saw some cracking speedway racing that sent me home buzzing and wanting to talk about to anyone who would listen.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

However, last season I saw some cracking speedway racing that sent me home buzzing and wanting to talk about to anyone who would listen.

So did I. Then again those who don't go wouldn't have,  would they ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I don't think Richard is saying that everything's perfect in any way whatsoever. I also think he's absolutely right to make the point that he has. 

It sometimes seems to me that the majority of members of this forum actually don't go to meetings  and have little - if any - interest in speedway at all other than to slag every aspect of it off. The rules, the racing, the riders, promotions - even its fans. 

If they have no interest, why are they members of a speedway forum

I attend regularly and, all being well, will continue to do so in 2019 and for years to come. There are thousands like me. However, to suggest that all those who continue hand their money over every week have a ridiculously one sided view and believe that everything is fine is nonsense.  In my contacts right across the country, I don't know a single person like that yet it does not stop those who no longer go from wheeling it out every single time as a justification for their own negativity.

On occasion, I have used the pages of this forum to be extremely critical of the actions of the BSPA, individual promoters and riders. I believe that as a paying customer that is my right  and do so with an entirely objective view. Again, there are many like me. However, when I have cause to give credit, I again take to the forum and say that, too. For example, I have made no secret of my admiration for the efforts of the Isle of Wight promotion or the quality of the racing at the NSS.

There's no doubt that for all its self interest, crap tracks and lack of customer care, speedway can be bloody fantastic to watch and I would say that the only ones who have 'blinkers' are those who are overwhelmingly negative all the time (because, unlike me, they do see only one side). 

I haven't been to speedway for many years now (for reasons I have often cited on the forum and not wishing to go over old ground) but the BSF offers many variations on speedway related themes and I particularly enjoy the nostalgic threads for obvious reasons. I rarely look into the modern threads as I have no working knowledge of current speedway but if someone posts a thread which obviously attempts to raise issues then I will post a comment if I feel I have something to offer to the discussion.

The General Discussion thread (non speedway themes) is another reason I participate but at the end of the day if one doesn't wish to read a particular thread for whatever reason then one can just pass over it...as I often do when I can't be bothered reading thru' some of the long-winded comments and/or theories placed by some posters. You takes you choice and get out of it what you will but I will continue to participate for as long as I personally feel justified until it ceases to be a source of enjoyment.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I didn't think you did , what you did  was try to direct the members of a forum to their post opinion according to a set  of rules you prefer ,  never mind their own personal view as long as it doesn't conflict with yours , you expect  the members members conform to your wishes and become  automaton  happy clappers , no thanks Richard I'll enjoy the forum in the manner i have for the last decade , without moderation from you .

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I haven't been to speedway for many years now (for reasons I have often cited on the forum and not wishing to go over old ground) but the BSF offers many variations on speedway related themes and I particularly enjoy the nostalgic threads for obvious reasons. I rarely look into the modern threads as I have no working knowledge of current speedway but if someone posts a thread which obviously attempts to raise issues then I will post a comment if I feel I have something to offer to the discussion.

The General Discussion thread (non speedway themes) is another reason I participate but at the end of the day if one doesn't wish to read a particular thread for whatever reason then one can just pass over it...as I often do when I can't be bothered reading thru' some of the long-winded comments and/or theories placed by some posters. You takes you choice and get out of it what you will but I will continue to participate for as long as I personally feel justified until it ceases to be a source of enjoyment.

My issue isn't so much with those who don't go - that is entirely their choice. It is with those who don't go yet are constantly and repeatedly critical, without a single good word to say whatsoever. There is a major difference between the two and, as far as I can recall, you certainly don't belong to the latter. 

If you don't care about the sport and have absolutely no interest in it, what does it matter to you if it has points limits, play offs and tactical rides ? Such people who do comment can only be termed as internet trolls. As Bewitcher so accurately (if sarcastically) said in response recently I haven't seen EastEnders for 20 years but I am off to a forum to have a go at it'. 

Speedway fans mention most frequently about the quality of racing, presentation, unnecessary delay and facilities. How can you comment on that if you don't go ? How do you know whether it is good value or not ? 

Truth is, there is much in speedway to be critical about. But its not all like that.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

My issue isn't so much with those who don't go - that is entirely their choice. It is with those who don't go yet are constantly and repeatedly critical, without a single good word to say whatsoever. There is a major difference between the two and, as far as I can recall, you certainly don't belong to the latter. 

If you don't care about the sport and have absolutely no interest in it, what does it matter to you if it has points limits, play offs and tactical rides ? Such people who do comment can only be termed as internet trolls. As Bewitcher so accurately (if sarcastically) said in response recently I haven't seen EastEnders for 20 years but I am off to a forum to have a go at it'. 

Speedway fans mention most frequently about the quality of racing, presentation, unnecessary delay and facilities. How can you comment on that if you don't go ? How do you know whether it is good value or not ? 

Truth is, there is much in speedway to be critical about. But its not all like that.

I think a lot of speedway criticism is not so much criticism, but frustration. I think most if not all of us on the forum, wish speedway well and wish speedway to return to it's 'heady' days. And criticism can be healthy if it is constructive and provides ideas and guidance for a better future. But I think a lot of fans or ex fans feel no one is listening to their gripes, complaints, negativity or even ideas. If you are ignored or 'slapped down', you will probably be even more critical. As for being positive, sanguine and upbeat, when clearly there are issues, you run the risk of believing the Emperor is wearing new clothes, when clearly he isn't!  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I think a lot of speedway criticism is not so much criticism, but frustration. I think most if not all of us on the forum, wish speedway well and wish speedway to return to it's 'heady' days. And criticism can be healthy if it is constructive and provides ideas and guidance for a better future. But I think a lot of fans or ex fans feel no one is listening to their gripes, complaints, negativity or even ideas. If you are ignored or 'slapped down', you will probably be even more critical. As for being positive, sanguine and upbeat, when clearly there are issues, you run the risk of believing the Emperor is wearing new clothes, when clearly he isn't!  

Brilliant post, makes sense...if we didn't care we wouldn't even log in to this forum.

All the best in 2019 to ALL Speedway teams and hopefully their loads of fans.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, singy13 said:

Brilliant post, makes sense...if we didn't care we wouldn't even log in to this forum.

All the best in 2019 to ALL Speedway teams and hopefully their loads of fans.

Not always true. There is a core of 'fans' who claim to enjoy speedway, and never post anything positive about the sport. Once a negative thread is created you can guarantee the same old names, time and time again, repeating their usual comments ad infinitum. It's like "rent a crowd" with the usual culprits who often don't post on other threads just the critical ones. Everyone criticises bad promoters, but the sport is riddled with bad supporters, who do their best to down the sport as if it is an addiction to them. 6 men teams V 7 man teams, 13 heats or 15, Friday or Sunday, 7.00 or 7.30 start , higher points limits V low points limits, suits V bibs, PL V championship, fast track V no FT, RR V juniors, Intervals or not, Doubling up or not, protected heats, you name it they will have alternative views and wow betide anyone trying to explain or defend something that has been adopted or tweeked. At the end of the day we all have different slants on things, but the final analysis is that speedway is still 4 blokes racing around an oval track on bikes for 4 laps. That is the focus of a speedway meeting, and inevitable the rest is just froth. Decent racing on a decent track, with some good races and over in 2 hours and sometimes a decent junior meeting, what's there to complain about. :rolleyes: :P

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I think there are some who would be happy - or at least satisfied -  if they were proved correct and speedway collapsed altogether :angry::(

Criticism can  be healthy and this is the ideal place to do it where speedway is concerned. There is, indeed, much to criticise and I have done so many times in the (probably forlorn) hope that someone listens.

But for some that is all they do and that is often those who never attend a meeting.

Why on earth should anyone in speedway listen to the comments of someone who doesn't go, hasn't done for years and wouldn't go if it was free ? 

The argument that they use is that those of us who still attend week in week out are complacent, blind and fooling themselves about the state of health of the sport. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth.

6 hours ago, singy13 said:

Sadly, I don't think that's true.

To repeat, how can someone care about speedway if they don't go, haven't been for years and wouldn't go if it was free ?

52 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

, but the final analysis is that speedway is still 4 blokes racing around an oval track for 4 laps. That is the focus of a speedway meeting, and inevitable the rest is just froth. 

I think you told me that about 14 years ago when we first met at Hull. It remains the most profound statement about speedway I have ever heard and I have repeated it many, many times :approve:

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Please, the usual head-in- sand fans, don't read this post. You know who you are.

Of course, it's alright to think positive about speedway. The racing is probably better than it's sever been, certainly the heats I've watches over the last few years, especially at the new Belle Vue. But four riders racing four laps isn't always the be all and end all of speedway following. Of course, I'm going over old ground, and primarily the reason I no longer attend or can be bothered when it's on television, it's the rules, not the riders or racing, that are the problem. They are to me anyway. The rules and much of the speedway foundations.

Speedway is fake nowadays. 

Take football, the other day's Man City v Crystal Palace match. Palace took a shock win against a cracking City side that was expected to steamroller them. This wasn't speedway, and therefore I didn't sit there, as I watched City go 3-1 down at home, thinking they were only losing, throwing the match, so they could strengthen and bring in new players in the January window.  'They didn't purposely throw away three points because, after all, like speedway, they can't make it up during the rest of the season as they only need to reach the top four. Football is set up so that every match is important. There is no carrot dangling as we have in speedway, like being able to strengthen in the next set of averages because clubs purposely encourage their team to lose points. If this was football, the realistic world of relegation would be more of a worry than, as we have in speedway, making the team switches to make a top-four Play-Off in an (ah-hum) seven-team league.

There is so much foreplay allowed in speedway, as last season proved when a mid-to-bottom of the table side looked doomed, fans were leaving and called for the promoter's head, the same fellow who had brought them so much success. But those same Poole fans stayed positive (yeah, right), the team (like a Christmas Miracle) signed a few riders just before mid-season point (It was like Magic) and then did enough to scramble last qualifying spot for the Play-Offs. The rest is history. The table means nothing when you can manipulate a lot of the qualifying matches. It is farcical. We have X-Factor Speedway now. The cream always comes to the top, because the rules allow it to.

To say people should just put up with the things that initially put them off from going is silly. Only fans who hadn't been put off would say such a thing.

The sport is a mess. To blame people for criticising this mess and pleading with them to stop posting, as potential new sponsors may be put off, it's just a get out clause. Remember, this is a sport that had almost 20 years of live matches on SKY Sports but couldn't attract a sponsor to front the show. I think BT Sport is the same. No interest.

The argument against the pessimists would be stronger if fans coming through the turnstiles replaced in similar number some of those who were not. Ridiculing those who no longer find current speedway appealing, no longer attend and therefore shouldn't have an opinion, is silly. The sport finds itself on its backside and yet people, the blinkered fans, think there's a chance of winning new fans when old ones think it's no longer a proper sport. But saying the old fans are no longer worth an ear is the best way to close an argument and squeeze the sport's windpipe even further.

Ex-Belle Vue boss John Perrin told fans on many occasions to "stay away if you don't like it." Some took him to his word. And for many of those years that followed he threatened to close Belle Vue due to poor support.  

This isn't about the riders or the racing, but what has been allowed to happen with team makeup and a silly pretence that Play-Offs have been speedway's saviour.

Sorry, but I have to repeat myself. The way speedway has gone has frustrated me.  Feeling positive doesn't always work.

Happy New Year, anyway.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 5