British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

New Year's Resolution

7 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

It  would probably do the forum good to be slimmed down in size and to mirror the current state of speedway to be populated by a hardy but small band of enthusiasts exuding positivity about the sport. Even the pro speedway, Speedway Star felt duty bound to produce a 45 page special edition  of how the sport was in crisis , not much positivity in that particular issue. While on a positive note what exactly came out of this years AGM that is going to turn the sport around ? nothing as far as I can see. Its probable to expect a very similar season to last year with probably not as good weather, 

Everyone's biggest fear at the moment is Ipswich already are predicted by some to not see out the Premiership season with their predicted team.

As with every club, when things don't go well fans do not turn up.

Watching my first elite hockey league game on free sports Sheffield v Nottingham....... Maybe the bspa should make a resolution to take a close look at how to run a  fast paced adrenaline filled family sport. I'm sure not all those present came by the tag of bring a friend...... And now there playing the national anthem oh happy days! 

On 12/27/2018 at 4:18 PM, iwright71 said:

It  would probably do the forum good to be slimmed down in size and to mirror the current state of speedway to be populated by a hardy but small band of enthusiasts exuding positivity about the sport. Even the pro speedway, Speedway Star felt duty bound to produce a 45 page special edition  of how the sport was in crisis , not much positivity in that particular issue. While on a positive note what exactly came out of this years AGM that is going to turn the sport around ? nothing as far as I can see. Its probable to expect a very similar season to last year with probably not as good weather, 

Looking at the number of posts on here from, say, even 10 years back, I think people have taken it on themselves to slim the forum down by not bothering to post, not bothering to go (to matches), and not bothering if speedway still exists. And, if the World's Leading Speedway Magazine owns up that speedway is at a crisis, they rely on sales remember, and gives it a whole edition in the hope that promoters will be alerted, then I think ever decreasing small band of diehards that still exist on here should take note, more so the ones swimming against the tide. You can't run from the truth. Speedway is being chased by the grim reaper.

Funny thing is, a lot of the diehards often spout on about not buying the Star anymore, they boast to finding out the news online. But then they criticise people who don't buy into the speedway product anymore and don't attend the track. It's called choice. Not buying the Star could be as lethal to the sport's longest-running magazine as not going to your track. I don't go to the track but still get the Speedway Star. Once I stop, my days of even being partly interested in the sport would have gone.

Of course, trim down the posters in the BSF to positive ones. But next time you arrive at your local track and there's nothing else but a tumbleweed blowing across the terracing, remember... I told you so. 

At least by me still coming on here, I'm not another lost fan.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Everyone's biggest fear at the moment is Ipswich already are predicted by some to not see out the Premiership season with their predicted team.

As with every club, when things don't go well fans do not turn up.

Lynn did very well in 2018. But you still get some that don't turn up :)

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, iwright71 said:

It would be better than a hardy but large band of ex supporters who only come on to slag it off.  It still remains beyond me why, if you have absolutely no interest in speedway and/or couldn't care less about it, you would continue to be a member of a speedway forum. 

What the BSF needs are balanced, objective views that can give both criticism and credit where appropriate. Those views must be informed - which is why those of persons actually attending are of considerably more value. After all, how can you comment on the value for money provided by a meeting if you don't actually go ?  

It is nonsense to suggest that those who do continue to turn up week after week are overwhelmingly positive. As I have said before, I know of no current fan who is like that. They are all deeply concerned about speedway's future prospects and the survival of individual clubs and are often  both angry and frustrated at decisions made by the BSPA - as an example, read the comments regarding the decisions to force Lakeside, Peterborough & Workington to change race nights. 

The only blinkered ones are those who used to go but don't now. They have a totally one sided view. 

I am not certain which edition of Speedway Star you are referring to but, in December's issue, Peter Oakes has his 'winners and losers' column. In it, he lavishes praise on two of my favourite teams - Belle Vue and Isle of Wight. He describes the NSS as a 'brilliant, brilliant stage' (he's right) and refers to the Warriors promotion creating a 'community asset' and 'rarely have a couple of promoters turned a club around the way they have on the Isle of Wight (again, he's right).  He (and the Star) are most certainly critical elsewhere, but clearly there are, at least to him, positives. 

The positive note for 2019 is that there are 27 clubs this season, down by only 1 (and that is due to Lakeside losing their stadium). The Elite League remains in existence. We have a television deal (I have actually heard that Sky want speedway back). Treading water, maybe, but if you read some of the comments on here it is quite incredible that there is anything left at all. 

3 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

It would be better than a hardy but large band of ex supporters who only come on to slag it off.  It still remains beyond me why, if you have absolutely no interest in speedway and/or couldn't care less about it, you would continue to be a member of a speedway forum. 

What the BSF needs are balanced, objective views that can give both criticism and credit where appropriate. Those views must be informed - which is why those of persons actually attending are of considerably more value. After all, how can you comment on the value for money provided by a meeting if you don't actually go ?  

It is nonsense to suggest that those who do continue to turn up week after week are overwhelmingly positive. As I have said before, I know of no current fan who is like that. They are all deeply concerned about speedway's future prospects and the survival of individual clubs and are often  both angry and frustrated at decisions made by the BSPA - as an example, read the comments regarding the decisions to force Lakeside, Peterborough & Workington to change race nights. 

The only blinkered ones are those who used to go but don't now. They have a totally one sided view. 

I am not certain which edition of Speedway Star you are referring to but, in December's issue, Peter Oakes has his 'winners and losers' column. In it, he lavishes praise on two of my favourite teams - Belle Vue and Isle of Wight. He describes the NSS as a 'brilliant, brilliant stage' (he's right) and refers to the Warriors promotion creating a 'community asset' and 'rarely have a couple of promoters turned a club around the way they have on the Isle of Wight (again, he's right).  He (and the Star) are most certainly critical elsewhere, but clearly there are, at least to him, positives. 

The positive note for 2019 is that there are 27 clubs this season, down by only 1 (and that is due to Lakeside losing their stadium). The Elite League remains in existence. We have a television deal (I have actually heard that Sky want speedway back). Treading water, maybe, but if you read some of the comments on here it is quite incredible that there is anything left at all. 

Surely down by 2, Rye House and Lakeside. Although I think Rye is still being used for amateur non-BSPA speedway.

21 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Surely down by 2, Rye House and Lakeside. Although I think Rye is still being used for amateur non-BSPA speedway.

I was looking at the end of the season, not the beginning. Whatever the case, my point remains : reading some of the comments on here, you would think it quite incredible that there would be 7, never mind 27. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

You are correct about the number of teams, but for a balanced view having 7 teams in the top flight is embarrassing ,with 3 being owned by the same man and the top 4 reaching the play offs.. The top flight needs 10 clubs minimum   I'm sure Sky had a clause that it must be at least 8, can't see Sky wanting the Premier League on that basis, they may still want SGP, SON though . Yes British speedway does have a TV deal but it is worth nothing to the clubs, its on a par with women's football. As I said I can't think of one decision at the AGM that will pull this back. As for Belle Vue, they have arguably the best circuit in the world but It won't be full next year and I guarantee there will still be moans about having to ride on Monday nights . Personally don't think fixed race nights work in Britain but the promoters disagree .

19 hours ago, iwright71 said:

You are correct about the number of teams, but for a balanced view having 7 teams in the top flight is embarrassing ,with 3 being owned by the same man and the top 4 reaching the play offs.. The top flight needs 10 clubs minimum   I'm sure Sky had a clause that it must be at least 8, can't see Sky wanting the Premier League on that basis, they may still want SGP, SON though . Yes British speedway does have a TV deal but it is worth nothing to the clubs, its on a par with women's football. As I said I can't think of one decision at the AGM that will pull this back. As for Belle Vue, they have arguably the best circuit in the world but It won't be full next year and I guarantee there will still be moans about having to ride on Monday nights . Personally don't think fixed race nights work in Britain but the promoters disagree .

Bear in mind that in the 1989 & 1990 seasons there were 9 teams in the top flight, and 26 teams overall. In 2019, that's 2 less in the top flight and 1 more overall. Without the loss of stadiums, its entirely possible that both Coventry and Lakeside would still be operating. 

People were certainly predicting the demise of speedway then; 30 years later, its still here. 

Multi track bosses aren't unusual, either. The likes of Reg Fearman and Mike Parker spring to mind.

My understanding is that the TV contract in 2019 does pay the clubs (although I stand to be corrected on that) and even if it doesn't, its still worth a huge amount. The BSPA certainly thought so as they picked up the production costs tab for the first year of the BT broadcasts. Sky were apparently very happy with their speedway coverage and viewing figures and I am not certain that 7 clubs rather than 8 would make much difference (although I too heard 8 was a minimum). I have been told on good authority that they want speedway back (they probably saw that heat 13 from Belle Vue :D). 

According to Adrian Smith at the Belle Vue fans forum a couple of weeks ago, in school holiday periods they get bigger attendances on a Monday than they do on Fridays :o 

Its not my intention to be hopelessly optimistic here. I have heard some frightening loss figures for last season, and I am genuinely surprised that a couple of tracks are still operating. Presentation, the quality of racing and customer care are areas in which speedway often falls down and self interest is still disastrously prevalent. If, however, you read certain posters, they haven't a single good word to say and that's simply not the case at all. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, iwright71 said:

...Martin Rogers (one time Promoter amongst other attributes) was quoted in a recent article in 'Backtrack' that he feels that tracks should run on a day that suits their particular needs and circumstances. I recall many years ago, however, when Oxford moved to Fridays from their traditional Thursdays it was met with approval because it enabled potential night shift workers at Cowley to attend as well as the usual 'kids don't have to get up for school in the morning'...although that never affected me as a school kid when Oxford ran on Thursdays (never mind weekly trips to 'the smoke' on Wednesdays following 'The Rebels' at Wood Lane whilst studying for my 'O' levels) and I've always felt that a poor excuse and/or reason for a choice of race night. Then there were grumbles when years later they reverted back to their traditional Thursday!

Edited by steve roberts

3 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Bear in mind that in the 1989 & 1990 seasons there were 9 teams in the top flight, and 26 teams overall. In 2019, that's 2 less in the top flight and 1 more overall. Without the loss of stadiums, its entirely possible that both Coventry and Lakeside would still be operating. 

People were certainly predicting the demise of speedway then; 30 years later, its still here. 

Multi track bosses aren't unusual, either. The likes of Reg Fearman and Mike Parker spring to mind.

My understanding is that the TV contract in 2019 does pay the clubs (although I stand to be corrected on that) and even if it doesn't, its still worth a huge amount. The BSPA certainly thought so as they picked up the production costs tab for the first year of the BT broadcasts. Sky were apparently very happy with their speedway coverage and viewing figures and I am not certain that 7 clubs rather than 8 would make much difference (although I too heard 8 was a minimum). I have been told on good authority that they want speedway back (they probably saw that heat 13 from Belle Vue :D). 

According to Adrian Smith at the Belle Vue fans forum a couple of weeks ago, in school holiday periods they get bigger attendances on a Monday than they do on Fridays :o 

Its not my intention to be hopelessly optimistic here. I have heard some frightening loss figures for last season, and I am genuinely surprised that a couple of tracks are still operating. Presentation, the quality of racing and customer care are areas in which speedway often falls down and self interest is still disastrously prevalent. If, however, you read certain posters, they haven't a single good word to say and that's simply not the case at all. 

there must have been some truth in sky wanting 8  teams , In the winter of discontent , the BSPA  were more than happy to continue discussions with Coventry and Peterborough , while doubt remained over Belle Vue and Leicester , as soon as they were Confirmed starters  along with Kings Lynn who took 50 pieces of silver to step up .Bspa were quite happy to grab their TV money and leave  Coventry and PBoro to close

2 hours ago, adonis said:

there must have been some truth in sky wanting 8  teams , In the winter of discontent , the BSPA  were more than happy to continue discussions with Coventry and Peterborough , while doubt remained over Belle Vue and Leicester , as soon as they were Confirmed starters  along with Kings Lynn who took 50 pieces of silver to step up .Bspa were quite happy to grab their TV money and leave  Coventry and PBoro to close

8 Teams was the contractual minimum, below that would have allowed Sky to walk away from the agreement had they wanted to. The viewing figures were more than acceptable, had the number of clubs dropped below 8 and the audience figures been affected then yes maybe they would have cancelled the contract.

33 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

8 Teams was the contractual minimum, below that would have allowed Sky to walk away from the agreement had they wanted to. The viewing figures were more than acceptable, had the number of clubs dropped below 8 and the audience figures been affected then yes maybe they would have cancelled the contract.

Sky did cancel their contract with British speedway,  Halfway through their last deal

1 hour ago, iwright71 said:

Sky did cancel their contract with British speedway,  Halfway through their last deal

Yes, but was explained as being they had spent too much money on the Football Premier League TV rights, and had to cut out several small sports such as Speedway. It was not because they had a problem with Speedway or it's viewing figures.