British Speedway Forum
Garry1603

Time for a change?

I love the magazine and it's a real delight to receive it very couple of months, but is it time to move the timeline from 70s/80s to 80s/90s? 

It would open up a lot more riders to be included (and let's be honest, just about every decent rider has been discussed / interviewed now). Might even tempt some 90s fans to buy it as well.

Not meant as a criticism at all, just an opinion.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Garry1603 said:

I love the magazine and it's a real delight to receive it very couple of months, but is it time to move the timeline from 70s/80s to 80s/90s? 

It would open up a lot more riders to be included (and let's be honest, just about every decent rider has been discussed / interviewed now). Might even tempt some 90s fans to buy it as well.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Garry and for making a very valid point - we don't take it as criticism at all.

To be honest, this is a timeline shift we have been considering ourselves for a year or two, although we would never abandon the 70s, which was the sport's last truly golden era. There are still plenty of ex-riders and promoters we have yet to interview/feature from that halcyon period too. Tommy Knudsen, Bo Petersen and Per Jonsson spring to mind from the top star bracket.

But, like you, I see a lot of merit in extending the timeframe from 1970 to 1999. Whether our hardcore readership - especially our older readers - would agree, is another matter!

One of the reasons why we have so far hesitated to do as you suggest is that I would be stepping out of my comfort zone. I'll admit I'm not very knowledgeable on the 90s (I finally left Speedway Mail in 1992), although several of our main contributors - the likes of Rob Peasley and Martin Neal - certainly are.

Perhaps Backtrack needs a new, younger editor!

Edited by tmc
  • Like 1

I must admit that I fell out of love with the sport for most of the 90s so I'd welcome the chance to learn more about that era. 

• Like 1

As a 40 something watching speedway in the 80's and 90's was my favourite era. Would look forward to that content in Backtrack magazine

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

As a 40 something watching speedway in the 80's and 90's was my favourite era. Would look forward to that content in Backtrack magazine

Interesting. Are you a regular Backtrack reader/subscriber now?

39 minutes ago, tmc said:

Interesting. Are you a regular Backtrack reader/subscriber now?

Yes I'm a regular reader of Backtrack

• Like 1

A terrific read i personally don't care what era they cover but the 80/90s idea is a great one.The read is that good that when you pick it up you don't want to put it down a compliment in itself.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tmc said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Garry and for making a very valid point - we don't take it as criticism at all.

To be honest, this is a timeline shift we have been considering ourselves for a year or two, although we would never abandon the 70s, which was the sport's last truly golden era. There are still plenty of ex-riders and promoters we have yet to interview/feature from that halcyon period too. Tommy Knudsen, Bo Petersen and Per Jonsson spring to mind from the top star bracket.

But, like you, I see a lot of merit in extending the timeframe from 1970 to 1999. Whether our hardcore readership - especially our older readers - would agree, is another matter!

One of the reasons why we have so far hesitated to do as you suggest is that I would be stepping out of my comfort zone. I'll admit I'm not very knowledgeable on the 90s (I finally left Speedway Mail in 1992), although several of our main contributors - the likes of Rob Peasley and Martin Neal - certainly are.

Perhaps Backtrack needs a new, younger editor!

Three rider from that period I would like to see interviews with are Malcom Ballard, Conny Samuelsson and Hasse Holmqvist.

• Like 1

One year from now, the beginning of the 90's will be 30 years past.

I think Backtrack started in 2004, only 14 years after the end of the 80's, so I guess there is a case for expanding the coverage into the 90's.

Personally, I would have little interest in the 90's because the decline was well and truly beginning and things would never be the same again.

• Like 1

Personally, I think there's enough of the 70's and 80's yet to cover that there is no need to stretch the timeline. Whilst most of the big name riders have been covered, often its the (relatively) lesser lights who have the more interesting stories to tell. For example, the recent Tony Lomas interview was fascinating, particularly his memories of Charles Ochiltree.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2018 at 11:52 AM, Garry1603 said:

As a buyer from day one and a 'subber' for many years, to be honest I was thinking the same but hesitated to to comment as the mag does excellently what it says on the tin and deliberately doesn't cover the modern era, which it isn't about.  But, yeah extending the timeline upto 1999 is a good idea I think.  Just keep on doing what you're doing, Tony....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling
  • Like 1

I read every issue and thoroughly enjoy them. The quality of the articles is superb, evoking many happy memories of the 70s and 80s. I see no reason why including the 90s would be a bad thing. Just think, Tony,  of all the extra material available to you overnight! World Finals of the 90s, the dawn of the GP era, world cups, 10 years of league and cup exploits, not to mention numerous individuals of interest that currently miss the cut off date.

Go for it, I think your readers will be overwhelmingly supportive of the idea.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:13 PM, keepturningleft said:

One year from now, the beginning of the 90's will be 30 years past.

I think Backtrack started in 2004, only 14 years after the end of the 80's, so I guess there is a case for expanding the coverage into the 90's.

Personally, I would have little interest in the 90's because the decline was well and truly beginning and things would never be the same again.

But - and this is the crux of it from our viewpoint - would extending coverage into the 90s STOP you from buying Backtrack?

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:01 AM, salty said:

Personally, I think there's enough of the 70's and 80's yet to cover that there is no need to stretch the timeline. Whilst most of the big name riders have been covered, often its the (relatively) lesser lights who have the more interesting stories to tell. For example, the recent Tony Lomas interview was fascinating, particularly his memories of Charles Ochiltree.

Agreed, and thank you. Also, there is no harm in re-visiting a number of the original interview subject but from a different angle.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:20 AM, martinmauger said:

As a buyer from day one and a 'subber' for many years, to be honest I was thinking the same but hesitated to to comment as the mag does excellently what it says on the tin and deliberately doesn't cover the modern era, which it isn't about.  But, yeah extending the timeline upto 1999 is a good idea I think.  Just keep on doing what you're doing, Tony....

Thank you, Martin.