British Speedway Forum
Garry1603

Time for a change?

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:12 PM, Bryce said:

I read every issue and thoroughly enjoy them. The quality of the articles is superb, evoking many happy memories of the 70s and 80s. I see no reason why including the 90s would be a bad thing. Just think, Tony,  of all the extra material available to you overnight! World Finals of the 90s, the dawn of the GP era, world cups, 10 years of league and cup exploits, not to mention numerous individuals of interest that currently miss the cut off date.

Go for it, I think your readers will be overwhelmingly supportive of the idea.

Thank you. The big difference for me personally is, in the case of most riders of the 90s, I don't know their story, or what happened to them, which means exhaustive research in the case of in-depth interviews.

As I said earlier, perhaps we need a younger editor who lived through the 90s and knows the era inside-out.

Goes without saying, we always welcome new, practical and realistic ideas regards editorial content.

33 minutes ago, tmc said:
On 1/2/2019 at 10:13 PM, keepturningleft said:

One year from now, the beginning of the 90's will be 30 years past.

I think Backtrack started in 2004, only 14 years after the end of the 80's, so I guess there is a case for expanding the coverage into the 90's.

Personally, I would have little interest in the 90's because the decline was well and truly beginning and things would never be the same again.

But - and this is the crux of it from our viewpoint - would extending coverage into the 90s STOP you from buying Backtrack?

Whilst ever my finances are buoyant I will continue to buy Backtrack.

A survey of your readers will presumably provide all the answers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmc said:

But - and this is the crux of it from our viewpoint - would extending coverage into the 90s STOP you from buying Backtrack?

From a personal point of view, I don't think expanding the coverage would stop anyone from buying the magazine as long as it stays true to it's 'Golden Era' of the 70s. There will always be new angles to take with riders previously interviewed.

As far as the 90s goes It would certainly be interesting to hear about the riders / promoters views regarding the dawning of the GP era and emerging riders of the time (Crump, Rickardson, Loram, Adams etc)

• Like 1

As a buyer and subscriber also from day one, I think it logical to extend the timeframe. As a lapsed speedway fan who stopped attending in 1978, to fill in the gaps in the 80's and hopefully now the 90's would be a real boon. Just don't forget the 70's along the way, other than that go for it................

• Like 1