British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

NL Cup draw 2019

It was a good idea to do the draw as they did.

Guess this was a Jason Pipe idea, so credit for that. There are ways it could be improved for another year but a good idea.

Wouldn't it have been great if the the end of the draw had been followed by an announcement along these lines: The team drawn first will stage the home leg in week beginning XXXXX and the second leg will be held the following week. It sound so simple but it is something that speedway cannot get its head around.

Well done Mr Pipe that was a welcome bit of interest for the boring close season.

There are lots of ways the draw can be improved for next year but I'm sure Jason no's that. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that the idea of a live draw was put forward at the NL AGM by Barry Bishop following the success of similar live draws for his club events. Unfortunately the actual draw came across as rather hap-hazard, however a step forward with plenty of learnings for next time.

• Like 3

Yeah it was a bit amateurish and a bit cheap, BUT it was a genuine draw and we had full disclosure.

A big step in the right direction.

If the BSPA are going to do similar things more often, hopefully they find fit to start unblocking the many people they have blocked over the years many if not most simply for asking a question. Myself, I got blocked after they denied saying there was ever a live feed planned for the u19s. I screenshotted their tweet from 2 weeks earlier as a reply and got myself blocked lol.

• Like 3

The draw was one of the most embarrassing and amateurish things i have ever seen when i first watched it i thought it was some sort of joke.

Speedway GB also think it was as they have removed it off there website and social media feeds apologising for such a pathetic amateurish production.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

The draw was one of the most embarrassing and amateurish things i have ever seen when i first watched it i thought it was some sort of joke.

Speedway GB also think it was as they have removed it off there website and social media feeds apologising for such a pathetic amateurish production.  

The strong negative reaction probably has something to do with that.  

Once watched the BDO do a darts comp draw streamed live on the net and three quarters of the way in one number came out again...:D

And it wasn't even a six/nine confusion...!

They had to scrap it and do the draw again..

I do often see many similarities between those who run Speedway and those who run this side of the darts world...:D

8 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Didn't see it so cannot comment on the quality etc but sometimes people are darned if they do and darned if they don't. It appears that the whole concept has been well received but execution lets it down a bit and whilst it isn't particularly difficult for those with a bit of know how to produce something professional looking i personally im just glad to hear that a large budget wasn't allocated/wasted to something as simple as a KOC draw.

• Thanks 1

I think people have to bear in mind thst the principle was spot on and that even though sat in Jason’s kitchen looked unprofessional, the idea was there. Other years we’ve seen a NLKOC ‘draw’ where all teams local to each other have raced each other whereas now we know it’s totally transparent. Just the presentation needs sprucing up. But even the big sports get it wrong! Look at the football Carabao/League Cup draw where teams were drawn the wrong way round and teams drawn twice!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

I think people have to bear in mind thst the principle was spot on and that even though sat in Jason’s kitchen looked unprofessional, the idea was there. Other years we’ve seen a NLKOC ‘draw’ where all teams local to each other have raced each other whereas now we know it’s totally transparent. Just the presentation needs sprucing up. But even the big sports get it wrong! Look at the football Carabao/League Cup draw where teams were drawn the wrong way round and teams drawn twice!

Good point.

Also good that Jason Pipe has established an excellent principle.

In the FA Cup, the draws are a key moment, especially in the early rounds for non-league clubs. No reason why speedway KO Cup draws cannot become an 'event".

Perhaps next time, Jason could ask one of the speedway video companies to set it up for them and help "dress the set" . . .and he can surely tap in to the expertise of Nigel Pearson and David Rowe

Also strikes me the BSPA could do all the first round draws for all 3 divisions in one 'broadcast'.

• Like 1

The idea of the showing the draw was a good one, however the unprofessional approach has ruined it. It is slightly concerning that Jason Pipe believed that it was acceptable for the product they are trying to produce. It may be a step in the right direction but it was a seriously poor attempt at something which should be not difficult to produce. 

• Like 1

A good idea in principle. But it doesn't matter what they did, speedway fans would complain about it. Don't spend anything, it is amateurish and unprofessional, spend money and they are wasting the budget, money should have been spent elsewhere.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:36 AM, Dickie Head said:

My understanding is that the idea of a live draw was put forward at the NL AGM by Barry Bishop following the success of similar live draws for his club events. Unfortunately the actual draw came across as rather hap-hazard, however a step forward with plenty of learnings for next time.

Yes absolutely correct... I put this forward and other suggestions to up the NL image and get us closer to our sponsors.

On the Island we held really good live draws for our meetings, be that in the crowd, with a sponsor or even on the spikes of an ice bike. However, I always seek the advice of Andy Hague who knows his stuff for this type of thing... even if I have a wacky idea, he knows how to make that idea get presented in the best way. While at the time, we may think what we are doing is the best thing ever (and to us it is of courese), using the opinion of someone like Andy enables me to cover off the viewers, our sponsors and our leagues perspective - as in this is what Andy thinks about in everything he does for the club. He wants the Wightlink Warriors always to be seen at its very best within our budget... which is of course in line with Martin and my thinking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1