British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Wembley Memories

In its hey day Wembley was the pinnacle team of British speedway.

At individual level the club had three world champions in Lionel Van Praag, Tommy Price and Fred Williams.

As a team there was a period when they dominated the National League, National Trophy and London Cup competitions.

Here is an interesting Link in regard to the club:

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/wembley index.html

May I point out a mistake on this website?Wembley Lions until 1985!!!The world final comes home in 1985!!!The world final of 1985 was at Bradford I am fairly sure.

31 minutes ago, gustix said:

In its hey day Wembley was the pinnacle team of British speedway.

At individual level the club had three world champions in Lionel Van Praag, Tommy Price and Fred Williams.

As a team there was a period when they dominated the National League, National Trophy and London Cup competitions.

Here is an interesting Link in regard to the club:

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/wembley index.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Individual_Speedway_World_Championship

I was right,it seems

Edited by iris123

Wembley world final year error. There is a function on the SMO website where one can contact its Moderator. The website indicates that the author of the item is Robert Rogers.

Edited by Guest

Anyway,here a little tribute to the Wembley impresario,Sir Arthur Elvin

It was great to be there and see the Tiger get on the rostrum...

• Like 1

Yes,I was there as well,hoping Tommy Jansson or if not PC would win

6 hours ago, iris123 said:

May I point out a mistake on this website?Wembley Lions until 1985!!!The world final comes home in 1985!!!The world final of 1985 was at Bradford I am fairly sure.

And Bruce Penhall didn't win the 1985 world final,    Erik Gunderson did.

And Penhall's Wembley World final win wasn't 48 years after Jack Milne won.   It was 44 years.  Milne won in 1937 not 1933. 

As I remember it, the 1970 Wembley promoter was Trevor Redmond, not Trevor Readman.     

And I'm guessing "Brain" Leonard may have been the more intelligent brother of a chap called Brian.

Very poor and outdated website riddled with errors.

Edited by WalterPlinge
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, iris123 said:

12 hours ago, gustix said:

Wembley world final year error. There is a function on the SMO website where one can contact its Moderator. The website indicates that the author of the item is Robert Rogers.

5 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

And Bruce Penhall didn't win the 1985 world final,    Erik Gunderson did.

And Penhall's Wembley World final win wasn't 48 years after Jack Milne won.   It was 44 years.  Milne won in 1937 not 1933. 

As I remember it, the 1970 Wembley promoter was Trevor Redmond, not Trevor Readman.     

And I'm guessing "Brain" Leonard may have been the more intelligent brother of a chap called Brian.

Very poor and outdated website riddled with errors.

Please contact the Speedway Museum Online in regard to the errors on their site. Go to:

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/welcome.html

Edited by Guest
Updated

12 hours ago, iris123 said:

I think you will find that Wembley was the preferred venue for the 1985 World Final. Once it was confirmed they couldnt hold it, plans went ahead to develop Odsal.

As we all now know, its unlikely to ever return to Wembley.

1 hour ago, BobC said:

I think you will find that Wembley was the preferred venue for the 1985 World Final. Once it was confirmed they couldnt hold it, plans went ahead to develop Odsal.

As we all now know, its unlikely to ever return to Wembley.

But that really has nothing to do with a historical article that has got things totally wrong.Shame that the site has numerous mistakes throughout

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

But that really has nothing to do with a historical article that has got things totally wrong.Shame that the site has numerous mistakes throughout

2 hours ago, gustix said:

Please contact the Speedway Museum Online in regard to the errors on their site. Go to:

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/welcome.html

Any errors on the Speedway Museum Online website will never be resolved by complaints on here. The Moderator of it asks for any errors to be drawn to the website's attention. For some reason however that remedy is discounted by Posters on this thread.

Edited by Guest

I just wanted to be helpful and point out a mistake that stuck out like a sore thumb as soon as I went on your link!You do seem to be a bit obsessed with a number of things,but not this museum site.You even have made a number of contributions,i see,so already I woud guess have made contact with the person or persons who run the site.I just thought seeing that connection had been made it would be easy for you,probably in your interest,to help a site you are connected with to correct the error(s).I am only a member of this site and only really have any interest in things posted on this site.At least I have pointed out,to any people who go to your link,that the site has many errors and people should be careful of what they read.For me,my job is done

Edited by iris123