British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Wembley Memories

6 hours ago, gustix said:

Any errors on the Speedway Museum Online website will never be resolved by complaints on here. The Moderator of it asks for any errors to be drawn to the website's attention. For some reason however that remedy is discounted by Posters on this thread.

John, they're simply pointing the errors out, they aren't asking you to fix them.  If the mod can't be bothered to keep an eye or even vet what's uploaded to their own website, maybe that's an issue for their moderator.   

You give the moderators here a lot of grief as if they are the worst around, it sounds like the one on that website ain't doing such a good job either.

I personally wouldn't want to be posting links to a site riddled with factual errors as i would feel a tad silly poitning knowledgeable speedway fans to a site with such basic errors.

The Speedway Museum Online moderator has advised me that  she has made recommended corrections in regard to the Wembley item which has created much debate on here. If further essential corrections are needed to the item, written by Robert Rogers, please advise on here or contact SMO direct.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/wembley lions 1956 - 1983.html

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, gustix said:

The Speedway Museum Online moderator has advised me that  she has made recommended corrections in regard to the Wembley item which has created much debate on here. If further essential corrections are needed to the item, written by Robert Rogers, please advise on here or correct SMO direct.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/wembley lions 1956 - 1983.html

Much debate ?  A couple of people pointed stuff and you've got umbrage from it.  Maybe if you've got the ear of the mod she might wanna fact-check articles before uploading rather than waiting for people to find fault.  

The credibility of that site may come under scrutiny if old Bobby Rogers continues with that standard of work.

5 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Much debate ?  A couple of people pointed stuff and you've got umbrage from it.  Maybe if you've got the ear of the mod she might wanna fact-check articles before uploading rather than waiting for people to find fault.  

The credibility of that site may come under scrutiny if old Bobby Rogers continues with that standard of work.

This site SHOULD be one of the most fascinating, and most valuable speedway websites out there, but the overall quality is extremely poor. I usually do the "right thing" and contact the webmasters to rectify errors, but - and I really hate to say it, - there are so many items in need of correction (from poor spelling and grammar to factual mistakes) that I fear I would appear a bombastic nitpicker with my honest input (that I would basically rewrite and reformat everything).

As I said, I hate to feel this way, as I know only too well the time and effort that goes into such projects.

Steve

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gustix said:

The Speedway Museum Online moderator has advised me that  she has made recommended corrections in regard to the Wembley item

Well, Trevor "Readman" seems to have been changed to Trevor "Redman".....    Still doesn't seem to have any connection to the Wembley promoter Trevor Redmond though.

I noticed it lists the late Ivan Mauger as passing away on 16th April 2019 and been survived by wife Raye & daughters: Julie, Kym & Debbie.  Tried contacing the webmaster but was unable to.  Great site, but just sayin'....

6 hours ago, martinmauger said:

I noticed it lists the late Ivan Mauger as passing away on 16th April 2019 and been survived by wife Raye & daughters: Julie, Kym & Debbie.  Tried contacing the webmaster but was unable to.  Great site, but just sayin'....

I don't know why I am dedicating so much effort to the happenings in regard to Speedway Museum Online and how to contact its webmaster. However, this Link does show how to contact its webmaster (hopefully it is working!)

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/welcome.html

If you click on 'Contact the webmaster' an email should appear. Just write your message, then send it.

Edited by Guest

After my fathers death in 1968 aged 55 we found a photograph of a speedway ride astride a machine in full leathers etc. Subsequent enquiries revealed that it was a p[icture of my father wearing the leathers and astride the bike of Wally .Kilmister. Further enquiries revealed that my father had at a young age been taken under the wing of a Tot and Bill Williams who lived at Scarle Road  Wembley their son having been to mechanic of Wally Kilmister. I believe the Williams's were much involved with both Wembley Speedway and Ice Hockey and provided lodgings for many Speedway Riders and Hockey players of the time.  . A long time ago now but wondered if anybody may recall them

12 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Good news.   Julie, Kym and Debbie are now described as Ivan's children.   So at least Kym has regained his male status.     Ivan however is still alive until April 2019.

Meanwhile over the the  "Tracks who is name starts with B"   :blink: page, it appears that the Belle Vue Aces rode in the "Amateur League" in 1997 and haven''t been seen since.   The Belle Vue Colts rode in the Elite league in 1997, The National League in 2011 and MDL in 2012...but haven't been seen since either.  The National Speedway Stadium doesn't exist.

11 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Good news.   Julie, Kym and Debbie are now described as Ivan's children.   So at least Kym has regained his male status.     Ivan however is still alive until April 2019.

Meanwhile over the the  "Tracks who is name starts with B"   :blink: page, it appears that the Belle Vue Aces rode in the "Amateur League" in 1997 and haven''t been seen since.   The Belle Vue Colts rode in the Elite league in 1997, The National League in 2011 and MDL in 2012...but haven't been seen since either.  The National Speedway Stadium doesn't exist.

I cannot see any reason why this Post is in this thread. The thread is dedicated to Wembley - not Belle Vue (I fancy Manchester is some distance from where the Lions were active?) Based on this Poster's rationalisation and thinking we can next include the Costa Mesa track in California?

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, gustix said:

I cannot see any reason why this Post is in this thread. The thread is dedicated to Wembley - not Belle Vue (I fancy Manchester is some distance from where the Lions were active?) Based on this Poster's rationalisation and thinking we can next include the Costa Mesa track in California?

Based on your previous contributions, I can actually believe you don't have the requisite thinking skills to understand the post.

Meanwhile, you can find Wembley under the section of "Tracks Who Is Name Starts With W"  on the self-same grammatically mangled excuse of a so-called website which we are discussing in this thread.

In fact every letter of the Alphabet has the same "Who's/Whose" cock-up on this error-strewn  Stanley Unwin-esque excuse for a website that you embarassingly seem so keen to promote.

Edited by WalterPlinge
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Based on your previous contributions, I can actually believe you don't have the requisite thinking skills to understand the post.

Meanwhile, you can find Wembley under the section of "Tracks Who Is Name Starts With W"  on the self-same grammatically mangled excuse of a so-called website which we are discussing in this thread.

In fact every letter of the Alphabet has the same "Who's/Whose" cock-up on error-strewn  Stanley Unwin-esque excuse for a website that you embarassingly seem so keen to promote.

I also meant to ask you what Link Ivan Mauger and his family have in regard to a thread dealing with WEMBLEY? Perhaps you should read and understand thread titles?  Note - we are dealing with Wembley Memories in this thread. Just get with it! I suggest you create a new thread to debate the matters you seem so concerned about.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

I also meant to ask you what Link Ivan Mauger and his family have in regard to a thread dealing with WEMBLEY?

Ivan Mauger rode at Wembley many times.   He may have even won a title or two there.    (If only there was a reliable website written in English that you could consult to find out the correct information about Ivan's Wembley appearances!).

You might also like to google for some information that explains the world-wide-web to you, with particular reference to how discussion forums progress and evolve from original threads.  You might care to research how it is bad internet etiquette to keep opening new topics for similar discussions concerning the individual webpages of a naff and irrelevent error-strewn website badly written in HTML from the 1990s.