British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Harringay Memories

When Harringay returned to speedway in 1947 they initially included Danny Lee in their side. I have been told that he was also a second-half rider at the track in 1939. I have scanned so far as possible details of the team's matches for that season on the Speedway Researcher website but cannot trace any reference to Lee being linked to the north London track. If anyone can update on my query I would be most grateful.

2 hours ago, gustix said:

When Harringay returned to speedway in 1947 they initially included Danny Lee in their side. I have been told that he was also a second-half rider at the track in 1939. I have scanned so far as possible details of the team's matches for that season on the Speedway Researcher website but cannot trace any reference to Lee being linked to the north London track. If anyone can update on my query I would be most grateful.

I have checked the programmes for 16 of the 20 meetings at Harringay in 1939 and have found no record of Danny Lee taking part.  He did ride for Stoke, Belle Vue 2 (when they took over Stoke's remaining fixtures following their withdrawal from the league) and Southampton that year.  He also made appearances for a Newmarket team (based at a Cambridge grass track), as well as taking part in individual meetings at Bell End (Holbeach) and leading Danny Lee's Team in a challenge match against Ron Clarke's Team at Cowley Stadium, Oxford, in November.

10 minutes ago, BL65 said:

I have checked the programmes for 16 of the 20 meetings at Harringay in 1939 and have found no record of Danny Lee taking part.  He did ride for Stoke, Belle Vue 2 (when they took over Stoke's remaining fixtures following their withdrawal from the league) and Southampton that year.  He also made appearances for a Newmarket team (based at a Cambridge grass track), as well as taking part in individual meetings at Bell End (Holbeach) and leading Danny Lee's Team in a challenge match against Ron Clarke's Team at Cowley Stadium, Oxford, in November.

The reason I also sought clarification re Danny Lee was because I had given this career analysis to the Speedway Museum Online and thought that an update/amendment may have been needed. Thank you very much BL65. 

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/donnylee.html

10 minutes ago, gustix said:

The reason I also sought clarification re Danny Lee was because I had given this career analysis to the Speedway Museum Online and thought that an update/amendment may have been needed. Thank you very much BL65. 

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/donnylee.html

The article in the link mentions that Danny Lee started his career as a junior rider at West Ham in 1936.  He also competed in some second half races at the track in 1937.

Harringay was a strange sort of stadium with stands of all shapes and sizes. I worked there a few times in the 1980's, by then it was in a pretty run down state. At one end of the stadium there were big flights of steps that once led to the long gone Arena that was demolished in the late 1950's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Harringay was a strange sort of stadium with stands of all shapes and sizes. I worked there a few times in the 1980's, by then it was in a pretty run down state. At one end of the stadium there were big flights of steps that once led to the long gone Arena that was demolished in the late 1950's.

I recall Harringay Arena. I used to be a regular visitor there in the 1950s when it staged ice hockey - two teams were featured: Harringay Racers and Harringay Greyhounds.

15 hours ago, gustix said:

I recall Harringay Arena. I used to be a regular visitor there in the 1950s when it staged ice hockey - two teams were featured: Harringay Racers and Harringay Greyhounds.

Only went once to the stadium  to watch Provincial League riders championship in the early sixties won I believe by Trevor Redmond. Recall also Harringay Arena which was at one time the main boxing venue. Saw Ice Hockey and circuses there and went to the Ice Hockey school on occasions . My late father always claimed the Arena as built as replica of Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:35 PM, wealdstone said:

Only went once to the stadium  to watch Provincial League riders championship in the early sixties won I believe by Trevor Redmond. 

No, it was won by Reg Reeves. Trevor Redmond should have won as he was easily the best rider on the night. After four rides each, Redmond and Reeves both had 12 points. When they met, Redmond was well in front when his chain broke on the last bend and he finished last. He then beat Maury Mattingly in the run-off for overall second place.

Edited by norbold
typo
  • Like 2