British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

1997 Amateur League

The results I have don't tally with the published league table. I reckon two of the following results are wrong, can anyone tell me which ones?

04/05 Buxton v Belle Vue 53-25

06/06 Belle Vue v St. Austell 48-29

22/06 Buxton v St. Austell 40-32

24/06 St. Austell v Belle Vue 47-31

08/07 St. Austell v Buxton 37-41

18/07 Belle Vue v Buxton 41-37

On 1/2/2019 at 3:08 PM, daveallan81 said:

The results I have don't tally with the published league table. I reckon two of the following results are wrong, can anyone tell me which ones?

04/05 Buxton v Belle Vue 53-25                            Definitely 53-25

06/06 Belle Vue v St. Austell 48-29                       Definitely 48-29

22/06 Buxton v St. Austell 40-32                           Definitely 40-32

24/06 St. Austell v Belle Vue 47-31                        Definitely 47-31

08/07 St. Austell v Buxton 37-41                            Definitely 37-41

18/07 Belle Vue v Buxton 41-37                              Definitely 41-37

All confirmed as correct scores from 1997 programmes.

Are those scores taken from programme fixture/results lists or from the actual racecards themselves?

A league table up to and including 11th September 1997 carries what appears to be the correct points totals for Belle Vue, Buxton and St. Austell. However by 2nd October the points totals have been amended, and the differences are carried through to the final league table. However the three sides had already met, so I'm left with the notion that results have been amended after the event.

For the record the differences are (my totals v official totals):

Belle Vue - For 792 v 798 & Against 972 v 967

Buxton - For 960 v 948 & Against 890 v 901

St. Austell - For 957 v 963 & Against 877 v 871

I'm not sure about this.

Using CL History - part one (Vasey), he has the same results as you, and total race points for the three teams agreeing to the official figures.

I have added up all the results for the three teams, and they reconcile.

Have looked at league table in SS (up to 8 Sept) and added on St Austell figures for last two matches. They agree to Vasey and official totals so I see no evidence of changed results.

20 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

Are those scores taken from programme fixture/results lists or from the actual racecards themselves?

A league table up to and including 11th September 1997 carries what appears to be the correct points totals for Belle Vue, Buxton and St. Austell. However by 2nd October the points totals have been amended, and the differences are carried through to the final league table. However the three sides had already met, so I'm left with the notion that results have been amended after the event.

For the record the differences are (my totals v official totals):

Belle Vue - For 792 v 798 & Against 972 v 967

Buxton - For 960 v 948 & Against 890 v 901

St. Austell - For 957 v 963 & Against 877 v 871

Could be  'incorrect details' if in a published item be a printing error?

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

I'm not sure about this.

Using CL History - part one (Vasey), he has the same results as you, and total race points for the three teams agreeing to the official figures.

I have added up all the results for the three teams, and they reconcile.

Have looked at league table in SS (up to 8 Sept) and added on St Austell figures for last two matches. They agree to Vasey and official totals so I see no evidence of changed results.

Does the CL History table correspond with this one? http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/history/leaguetables1997.php

17 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

The majority from the actual racecards in the programmes.   They were all 100% right at the time, and I have absolutely nothing to suggest any were amended afterwards

22 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

The majority from the actual racecards in the programmes.   They were all 100% right at the time, and I have absolutely nothing to suggest any were amended afterwards

Thanks. There's obviously something else amiss in my file and/or calculations.

19 hours ago, arnieg said:

Yes - identical table

Thanks.

Just a small query - something outside what was being discussed perhaps. I was not especially involved in speedway activity at this time - my local track Wimbledon had closed five years before early in 1992.

My query is in the title Amateur League. In what context was the competition amateur. Were in fact as is accepted generally in amateur sport that the participants i.e the riders were not paid?