British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Big Al

Moderators: are you there?

8 hours ago, Gemini said:

Agree. We are all adults so shouldn't need to be moderated. The problem is the usual posters rising to the bait and replying to posts obviously designed to get them to respond. If only they wouldn't a lot of the rubbish would disappear but it would seem they  are intent on trying to have the last word so the pathetic posts carry on.

I would agree in principle however there are some on here who lack respect even when the subject is 'legitimate' and rather than 'debate' the subject like adults prefer to use derogatory terms as put downs if they don't happen to agree with your views and like a dog with a bone keep coming back for more...'last word' syndrome. There are subjects I have raised in the past affording debate but some on here won't let go decrying any such sensible discussion in an atttempt to grind one down. '"'m always right" syndrome and adopting 'spin' to twist and turn the discussion thereby defying any opposite view. Forums, afteral, are more about opinions rather than hard factual evidence and although I am more than happy to be corrected there are correct  and respectful ways of going about it. To use terms such as 'idiot' (or other such expressions) is just not acceptable in my view...a word often used by one particular candidate on here or displaying signs of outward aggression.

It would be laughable if it wasn't pathetic but you can guarentee that when certain posters comment on here they appear to attract the attention from the same old suspects who get some sort of satisfaction in deriding them and therefore 'massaging' their own egos. I've learnt to become somewhat selective in what I read now as I can't be bothered trawling thru' much of what's on here...I have better things to do!

Edited by steve roberts

22 hours ago, Kester said:

I find that the problem is not necessarily anything terrible that has been said. It's the fact that so many threads, particularly in the Premiership section, just descend into absolute drivel.  Caused by the usual trolls, and those who can't help but respond to their every post, even though they must know by now what the outcome will be.  

I used to enjoy reading through the forum and keeping in touch with things but these days find that, too often, it's just tedious garbage.

Yes, I  agree 100%, but it raises the question " when is a troll not a troll?" ,  in other words ,  how do you draw the line between the genuine trolls, and those that are just plain thick,  or socially inept or attention seekers or like others to think  they have inside information  when they don't, and all these other things that are irritable to most of us but not exactly trolling

Bottom line is, it's a public forum and you can't ban people just because you don't like the way they express themselves.

You are right though. I haven't looked at the Premiership section since the season finished and usually only have cursory glance at the Championship section, for the reasons you state. In a sense it reflects the way the sport in general is going, which is a shame because I have met some great people through Speedwáy. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Big Al said:

Arguing requires skill and intelligence!!

Depends who you’re arguing with

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 7:31 AM, steve roberts said:

I would agree in principle however there are some on here who lack respect even when the subject is 'legitimate' and rather than 'debate' the subject like adults prefer to use derogatory terms as put downs if they don't happen to agree with your views and like a dog with a bone keep coming back for more...'last word' syndrome. There are subjects I have raised in the past affording debate but some on here won't let go decrying any such sensible discussion in an atttempt to grind one down. '"'m always right" syndrome and adopting 'spin' to twist and turn the discussion thereby defying any opposite view. Forums, afteral, are more about opinions rather than hard factual evidence and although I am more than happy to be corrected there are correct  and respectful ways of going about it. To use terms such as 'idiot' (or other such expressions) is just not acceptable in my view...a word often used by one particular candidate on here or displaying signs of outward aggression.

It would be laughable if it wasn't pathetic but you can guarentee that when certain posters comment on here they appear to attract the attention from the same old suspects who get some sort of satisfaction in deriding them and therefore 'massaging' their own egos. I've learnt to become somewhat selective in what I read now as I can't be bothered trawling thru' much of what's on here...I have better things to do!

Does that really happen on the BSF? Certain Posters consistently reacting to other Posters in the manner you describe?

Edited by Guest

23 hours ago, Shadders said:

Depends who you’re arguing with

Well fair enough, when you know it's futile, then you stop - that's about making an intelligent choice. Part of the problem seems to be that some don't know when to stop!

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 8:09 PM, Kester said:

I find that the problem is not necessarily anything terrible that has been said. It's the fact that so many threads, particularly in the Premiership section, just descend into absolute drivel.  Caused by the usual trolls, and those who can't help but respond to their every post, even though they must know by now what the outcome will be.  

I used to enjoy reading through the forum and keeping in touch with things but these days find that, too often, it's just tedious garbage.

Fully agree. Just interested in seeing what, for example, Wolves fans think about their team, but it turns into scrolls of Donald Trump impersonators. Never mind. 

• Like 1