British Speedway Forum
JamesHarris

A British team in the Polish League - would it be a realistic option?

What you have to remember in most of these examples is a lot of those teams don’t really have a home league of any consequence.Latvia,Hungary,Estonia and even Finland.Wasn’t one of the problems also with the Baltic thing,one team didn’t even have a track

When you are talking about two countries with a multi league set up it is a different kettle of fish

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

What you have to remember in most of these examples is a lot of those teams don’t really have a home league of any consequence.Latvia,Hungary,Estonia and even Finland.Wasn’t one of the problems also with the Baltic thing,one team didn’t even have a track

When you are talking about two countries with a multi league set up it is a different kettle of fish

We have a league. Had one for 46 times and without interruptions since 1977. And despite a decent effort against it we gonna have one this year as well.

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Interesting to read somewhere that there are efforts being made to establish a Baltic League with teams from Russia (St P'burg) Finand, Estonia and Latvia. Possibly even Lithuania, (can't remember for sure) But this will be at the very junior level, almost semi-professional at best. From what I remember from the article I read, they tried this last year, I think, but it fell flat on it's face, but they are going to try again this year. Where there's a will, as they say...

Well I’d call it a success as the only thing I think went wrong last season was that the ukrainian club only rode one meeting. As to its level of professionalism, since I think no got paid I think it was an amateur league with young riders, mostly U21.

Edited by f-s-p

5 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

We have a league. Had one for 46 times and without interruptions since 1977. And despite a decent effort against it we gonna have one this year as well.

Yes,but isn’t it one of those 4tt leagues

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Yes,but isn’t it one of those 4tt leagues

No. Its gonna be a 5tt league this season with 9 teams in total.

But for the past decade it was a 4tt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, f-s-p said:

No. Its gonna be a 5tt league this season with 9 teams in total.

But for the past decade it was a 4tt.

Oh maybe there was a piece about the new development in the latest Sanomat?I should learn to read it?:drink:

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Oh maybe there was a piece about the new development in the latest Sanomat?I should learn to read it?:drink:

Nice to know you still get it! :t:

• Thanks 1

This has the basis of a good idea and, by amazing coincidence, one I thought briefly about only the other day when talking about Champions League football and the various international cricket franchises operating their T20 and 'Big Bash' tournaments that attract a lot of interest and media backing.

As many have already pointed out, the obvious key to success is commercial support from a TV broadcaster plus major sponsorship to meet the riders' pay expectations. A huge obstacle to overcome. As speedway worldwide is already drawing from a relatively small and shrinking financial pool, the Polish authorities in particular will be wary of encouraging another league likely to impact adversely (financially) on their Ekstralika.

But it can be done.

I've clearly not thought this bit through, but, rather than say Poole or Swindon or whoever from the current Premiership, how about two completely new independent BRITISH teams riding in the new Euro League? For want of much better names, let's call them 'LIONS 1' and LIONS 2' for now. 

Instead of having an established home track each, the seven or eight home fixtures for BOTH Lions teams could be spread around the country, giving fans all over Britain the chance to see top quality riders and competitive racing? Those matches would not only bring more credibility to British speedway, they would help to plug gaping holes in the Premiership fixture list.

It would be no different to a national football team, such as Spain, playing home internationals at various grounds like Bernabeu (Madrid), Nou Camp (Barcelona), Valencia, Seville, etc.

Naturally, the BSPA would have to earn a cut from this but they are hardly in a strong bargaining position.

Edited by tmc
  • Like 1

Why would some ‘wanderers’ team racing against city teams bring credibility to the sport?Sounds like the half baked idea of having London play in the European Cup,which was quickly dropped after a couple of seasons..,,

48 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Why would some ‘wanderers’ team racing against city teams bring credibility to the sport?Sounds like the half baked idea of having London play in the European Cup,which was quickly dropped after a couple of seasons..,,

True, I admit it was a half-baked idea. But then so was T20 cricket when the traditionalists first heard of it.

3 minutes ago, tmc said:

True, I admit it was a half-baked idea. But then so was T20 cricket when the traditionalists first heard of it.

But everything is seen from a British perspective.We would have a task to get one competitive team on the basis people seem to be suggesting.Then we have the trouble of the Polish team having to change their line-up from the Polish league line-up and we know polish fans aren’t like Brits.They don’t like Mickey Mouse stuff and they don’t like made up things.Mot sure the Swedes would follow a made up team either This is the problem with speedway.We end up trying to fit a square peg into a round hole

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

But everything is seen from a British perspective.We would have a task to get one competitive team on the basis people seem to be suggesting.Then we have the trouble of the Polish team having to change their line-up from the Polish league line-up and we know polish fans aren’t like Brits.They don’t like Mickey Mouse stuff and they don’t like made up things.Mot sure the Swedes would follow a made up team either This is the problem with speedway.We end up trying to fit a square peg into a round hole

Yes, sounds a bit Harlem Globe Trotters/Barbarians which is a bit novelty act.  I don't see any reason why the team(s) based in Britain would have to be comprised entirely of British riders. The product needs competitive teams to produce exciting action.  The nationality of the riders is irrelevant.  

37 minutes ago, enotian said:

Yes, sounds a bit Harlem Globe Trotters/Barbarians which is a bit novelty act.  I don't see any reason why the team(s) based in Britain would have to be comprised entirely of British riders. The product needs competitive teams to produce exciting action.  The nationality of the riders is irrelevant.  

Sorry for my bad explanation. By Lions 1 & 2, I meant they were the British TEAM representatives in NAME only.

Most importantly, they are the two teams whose HOME matches would be raced on UK tracks.

What I am NOT suggesting is that they should comprise only British riders. That obviously wouldn't make them competitive.

The two Lions teams would be made up of riders of various nationalities, as are current British, Polish and Swedish league teams.

So Hancock, Woffy, Lindback, etc, could possibly ride for one of the Lions teams.

• Like 1

Don't like the idea of a super league that much, but the idea of a British club entering the top flight polish league offers a range of benefits to both nations. I think the marketing potential for polish companies into the British market is probably pretty appealing to Polish sponsors, and of course there is already a lucrative tv deal in place meaning every meeting is live on tv, that will be the main revenue earner, with the gate receipts being a bonus. I think the Poole, Belle Vue, and Bees are probably the most famous names outside of GB (so Pearson and Tattum have said many times, the world famous....) so probably most marketable. And the sort of fixtures the NSS was built for.

Unlike many nice notions and well intended ideas on here I actually think if the right people got behind it, could be set up within a couple of seasons. Logistics aren't that big of an issue with riders on planes as often as pilots during the season anyway.

Could it happen, possibly. Will it happen, I very much doubt it. 

• Like 1