British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brianbuck

Rev Limiters

Have just noticed that the SCB have issued a notice to the effect that Rev Limiters will be mandatory on all speedway bikes from the start of the 2020 season.

As a supporter with no mechanical knowledge whatsoever,  I'd be grateful if someone who has, would explain what these are, and what effect they will have on the bikes.

Thanks in anticipation!

I asked Chris Louis at a recent supporters night about these and his opinion was that they were close to pointless

• Like 1

A Rev limiter cutting in half way round a corner will suddenly give the bike grip!!! Result will be the rider falling off ,!!!!! 

A rev limiter cutting in at the end of the straight ..... results, rider falling off. 

Smart riders could incorporate it into a device which will be a traction control to cut in when needed. 

Loads of unburnt methanol at the start line because the limiters are cutting in....... result in blown and sneezed motors.

where is the testing for this ?..????

• Like 1

The hard limit to be set at 13500 - cant see this being an issue anywhere other than the startline so any fears of it kicking in mid corner are surely unfounded

Presumably this is an attempt to reduce engine wear and therefore costs by removing the issue at the start where almost all the stress halpens

Even there the opinion of Chris Louis was that the benefit would be minimal

• Like 3

Dont see the point as the only time they have any use is at the startline. Current engines can rev up to 18k but is used in racing between 8-12k if I remember correct. But I guess savings are savings even if only for the 4 seconds before tapes up...

• Like 1

They will potentially get better starts - all those revs don't help.  RIders will adapt.  

• Like 1

Of course once upon a time riders used to twist the throttle back and forwards on the start line so as to gain maximum grip when the tapes rose...now of course it's just full revs with the throttle full on akin to rocket propulsion when the clutch is eventually released.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

I like the idea of rev limiters being introduced, would like to see the limit dropped a bit each year as in the end it could phase out the super short stroke motors that are on such a knife edge for set up. In my opinion the long stroke motors worked more safely on a bigger variety of surfaces.

They recommend a soft limiter kicking in before the hard limit which should reduce the risk of the limiter picking up unwanted grip. In reality its no different to gearing the bike right now, under gear it and it over revs and loses power, you would just gear the bike to suit the limiter. None of it will apply unless the limit is reduced in the future anyway so the worst that can happen at the set limit is not over revving on the start (or in the pits!) which can only extend engine life.

Think you'll find there is quite a lot of throttle variation on the gate from decent riders to suit the conditions even if it doesn't look like it.

• Like 2

Think a cost effective way of reducing speed and therefore cost is limiting power.  Using standard & sealed F2, 2v JAWAs or even the Honda engines of decades would be a good idea, but this would render riders' current equipment as worthless junk.  So if the maximum permitted power, for league racing at least, was set to say 65BHP or 70BHP (I forget the power output of modern bikes) provided riders used 500cc engine of up to 4 valves with homologated carbs & silencers.  Riders could retain and use their existing engines without necessarily binning ignition systems and all the internal 'trick' parts and it would be up to them how they achieved a power limit.  Riders could get their engines tested at approved centres, like motorcycle MOT stations, and the SCB employ random 'rolling road' testing throughout the season to police the idea.    Just an idea....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling, sigh

17 hours ago, ch958 said:

Dean Felton? Tell us what you think

I think I remember Dean being in favour of them a short while ago.

Incidentally, I am told Josh Auty did tests on these limiters at Scunny last year.

Edited by Tsunami

8 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The hard limit to be set at 13500 - cant see this being an issue anywhere other than the startline so any fears of it kicking in mid corner are surely unfounded

Presumably this is an attempt to reduce engine wear and therefore costs by removing the issue at the start where almost all the stress halpens

Even there the opinion of Chris Louis was that the benefit would be minimal

if its not going to kick in other than the start , ( most are not even revving full out at the start anyway ) hows it going to save any engine wear ,. Unban titanium which gains extra power by allowing higher revs but costs the earth , then bring in a new untried piece of clobber (no doubt another expensive piece of junk )  to prevent what you assisted by un banning titanium .. somethings stinks here . can't wait to see who's behind this money maker

• Like 2

PROBABLY bringing speedway into line with every other form of motorcycle racing under the FIM umbrella... many in favour after a comprehensive study by an FIM working party

• Like 1