British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brianbuck

Rev Limiters

From my far from accurate mechanical knowledge i thought a standard short stroke gm revved to 12k rpm and the baby gm got to 13.5k rpm max. Unless there is a newer generation then the limiter is introduced to prevent the a selection of the engines going passed their very maximum revs which would only possibly be achieved on the start line when held by irritating referee's. Sounds like another load of unnecessary expense imposed upon every rider to me.

13 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

PROBABLY bringing speedway into line with every other form of motorcycle racing under the FIM umbrella... many in favour after a comprehensive study by an FIM working party

We'll see how many are in favour when they have to start using them , my guess is it will be the people who make or sell them  that will be all for them and nobody else , the FIMs knowledge of speedway could be written on a postage stamp , and the fact that you suggest the working party thinks that the operation of a speedway bikes engine can be lumped in with other forms of motorcycle sport  is a more than adeqaute demonstration of that .  imposing a potentially dangerous piece of equipment without proper testing or approval from the people who have to use it  is another one ,

Edited by adonis

23 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Of course once upon a time riders used to twist the throttle back and forwards on the start line so as to gain maximum grip when the tapes rose...now of course it's just full revs with the throttle full on akin to rocket propulsion when the clutch is eventually released.

not many hold them full on , half to 3/4  then let the clutch out and give it full throttle , when taters was the worlds best gater he used to say a fast start happens in the first 3 yards by feathering the clutch and throttle to make it grip , full throttle from the start will just help to dig a hole .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, adonis said:

We'll see how many are in favour when they have to start using them , my guess is it will be the people who make or sell them  that will be all for them and nobody else , the FIMs knowledge of speedway could be written on a postage stamp , and the fact that you suggest the working party thinks that the operation of a speedway bikes engine can be lumped in with other forms of motorcycle sport  is a more than adeqaute demonstration of that .  imposing a potentially dangerous piece of equipment without proper testing or approval from the people who have to use it  is another one ,

GP Riders have had the opportunity to test rev-limiters for some time now, although I believe only a few have been bothered to test them.

42 minutes ago, Gambo said:

GP Riders have had the opportunity to test rev-limiters for some time now, although I believe only a few have been bothered to test them.

Just the same as the positive killswitch , solid block tyres , carb restrictors , foisted on the riders untested ,by people who don't have a clue about the effect , all things brought about with little or no thought , and all things that got dumped after somebody else had the expense of buying them , I forgot to say , the GP riders don't bother testing them because they have no intention of ever using them .

Edited by adonis

17 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

17 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THEY will be compulsory

so were positive cutouts . solid block tyres and  carb throat restrictors . how long did any of those compulsory items last ? . I'm guessing from your eagerness to promote them ,Briggs is involved somewwhere along the way ,

Rev limiters were tested a few years ago by a couple of riders at a couple of tracks & initial reports were favourable. D Howe was 1 of the said riders.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Rev limiters were tested a few years ago by a couple of riders at a couple of tracks & initial reports were favourable. D Howe was 1 of the said riders.

I don't doubt that on certain tracks etc they would be favourable, namely slick tyre shredders but were the limiters tested adjustable? Which of course would offer riders a choice rather than the newly proposed limiters at the top of any usable rev limits and therefore rendered largely useless.

23 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I don't doubt that on certain tracks etc they would be favourable, namely slick tyre shredders but were the limiters tested adjustable? Which of course would offer riders a choice rather than the newly proposed limiters at the top of any usable rev limits and therefore rendered largely useless.

the best way to limit revs is with your right hand ,  if you get that right you become a great rider like hans neilsen ,  I saw him break a couple of track records never heard his engines screaming for mercy at any time though . on the slick or knee deep in dirt 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, adonis said:

so were positive cutouts . solid block tyres and  carb throat restrictors . how long did any of those compulsory items last ? . I'm guessing from your eagerness to promote them ,Briggs is involved somewwhere along the way ,

STUPID remark. I am not promoting them, wouldn't know a rev limiter from a banana and don't have a view either way. Just stating the facts which includes that several riders and tuners are in favour, believing that they will considerably reduce wear and tear (at the starting gate) and reduce costs. 

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

STUPID remark. I am not promoting them, wouldn't know a rev limiter from a banana and don't have a view either way. Just stating the facts which includes that several riders and tuners are in favour, believing that they will considerably reduce wear and tear (at the starting gate) and reduce costs. 

tuners of course ,££££££££££££££££,.  care to name any riders Or in fact any ex riders who are in favour ?

11 minutes ago, adonis said:

tuners of course ,££££££££££££££££,.  care to name any riders Or in fact any ex riders who are in favour ?

WILL do so in SS before long ...

I wonder if the reason they are being brought in, is not necessarily to reduce the cost to riders, although a rev limiter may help with wear costs, but the main reason could be to try and level the 'playing field'. 

18 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I wonder if the reason they are being brought in, is not necessarily to reduce the cost to riders, although a rev limiter may help with wear costs, but the main reason could be to try and level the 'playing field'. 

very much doubt it , rev limiters work ok  with petrol and on tarmac ,  methanol is  whole different ball game ,  and riding on a loose surface where a consistent level of spin means you can safely steer .  how many times have you seen riders with the front wheel off the floor mid turn , yanking on the throttle to get the back wheel spinning and the front wheel back down , try doing that when a  rev limiter kicks in !!