British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brianbuck

Rev Limiters

6 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Rev limiters were tested a few years ago by a couple of riders at a couple of tracks & initial reports were favourable. D Howe was 1 of the said riders.

Yes, at Scunny. 

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

APPARENTLY Freddie Lindgren won an SGP with a rev limiter fitted...

Also Josh Auty has been using them.

4 hours ago, adonis said:

tuners of course ,££££££££££££££££,.  care to name any riders Or in fact any ex riders who are in favour ?

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WILL do so in SS before long ...

Will you also name those (if any) that are against them (genuine, unbiased question!!)?

34 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Will you also name those (if any) that are against them (genuine, unbiased question!!)?

YES

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

APPARENTLY Freddie Lindgren won an SGP with a rev limiter fitted...

11 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Also Josh Auty has been using them.

Not going to trawl through the regs but is there anything in place at the moment that states rev limiters are currently allowed? Could they not fall under traction control which is not permitted at present?

I (kind of) remember a few years ago at Exeter, when Newcastle were there, that one of the Falcons riders was using a rev limiter and the Diamonds management complained and he was told not to use it as it was "giving him an unfair advantage."  I think the rider was Seemond Stephens, but don't hold me to that.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Not going to trawl through the regs but is there anything in place at the moment that states rev limiters are currently allowed? Could they not fall under traction control which is not permitted at present?

there is a rule that ignition must be from a single source  and  static ,  rev limiter could fall into that category , about 3 years back Martin smolinski had a Polish button fitted , (advances the ignition ) and Holder and another whining aussie  reported him for cheating , several of the Poles had been using them for a while unnoticed   ,remember those blasts around the fence from Gollob   and everybody wondering where the extra speed came from !!

Edited by adonis

2 hours ago, adonis said:

There is a rule that ignition must be from a single source  and  static ,  rev limiter could fall into that category , about 3 years back Martin smolinski had a Polish button fitted , (advances the ignition ) and Holder and another whining aussie  reported him for cheating , several of the Poles had been using them for a while unnoticed   ,remember those blasts around the fence from Gollob   and everybody wondering where the extra speed came from !!

The static means the ignition timing can't be adjusted on the fly, only manually  at  standstill. The single source bit I think is pretty much the same as the static rule in that it stops the rider switching from 1 ignition to a secondary ignition on the fly. So not technically adjusting the ignition, but switching between 2. Much the same thing.

As adonis said in a previous post, rev limiters work fine on tarmac when the wheel isn't spinning. On my road bike all it does it makes it feel like the bike is misfiring and the bike won't pull anymore. But a speedway bike needs to be spinning to turn the thing, so if it did cut in mid corner, in theory the bike would grip/stop spinning for a split second, but in that time will it be enough to launch the bike ?  I've only rode a speedway bike on a field, badly, so it would be good to hear from someone with more knowledge on the limiter thing :t:.

The soft limiter cutting in first would be like a fairly minor misfire so you should have plenty of warning. Every other off road bike has rev limiters including our flat track bikes, because we have less tyre grip though it's a fair bit different and we would usually gear to hit the limiter twice a lap at the ends of the straights on Speedway tracks. As pointed out though the Speedway limiter is to be set so high that it won't come into play once away from the gate.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vince said:

The soft limiter cutting in first would be like a fairly minor misfire so you should have plenty of warning. Every other off road bike has rev limiters including our flat track bikes, because we have less tyre grip though it's a fair bit different and we would usually gear to hit the limiter twice a lap at the ends of the straights on Speedway tracks. As pointed out though the Speedway limiter is to be set so high that it won't come into play once away from the gate.

Only time will tell . I dont really expect them to be in use much longer than april 2020 ,  first time somebody crashes because the limiter kicks in mid turn , or the misfiring leads to bore wash ,or worse still hydraulic lock that smashes the conrod , these things are history .  lets just hope when the crash happens nobody gets seriously hurt . IMO  theres no comparison between speedway and any other form of motorcycle racing .  reducing the revs at the start will lead to problems of flipping people off as well ,

5 hours ago, StevePark said:

I (kind of) remember a few years ago at Exeter, when Newcastle were there, that one of the Falcons riders was using a rev limiter and the Diamonds management complained and he was told not to use it as it was "giving him an unfair advantage."  I think the rider was Seemond Stephens, but don't hold me to that.

No, it was a retard switch Steve, which by using it it was deemed to be a programable adaption. The rider Seemond was retarding the engine at the start and, when hitting the bend in front, returning the setting to normal. His starting was so suspect it was pretty obvious. I was the one that was tipped off by Nick Thorp(Andre's Mechanic then) and registered a complaint to the ref. Interesting Seemond stopped using it for a couple of races before using it again after the ref turned the complaint down, for a scoresheet like 33003. Pretty obvious wasn't it.  

• Thanks 1

Sam Ermolenko used such a switch on his handlebars at Hull on at least one occasion; v Belle Vue June 1999 live on Sky, the one where Joe Screen & Jimmy Nielsen went handlebar to handlebar on the back straight post-race.  Think the entire meeting is on Youtube, that race certainly is, on the live broadcast after the match Kelvin asked about the switch Sam explained (words to the effect of) "it's for different ignition timing settings, something I'm trying out".  Dunno whether he used it before or afterwards....

1 hour ago, martinmauger said:

Sam Ermolenko used such a switch on his handlebars at Hull on at least one occasion; v Belle Vue June 1999 live on Sky, the one where Joe Screen & Jimmy Nielsen went handlebar to handlebar on the back straight post-race.  Think the entire meeting is on Youtube, that race certainly is, on the live broadcast after the match Kelvin asked about the switch Sam explained (words to the effect of) "it's for different ignition timing settings, something I'm trying out".  Dunno whether he used it before or afterwards....

In the late 90's there was a request for riders to be allowed programable ignition systems, which would auto do the settings for different stages in the racing. A vote was held with all league riders, and there was a majority of riders who didn't want such an extra expense. So when I knew that Seemond had a switch on his bars, I knew it was an attempt to change the ignition setting from retard at the start gate, to normal after the first bend. I pointed this out during the meeting, hence why Seemond stopped using it, but after the referee refused to do anything about it, Seemond went back to using it and won his last race. They definitely worked. Just a pity that at a later year 2002,  Davey Watt hadn't used one and he might have reached the first bend with everyone else. Instead of tootling around at the back for the 3 rides we allowed him. :angry:

• Like 4

The revs are raised at the start but too much will lead to lots of rotation or the rear wheel leading to it digging in rather than driving forward. Towards the end of meetings, as the track slickens off, I hear what sounds like a miss-firing engine  at the start line but is one or more bikes that have altered the ignition to suit.

I remember seeing in a GP this last year that after a rider won a heat he was riding back to the pits & the rider reached over with his left hand to a switch or something near his cut out and was not removing the cord. Could this have been a secondary ignition? I am not sure if the rider was Andersen or Iversen.