British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brianbuck

Rev Limiters

The new GM NX engine assembled at the factory is 3995€ + VAT so its not that one then...

The way I see it, why bother creating a new spec engine since it’s not gonna get used anyway. It would need to be introduced accross the world and replace the old ones and we know thats not gonna happen. 

21 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I did say MODERN 2 valve engines. What was wrong in speedway in the 1970's, after the outdated JAP engine and before the more expensive 4 valvers?

So you tell me, how are costs going to be reduced so that speedway is a cheaper sport to run? Or are we just going to watch speedway in uk continue to die a slow death. 

Use rev limiters?

but you still have a machine which is virtually the only machine on the world market, that newcomers to the sport have to handle and maintain. If speedway was just as exciting on machines of the 70's, and the engines of a modern day 2 valve would be cheaper to purchase, maintain and easier to ride, then why not do a u turn, or is that not allowed.

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

but you still have a machine which is virtually the only machine on the world market, that newcomers to the sport have to handle and maintain. If speedway was just as exciting on machines of the 70's, and the engines of a modern day 2 valve would be cheaper to purchase, maintain and easier to ride, then why not do a u turn, or is that not allowed.

I don't think any motorised sport goes backwards for any reason, but I think F1 did ditch the big engine (5litres ?) down to aspirated 1.5 litres many years ago.

20 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Why are you so convinced that a modern day two valve would be so much cheaper to maintain? The two extra valves, spring and seats aren't going to have a major impact on the cost and I just can't see the logic of your argument for 2v engines.

• Like 1

I understand that there was a cost rise going from 2 valve to 4 valves engines, that was the start of really higher costs. Two inlet and two exhaust tracts to work on for better flow performance. If there was exciting racing then, why go to the complexity of todays rocket ships, plus 2 valves would be easier for the new entrants to the sport to ride as well.

All last year, and previous years, there has been some discontent on this forum in respect of cost and performance of todays rockets. I have no doubt will hear the same thing on this forum during 2019 as well. 

On 1/22/2019 at 3:32 PM, f-s-p said:

What do they do? 

JImmy mac is a machine examiner ,  making sure people are using round wheels and not square ,tatum ex rider  gives his expertise as to how difficult square wheels can be on tight turns

21 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

i'm afraid  it's too late to turn back the clocks now , modern metalurgy and machining capability  would mean  ,not much effort to make a 2 valve just a revvy and fast , and just as expensive in parts to keep servicing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adonis said:

JImmy mac is a machine examiner ,  making sure people are using round wheels and not square ,tatum ex rider  gives his expertise as to how difficult square wheels can be on tight turns

So nothing I couldnt do :lol:

ashtechs video with a few tip how to look after your engine including his say on the rev limiter 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mac101 said:

ashtechs video with a few tip how to look after your engine including his say on the rev limiter 

INTERESTING even for technical morons like me... thanks Ash

• Like 1

Engine development in the Motor industry has been encouraged (forced) to produce smaller and more efficient engines that go just, if not faster than before.

Surely the majority of UK tracks (Belle Vue apart) do not need such high powered engines.

Reducing the cost of engine maintenance should be the priority if the sport is to continue as it is in the UK.

2 hours ago, GWC said:

Engine development in the Motor industry has been encouraged (forced) to produce smaller and more efficient engines that go just, if not faster than before.

Surely the majority of UK tracks (Belle Vue apart) do not need such high powered engines.

Reducing the cost of engine maintenance should be the priority if the sport is to continue as it is in the UK.

Taking the early part of this comment, some of the "best" / closest racing i have seen regularly features 250cc speedway machines, the lack of power actually enables the riders to take a few more liberties and are forced to look for additional grip from the track. Given the nature of UK tracks these could be a much more practical solution however they wouldn't resolve the  cost reduction element.

A good video yes. Radio controlled car industry is full of vids like that, just that with a 100+ manufacturers they all have a commercial agenda. Basically what Ash just said is what he wrote 2 years ago.