British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brianbuck

Rev Limiters

9 hours ago, f-s-p said:

A good video yes. Radio controlled car industry is full of vids like that, just that with a 100+ manufacturers they all have a commercial agenda. Basically what Ash just said is what he wrote 2 years ago.

How would Ash's video benefit him? He has said rev limiters would cut rider's costs. Unless you have evidence to say he'll get more work because they'll be more damaging to engine's (which they won't be).

I wonder if the rev limiter could ever become a "smart" rev limiter, hooked up to a transponder whereby like in Formula E the fans can vote in extra revs for a rider of their choice for certain (safe-ish) parts of the track?

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

I wonder if the rev limiter could ever become a "smart" rev limiter, hooked up to a transponder whereby like in Formula E the fans can vote in extra revs for a rider of their choice for certain (safe-ish) parts of the track?

The considered opinion is that Rev Limiters only have any effect at the start.

Back in my days as a 17 year old owner of a Triumph Tiger Cub, we had a rev limiter! Only it was just called a throttle in those days! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nowadays, they are using electronics & programmes to use in motor sport for the perfect start.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, Gambo said:

The considered opinion is that Rev Limiters only have any effect at the start.

Back in my days as a 17 year old owner of a Triumph Tiger Cub, we had a rev limiter! Only it was just called a throttle in those days! 

Tiger Cubs had a big end that would disintegrate within a few seconds as a secondary rev limiter though :D

• Like 1

I lost track of speedway just at the time when Weslake and Jawa were the dominate engine and then came back to the sport when the lay down invasion had started.

Did Weslake just give up down at Rye or was it their commercial decision not to compete?

Whilst lay downs have made the sport quicker and maybe more spectacular the safety of the riders isn’t and the knock on effect has been the introduction of the air fence and loss of racing lines.

Its just as well that medical technology has kept aspace!

With this innovation due to come in for 2020, be interesting to see if the forthcoming AGM discusses implications and makes public comment.

• Like 2

Riders just go for the cheapest one! We had a Prodrive silencer at one time; this was much better quality than the most common type, but cost twice as much so noone bought them! Before you ask, they were selling them off cheap as remaindered stock.

i think it was VW that had a form of rev limiter built into the early rotor arms of their ignition system . when the centrifugal force  spun the rotor arm past a certain RPM  , a small spring would open up and cut out the electrical circuit  to the dizzy cap and the revs simply stopped .  dont think they have anything like that nowadays . its all ecu,s and other things .. but as they say on here , the moment you back the throttle off , as speedway bike speeds up ! 

jeez , is that the time ?

On 11/6/2019 at 5:09 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

Also is the 4 years of silencer homogenisation not up so there could be potential new models added to the usable list?

EDITED POST

The current homo-program is so, that you get the silencer homologated and each year stamp it with a production year. U cant use silencers over 5 years old. For what I know thats the plan high up how to continue, no change to decibel levels in the foreseeable future...

Edited by f-s-p

On 11/6/2019 at 6:13 PM, *JJ said:

Riders just go for the cheapest one! We had a Prodrive silencer at one time; this was much better quality than the most common type, but cost twice as much so noone bought them! Before you ask, they were selling them off cheap as remaindered stock.

Prodrives were the ones to have when they were introduced.

12 hours ago, jenga said:

i think it was VW that had a form of rev limiter built into the early rotor arms of their ignition system . when the centrifugal force  spun the rotor arm past a certain RPM  , a small spring would open up and cut out the electrical circuit  to the dizzy cap and the revs simply stopped .  dont think they have anything like that nowadays . its all ecu,s and other things .. but as they say on here , the moment you back the throttle off , as speedway bike speeds up ! 

jeez , is that the time ?

Hit the rev limiter on a modern bike and all that happens is you get a slight misfire, much more like an over rev on an old engine than backing the throttle off. Points bounce was always a good indication you had reached 8000rpm and needed to fit electronic ignition in the old days too.

Road bikes now have all sorts of traction control and anti wheelie options. Even my flat track bikes have mapping choices and start options that are basic traction control, it all works flawlessly, whether you need it or it is desirable is another story, I've used the same map since I've had the bike I use and never bothered with the start option. From 2019 the Yamaha YZ450 MX bike has had the option to connect to it via Bluetooth and make quite significant changes to the fuelling and timing from your phone. I've been tempted by that, not because I'd need it but I'd enjoy playing with it!

I can't see the set up suggested for Speedway doing any harm at all and it may well have some benefits, especially if the option to gradually lower limits was used.

• Like 1

how things have moved on in most forms of motorsport . 

On 11/9/2019 at 8:19 AM, f-s-p said:

EDITED POST

The current homo-program is so, that you get the silencer homologated and each year stamp it with a production year. U cant use silencers over 5 years old. For what I know thats the plan high up how to continue, no change to decibel levels in the foreseeable future...

From what i am aware the major supplier of silencers across the UK are all marked and marketed as 2015 KING silencer. Even purchasing one this season will see it stamped 2015 so are you saying that everyone is being slightly tucked up and after the 2020 everyone will need to replace everything they own? 

• Like 1