British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
andout

2019 SoN Draw

From the FIM Today....

The 2019 Monster Energy FIM Speedway of Nations draw has been revealed as Germany and Great Britain launch their quest for World Championship gold on home shale in May.

Race Off 1 at Landshut on May 4 sees the Germans host neighbours Poland, who are bidding to secure their ninth world title of the 21st century and their first since the World Championship switched to a pairs format last year.

They are joined in Bavaria by 2018 finalists Sweden, who are aiming to win their first world crown since 2015.

Slovenia – who were a run-off away from the Monster Energy SON Finals last summer – also battle it out, along with the Czech Republic, Italy and the Ukraine.

Race Off 2 at Manchester’s National Speedway Stadium on May 11 pits GB against old rivals Australia, managed by Belle Vue boss Mark Lemon on his SGB Premiership home track.

They are also drawn against Denmark – a nation seeking its fifth world title of the 21st century and its first under the stewardship of four-time world champion Hans Nielsen.

France and Finland return to Manchester after competing in last year’s Race Off 2 there, while USA and Latvia complete the line-up. 

The top two countries in each event will join hosts and defending champions Russia in the Monster Energy SON Finals at Togliatti on July 20 and 21. The teams placed fourth and fifth will then compete in a knock-out heat with the winner of that facing the third-placed side for the last spot in Russia.

MONSTER ENERGY SPEEDWAY OF NATIONS DRAW
RACE OFF 1, LANDSHUT, GERMANY (May 4)
: Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Poland, Slovenia, Sweden, Ukraine.
RACE OFF 2, MANCHESTER, GREAT BRITAIN (May 11): Australia, Denmark, Great Britain, France, Finland, Latvia, USA.
FINALS, TOGLIATTI, RUSSIA (July 20 & 21): Russia, three teams from Race Off 1, three teams from Race Off 2.

Speedway of Nations

Pairs again- I thought it was meant to alternate with the team event.....

• Like 1

There should be some good racing at Manchester.  Latvia will be spoliers.   Will get tickets.  

13 hours ago, Mark said:

There should be some good racing at Manchester.  Latvia will be spoliers.   Will get tickets.  

Hancock also likely to be a spoiler, the Finns & French didn't disgrace themselves last year either.   Germany should secure third behind Sweden & Poland in the other semi, Milik & Zagar to be the spoilers at that one.

57 minutes ago, Col said:

Hancock also likely to be a spoiler, the Finns & French didn't disgrace themselves last year either.   Germany should secure third behind Sweden & Poland in the other semi, Milik & Zagar to be the spoilers at that one.

I thought Hancock has retired from SoN to give younger riders a try but maybe that has changed.    I hope he rides as it would be cool to see him in the UK

Looking for any advice as I am struggling to find a direct flight to Samara airport Russia any help would be  appreciated

Did a 'draw' actually take place at all.

Or would it be more accurate to say that the composition of each semi was 'chosen' by FIM/BSI more deliberately than by chance.

Edited by Grand Central

10 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Or would it be more accurate to say that the composition of each semi was 'chosen' by FIM/BSI more deliberately than by chance.

CANNOT remember it ever being any different ... lots of logistics come into play

Edited by PHILIPRISING

10 hours ago, Grand Central said:

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CANNOT remember it ever being any different ... lots of logistics come into play

Of course there is a draw, ask anyone who was present and they'll say there was. Logistics play a part naturally. Thats why Finland is in Manchester and not Landshut.

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

That would be a 'no' to a straight draw, then. And as you say just like many other years

3 hours ago, f-s-p said:

Of course there is a draw, ask anyone who was present and they'll say there was. Logistics play a part naturally. Thats why Finland is in Manchester and not Landshut.

That would be a yes, or partly, perhaps.

I only wondered. That is all.
I'm not really any wiser, but hey-ho. Not of any improtance at all.

Edited by Grand Central

I USED to sit around during CCP meetings and one of the few things that kept me awake was the horse-trading that went on ... which riders went where, which event went where and so on. Doubt whether much if anything has changed except, as you say, BSI now have a voice at the SGP/SWC Bureau meetings.

I thought Ukraine competed last year in place of Slovakia due to Vaculik being injured, so why no Slovakia this year?

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

That would be a 'no' to a straight draw, then. And as you say just like many other years

That would be a yes, or partly, perhaps.

I only wondered. That is all.
I'm not really any wiser, but hey-ho. Not of any improtance at all.

I think F-S-P was answering NO but he put it tactfully :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

I thought Ukraine competed last year in place of Slovakia due to Vaculik being injured, so why no Slovakia this year?

Possibly because this year you must have 3 riders- the reserve must be U21 I`m struggling to name 2 let alone 3 !!!!