British Speedway Forum
tonyd

Rye House & Lydde

1 hour ago, f-s-p said:

Here in Finland.

In Finland we had a racing class that translates more or less "Sports machines" (thats not good translation) that was very active lets say until late 90's. It was mx or iceroadracing bikes that had approved tires for the tracks they used. It was a class that was ridden in longtrack meetings as a support class and had enough riders to justify themselves. For some reason with the decline of LT racing itself that class disappeared completely. Until FT was re-invented by Castagna and taken under CCP in the FIM early this decade. I think the first FIM Cup was at Forssa and won by that italian fellow. Anyway, FT in Finland is the same as the old class mentioned, only that U need to use FT tyres homologated by FIM.

So far we've had a few "speedway-quitters" taken on FT but not the other way around. There really arent meetings for this class on speedway tracks, I think there's been one since the class was launched as FT, and they've ridden a few alongside LT.

I have to put my hand up and say I'm a speedway fan and these mx bikes doing circles while bouncing and braking in to corners does not appeal to me  AT ALL. It's boring. But I'm just one, there are over 5M of us more in Finland. :neutral:

:D 

Personally, I have never seen a Flat Track race in the UK or anywhere else, but if it keeps a stadium 'alive', such as the Rye House stadium, then it has a thumbs up from me. 

4 hours ago, gustix said:

American and Canadian Flat Track racing gets a lot of coverage on Facebook. These meetings feature the top riders - who are well paid and have motorcycle company sponsorships - and the racing is extremely exciting. Way above what so far we have in Europe at the moment. 

The sad thing is that at the present time there is no meaningful contact between Europe and the formula across the Atlantic. When it does take place the concept could well see, as in the USA and Canada, Flat Track holding domination over speedway - in fact as has happened in both countries superseding speedway,

Flat track has grown substantially in Europe and especially in the UK which has a thriving British championship with some foreign riders featuring at all the rounds. The European Championship has so far built slowly but with some riders now investing more money into the sport I expect that to grow a bit too. The fact that so many star Moto GP riders use flat track for training and that is filtering down to all levels of road racing is helping a great deal in Europe where Road racing is motorcycle racing to the majority.

However I can't see Flat Track here or in mainland Europe getting to draw decent crowds, not even close to Speedway levels here. For that to happen you'd need the road racers to be taking part all season and that just isn't going to be allowed to happen because of the risk of injury. I think it will grow in the respect of more riders but can't see it growing much in spectator attendance.

4 hours ago, gustix said:

American and Canadian Flat Track racing gets a lot of coverage on Facebook. These meetings feature the top riders - who are well paid and have motorcycle company sponsorships - and the racing is extremely exciting. Way above what so far we have in Europe at the moment. 

The sad thing is that at the present time there is no meaningful contact between Europe and the formula across the Atlantic. When it does take place the concept could well see, as in the USA and Canada, Flat Track holding domination over speedway - in fact as has happened in both countries superseding speedway,

I dont see how it will . 1st of all nobody in their right mind would pay to watch it . second  without the speedway tracks there would be nowhere to run it

It all seemed to spring from nowhere in Germany.Was like in Finland I guess used as an added attraction.Then speedway fans basically said if there was going to be extra heats then make them speedway heats.Develope youngsters etc,not give a competing sport a chance.Then it disappeared as quickly as it came.It exists somewhere I guess,but within its own little world,like stock cars or even speedway.

1 hour ago, adonis said:

I dont see how it will . 1st of all nobody in their right mind would pay to watch it . second  without the speedway tracks there would be nowhere to run it

People paid to watch eight riders compete in a 16 lap speedway race at Ipswich so what is the difference with eight riders doing the same in flat track. Perhaps you have not seen the 16 lap final. 

2 hours ago, adonis said:

Flat Track racing's development will come in the UK - as has happened in the USA and Canada - as the main motorcycle manufacturers become increasingly involved. They will have their own riders and ensure there is major publicity for their involvement. It could also see th manufacturers having tracks laid at the already established motorcycle racing venues. Speedway ridiculed 'stock car racing' in 1954 as being a 'five minute wonder.' That's far from the case these days.

4 hours ago, Vince said:

Flat track has grown substantially in Europe and especially in the UK which has a thriving British championship with some foreign riders featuring at all the rounds. The European Championship has so far built slowly but with some riders now investing more money into the sport I expect that to grow a bit too. The fact that so many star Moto GP riders use flat track for training and that is filtering down to all levels of road racing is helping a great deal in Europe where Road racing is motorcycle racing to the majority.

However I can't see Flat Track here or in mainland Europe getting to draw decent crowds, not even close to Speedway levels here. For that to happen you'd need the road racers to be taking part all season and that just isn't going to be allowed to happen because of the risk of injury. I think it will grow in the respect of more riders but can't see it growing much in spectator attendance.

I was speaking with a mate some years ago who was very much in to motorbikes and Motogp racing but knew bugger all about speedway. He thought flat track was pointless as it did not serve purpose training wise to other disciplines. So a bit like speedway...??? Dont have an opinion on that myself.

Also the Superprestigio was growing back then and he just said that the whole Spanish setup was due to MArguez doing it. People wanted to race against him and that was possible...

12 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

People paid to watch eight riders compete in a 16 lap speedway race at Ipswich so what is the difference with eight riders doing the same in flat track. Perhaps you have not seen the 16 lap final. 

yep seen the 16 lapper ,and have seen  flat track ,short track, oval track , dirt track,track track or whatever it's called this week ,  the only comparison between the 2 , both go anticlockwise round a speedway track , I saw a round of the European flat track championship in belgium once .even the locals who are not the biggest speedway fans didn't like it ,

2 hours ago, gustix said:

Flat Track racing's development will come in the UK - as has happened in the USA and Canada - as the main motorcycle manufacturers become increasingly involved. They will have their own riders and ensure there is major publicity for their involvement. It could also see th manufacturers having tracks laid at the already established motorcycle racing venues. Speedway ridiculed 'stock car racing' in 1954 as being a 'five minute wonder.' That's far from the case these days.

a mate of mine helped Peter Boast start  short track uk  , made all the number  boards  and visited various promoters ,  wound up in kings lynn hospital with broken ribs and a punctured lung after getting run over in the first meeting . never rode  short track again ,

Edited by adonis

1 hour ago, adonis said:

yep seen the 16 lapper ,and have seen  flat track ,short track, oval track , dirt track,track track or whatever it's called this week ,  the only comparison between the 2 , both go anticlockwise round a speedway track , I saw a round of the European flat track championship in belgium once .even the locals who are not the biggest speedway fans didn't like it ,

Only flat track action I saw this season was at Forssa during the LT Nordic final. A 1000 meter long gravel track with four bikes doing a 12 lap final heat. Needless to say I used the remaining 11 laps to have a wee before the final heat of LT. :blink:

6 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Only flat track action I saw this season was at Forssa during the LT Nordic final. A 1000 meter long gravel track with four bikes doing a 12 lap final heat. Needless to say I used the remaining 11 laps to have a wee before the final heat of LT. :blink:

The old prostate playing up? :unsure:

I can accept that what we see in the UK and Europe is Flat Track of a low novice standard. But I also see youtube items covering Flat Track in the USA and Canada and it demonstrates some top class riding.

In the UK it's rather like we are matching a poor standard National League speedway match against what is presented in a high class Speedway GP. The UK still has a long way to go before it gets anywhere near what takes place in the USA and Canada. Hopefully one day it will get there.

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

The old prostate playing up? :unsure:

Yes, you know it. :D

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, gustix said:

I can accept that what we see in the UK and Europe is Flat Track of a low novice standard. But I also see youtube items covering Flat Track in the USA and Canada and it demonstrates some top class riding.

In the UK it's rather like we are matching a poor standard National League speedway match against what is presented in a high class Speedway GP. The UK still has a long way to go before it gets anywhere near what takes place in the USA and Canada. Hopefully one day it will get there.

Guess it is like comparing Polish League speedway with British League speedway?The UK still has some way to go to get anywhere near Poland,but maybe we can be positive and hope one day it will?I doubt European Flat Track will ever reach US level.Just not the market imo

In fact I think we have been here before,but looking at this article it admits Flat Track in the US hit the doldrums in the 1990s and is hoping to get a boost(2017)

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/motorcycles/a28103/flat-track-motorcycle-racing/

Edited by iris123