British Speedway Forum
tonyd

Rye House & Lydde

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Iwade is now a fully licensed track complete with an air fence. Kent ran two junior meetings there last season.

Licensed by who? And is the track recognised and endorsed by the BSPA or/and the ACU or/and SCB?

3 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Licensed by who? And is the track recognised and endorsed by the BSPA or/and the ACU or/and SCB?

Yes, the two meetings run there last season were officiated by SCB referees. From memory Mick Bates was one of them. I attended both meetings.

On 1/10/2019 at 7:49 AM, gustix said:

So far as Rye House are concerned, there will/should not be any problems in regard to non-speedway events like Flat Track for example which have their own sanctioning organisations. And I have again heard a mention in regard to a possible Spedeworth Motorsport interest - another non-speedway sanctioning organisation. 

10 hours ago, f-s-p said:

WHO gives a d1ck about flattrack?

These Links may answer your query f-s-p

https://aaa-racing.uk/flat-track.html

http://www.mcfederation.com/news/2019-dirt-track-riders-association-dates

The BSF appears to care as well f-s-p. They have a section for it (classified as Short Track) at

Grasstrack, Sidecar, Short Track and Cycle Speedway

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Yes, the two meetings run there last season were officiated by SCB referees. From memory Mick Bates was one of them. I attended both meetings.

Christina did t other

9 hours ago, cityrebel said:

OK, but Iwade have training days. Are the training days recognised by the BSPA/ACU/SCB or are they run in a similar way to Lydd? It appears that training days and actual meetings are perhaps treated in a different way? I accept that proper insurances should be in place for training days, with medical assistance and proper guidance, not just a free for all. I have a friend who does track days at places like Snetterton and Brands Hatch on his Triumph. As far as I know, the day is the responsibility of whoever is organising the track day, which may not be the track owner.

Who knows, but the powers that be advise riders not to ride on unlicensed tracks. I guess it's down to the individual if they take that advice. I have been to several meetings at Lydd over the years, and it is an excellent set up down there, but without the finances to bring it up to SCB standard. Rye is a different kettle of fish. They have fallen foul of the authorities and are paying the price. Whether this stand off will ever be resolved is another matter.

• Like 2

Adding my 2p worth; riding on an unlicensed track (non ACU / SCB approved) is probably similar to riding around a field; totally you own risk.

A few years ago I was cycliing past a school in Hull when I heard the unmistakable sound of a speedway bike (!).  Rushing to find the source all the while hoping 'please let this be a noise test for a possible new track, please...', I saw a rider ride off the athletics track, through bushes and a gap in the fence, across a road and disappear between terraced houses :o.  I waited a few minutes in case he / she reappeared and, of course, as I carried on my my way, the bike noise started again, I arrived just in time to witness the same track exit as before and noticed quite a few tyre marks on the atheltics surface :rolleyes:.  I waited another few minutes but the bike didn't reappear for 'heat 3', and having places to go I carried on my way.  I made enquires, as you do, but never discovered who the mystery / ghost / commando rider was.  I suspected a known, local would-be sometime amateur rider but he informed me didn't own a bike at that time, I know I didn't imagine or dream it so the mystery remains.  Just thought I'd throw that in.....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

15 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Adding my 2p worth; riding on an unlicensed track (non ACU / SCB approved) is probably similar to riding around a field; totally you own risk.

A few years ago I was cycliing past a school in Hull when I heard the unmistakable sound of a speedway bike (!).  Rushing to find the source all the while hoping 'please let this be a noise test for a possible new track, please...', I saw a rider ride off the athletics track, through bushes and a gap in the fence, across a road and disappear between terraced houses :o.  I waited a few minutes in case he / she reappeared and, of course, as I carried on my my way, the bike noise started again, I arrived just in time to witness the same track exit as before and noticed quite a few tyre marks on the atheltics surface :rolleyes:.  I waited another few minutes but the bike didn't reappear for 'heat 3', and having places to go I carried on my way.  I made enquires, as you do, but never discovered who the mystery / ghost / commando rider was.  I suspected a known, local would-be sometime amateur rider but he informed me didn't own a bike at that time, I know I didn't imagine or dream it so the mystery remains.  Just thought I'd throw that in.....

Perhaps it was a young Tai Woffinden?

Nah, he'd have still been a wee schoolboy in Aussie at the time, don't think he's ever lived in Hull....

Edited by martinmauger
added Hull content
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:49 PM, f-s-p said:

WHO gives a d1ck about flattrack?

Anybody who gives a toss about Speedway should as every time we use a track it's much needed money going into the sport. Rye House for one still has Speedway riders learning their craft there but the track would be closed if it weren't for flat track for sure.

Secondly there is quite a crossover between riders going from one sport to the other, it works both ways.

Thirdly a high percentage of those who go racing flat track end up as spectators at Speedway meetings and many become fans.

Finally it's blokes racing motorbikes which is always good!

• Like 3

On 1/11/2019 at 9:29 PM, gustix said:

These Links may answer your query f-s-p

https://aaa-racing.uk/flat-track.html

http://www.mcfederation.com/news/2019-dirt-track-riders-association-dates

The BSF appears to care as well f-s-p. They have a section for it (classified as Short Track) at

Grasstrack, Sidecar, Short Track and Cycle Speedway

17 minutes ago, Vince said:

Anybody who gives a toss about Speedway should as every time we use a track it's much needed money going into the sport. Rye House for one still has Speedway riders learning their craft there but the track would be closed if it weren't for flat track for sure.

Secondly there is quite a crossover between riders going from one sport to the other, it works both ways.

Thirdly a high percentage of those who go racing flat track end up as spectators at Speedway meetings and many become fans.

IMO you have put the speedway-Flat Track relationship into an excellent perspective Vince. I endorse your comments and for my part look forward to the further development of the formula both in the UK and Europe. Across the Atlantic it has complete dominance in both the USA and Canada as a motorcycle track racing formula in comparison to speedway.

21 hours ago, Vince said:

Though theoretically all your comments are valid, I've not yet seen that happen over here…

Blokes and motorbikes, well I guess thats true. :rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Though theoretically all your comments are valid, I've not yet seen that happen over here

Blokes and motorbikes, well I guess thats true. :rolleyes:

Finland or England?

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

Finland or England?

Here in Finland.

In Finland we had a racing class that translates more or less "Sports machines" (thats not good translation) that was very active lets say until late 90's. It was mx or iceroadracing bikes that had approved tires for the tracks they used. It was a class that was ridden in longtrack meetings as a support class and had enough riders to justify themselves. For some reason with the decline of LT racing itself that class disappeared completely. Until FT was re-invented by Castagna and taken under CCP in the FIM early this decade. I think the first FIM Cup was at Forssa and won by that italian fellow. Anyway, FT in Finland is the same as the old class mentioned, only that U need to use FT tyres homologated by FIM.

So far we've had a few "speedway-quitters" taken on FT but not the other way around. There really arent meetings for this class on speedway tracks, I think there's been one since the class was launched as FT, and they've ridden a few alongside LT.

I have to put my hand up and say I'm a speedway fan and these mx bikes doing circles while bouncing and braking in to corners does not appeal to me  AT ALL. It's boring. But I'm just one, there are over 5M of us more in Finland. :neutral:

:D 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Here in Finland.

In Finland we had a racing class that translates more or less "Sports machines" (thats not good translation) that was very active lets say until late 90's. It was mx or iceroadracing bikes that had approved tires for the tracks they used. It was a class that was ridden in longtrack meetings as a support class and had enough riders to justify themselves. For some reason with the decline of LT racing itself that class disappeared completely. Until FT was re-invented by Castagna and taken under CCP in the FIM early this decade. I think the first FIM Cup was at Forssa and won by that italian fellow. Anyway, FT in Finland is the same as the old class mentioned, only that U need to use FT tyres homologated by FIM.

So far we've had a few "speedway-quitters" taken on FT but not the other way around. There really arent meetings for this class on speedway tracks, I think there's been one since the class was launched as FT, and they've ridden a few alongside LT.

I have to put my hand up and say I'm a speedway fan and these mx bikes doing circles while bouncing and braking in to corners does not appeal to me  AT ALL. It's boring. But I'm just one, there are over 5M of us more in Finland. :neutral:

:D 

American and Canadian Flat Track racing gets a lot of coverage on Facebook. These meetings feature the top riders - who are well paid and have motorcycle company sponsorships - and the racing is extremely exciting. Way above what so far we have in Europe at the moment. 

The sad thing is that at the present time there is no meaningful contact between Europe and the formula across the Atlantic. When it does take place the concept could well see, as in the USA and Canada, Flat Track holding domination over speedway - in fact as has happened in both countries superseding speedway,