British Speedway Forum

Bruce Cribb will be in attendance taking orders for his book ..Cribby's Storybook , with ALL profits via the Ben Fund to permanently disabled UK riders . It was hope the book would have been ready in time but it is about 7-10 days from release ..price is £12 + £3  P+P //Bruce should be found near the entrance and programme booth.

6 hours ago, ProperSport said:

Weather been appalling in Preston today - looks ok in Leicester - hoping to see this on tomorrow :) 

I live about 10 miles south of the stadium, was dry until 6pm then rained pretty heavy til about 9. Dry now & forecast is decent for tomorrow so should be all systems go.

• Like 1

Just been out for a run.

Blue skies but a cold wind in south Leicester 

22 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Who are the currently based U.K. riders (draw cards) who are sitting out this meeting that could have quite easily have ridden?

This meeting is not by invite only, the riders need to let the organisers know that they are available. Any "Star" name that has not done so should hold their heads in shame!

The BEN fund does a great job assisting former riders, some will be @ Leicester in their wheelchairs, it also assist current riders sitting out injuries. It can only do so if WE ALL support it......

P.S. & yes I do my own bit. 

Sad to see the grestest ever british rider who likes to talk isnt riding in this one as for late withdrawals hope for good reasons lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The four Leicester riders in the main field scored well plus the two reserves scored from a few rides. Bodes well for them this year.

Enjoyed the meeting. Well-organised, professionally run and would have finished a lot quicker had certain riders not ploughed through the elastic on a distressing number of occasions early on. I know it’s an early-season one, but some good racing too. Pleased to see some far-flung supporters from Redcar, Berwick, Eastbourne and doubtless other places too. Hope the organisers have raised a hefty sum.

• Like 1

Although I reckon everyone was freezing cold it was a good day and a good meeting best bit of the day - cheering Ricky Ashworth on his 2 laps of the track on a tandem - well done Ricky reckon he deserves a track record mention for that ride.

• Like 3

Guest WTF1

Have to disagree regarding good racing,  just about every race winner was decided by the second bend and passing especially on the outside was nearly impossible,  not a meeting I will remember but hopefully it raised a good amount for the rider's fund. 

11 hours ago, Fourentee said:

Enjoyed the meeting. Well-organised, professionally run and would have finished a lot quicker had certain riders not ploughed through the elastic on a distressing number of occasions early on. I know it’s an early-season one, but some good racing too. Pleased to see some far-flung supporters from Redcar, Berwick, Eastbourne and doubtless other places too. Hope the organisers have raised a hefty sum.

Tell me about it - I binned 100 metres of cotton tape at the end of the meeting. All the riders were told of the new starting procedure in the refs briefing before the meeting started. I guess they are just not good listeners.

17 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

Tell me about it - I binned 100 metres of cotton tape at the end of the meeting. All the riders were told of the new starting procedure in the refs briefing before the meeting started. I guess they are just not good listeners.

What new starting procedure?

3 minutes ago, AntiqueSteve said:

does anyone know why Richard Lawson was not there ?

Presumably Richard Lawson does, if the Ben Fund Organisers were aware they weren’t telling.

As for the meeting itself, after an eternity to get heat 1 concluded it plodded along at a fairly slow pace amid the hail, rain and wind and occasional sun.

The racing was largely processional with very few genuine overtakes although the commentators were trying to convince everyone it was better than it actually was.

A good example of this was Bates who looked a world champion in his first three when he made the gate but missed it totally in heat 16 and was unable to get by Andersen or Perks.

Nicholls, Wright, Bates, Masters and King impressed whilst Morris for all the hype from Wolves fans was a major dissapointment failing to finish a race.

Edited by bigcatdiary