British Speedway Forum

9 minutes ago, Grachan said:

What new starting procedure?

The difference is once you signal to the ref that you are happy, drop you arms but now you don't walk away from the tapes until the ref puts the green light on.

Before you walked as soon as you dropped your hands then the ref put the green light on.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Presumably Richard Lawson does, if the Ben Fund Organisers were aware they weren’t telling.

As for the meeting itself, after an eternity to get heat 1 concluded it plodded along at a fairly slow pace amid the hail, rain and wind and occasional sun.

The racing was largely processional with very few genuine overtakes although the commentators were trying to convince everyone it was better than it actually was.

A good example of this was Bates who looked a world champion in his first three when he made the gate but missed it totally in heat 16 and was unable to get by Andersen or Perks.

Nicholls, Wright, Bates, Masters and King impressed whilst Morris for all the hype from Wolves fans was a major dissapointment failing to finish a race.

Morris was a disappointment but at least he turned up for the meeting, I'm very unimpressed with other riders who dropped out at the last minute, I'm not a Wolves supporter just another  speedway supporter who now has no local team to support.

I wasn't there yesterday, geographical reasons rather than the weather. If you look at some of the previous ben fund line ups, it seems obvious that the 'top' riders have been giving this meeting a miss for years. You might get the odd one turn up, but most can't be bothered. The riders could have a lot to gain and should be supporting such a worthy cause. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Sad to see the grestest ever british rider who likes to talk isnt riding in this one as for late withdrawals hope for good reasons lol

Peter Craven isn't with us any more so who are you talking about (the greatest British rider?)

• Haha 1

Bates only made the gate once. In his first race he moved from third to first on the home straight! I enjoyed this meeting. I was saying before I left the stdium that there will be the usual people sayiny that it was a poor meeting with no passing although there were mayy passes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fourentee said:

Enjoyed the meeting. Well-organised, professionally run and would have finished a lot quicker had certain riders not ploughed through the elastic on a distressing number of occasions early on. I know it’s an early-season one, but some good racing too. Pleased to see some far-flung supporters from Redcar, Berwick, Eastbourne and doubtless other places too. Hope the organisers have raised a hefty sum.

I've never been to Leicester (this one) before, I also enjoyed the meeting. All things considered I think the racing was good, my highlight was seeing Ricky Ashworth on the tandem.

I think the organisers would have been pleased with the sizable crowd, 3 or 4 times the average lions gate ( I'm told).

Congratulations to Scott on his well deserved victory, congratulations to all the riders that took part, just a shame other riders that could have been there were not!...................

2 hours ago, Booey boy said:

Peter Craven isn't with us any more so who are you talking about (the greatest British rider?)

I think he is sarcastically trying to poke fun at the greatest ever British rider in Woffy. 

Tho why anyone would expect a rider who doesn’t race here  anymore to race is pretty odd. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, W9 Lion said:

The difference is once you signal to the ref that you are happy, drop you arms but now you don't walk away from the tapes until the ref puts the green light on.

Before you walked as soon as you dropped your hands then the ref put the green light on.

Is that what it is! That was why the green light was on for what seemed an eternity and why the riders were going through the tapes. Starting marshalls will have to get their trainers on and get moving as soon as the green light comes on, or they'll have to get some younger/ slimmer starting gate people!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stevebrum said:

I think he is sarcastically trying to poke fun at the greatest ever British rider in Woffy. 

Tho why anyone would expect a rider who doesn’t race here  anymore to race is pretty odd. 

Because he's a Brit and maybe he could just make the effort over here for his fans, race instead of talk ... 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, W9 Lion said:

Tell me about it - I binned 100 metres of cotton tape at the end of the meeting. All the riders were told of the new starting procedure in the refs briefing before the meeting started. I guess they are just not good listeners.

What's  the reason for this new starting procedure? Can't think why it should be changed as it's been the same for years and has worked well, although  no doubt it's yet another stupid health and safety rule. 

1 hour ago, Gemini said:

What's  the reason for this new starting procedure? Can't think why it should be changed as it's been the same for years and has worked well, although  no doubt it's yet another stupid health and safety rule. 

It's to slow down green light go starts so I was told.

3 hours ago, Trees said:

Because he's a Brit and maybe he could just make the effort over here for his fans, race instead of talk ... 

woffy was making plenty of effort yesterday to promote, encourage British speedway just not at Leicester maybe you should be asking where lambert was and not tai because tai was doing his bit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, neb said:

woffy was making plenty of effort yesterday to promote, encourage British speedway just not at Leicester maybe you should be asking where lambert was and not tai because tai was doing his bit.

Lambert was testing in Poland

44 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

It's to slow down green light go starts so I was told.

Well it sounds like it's doing that  okay judging by the number of broken tapes yesterday. :D

• Haha 1