British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BFMDan

Speedway Racers - income / lifestyle

You'll have to forgive me, folks; but, as a speedway fan from the US, I have absolutely no idea about the economics of being a speedway racer in UK, Poland, Europe . . .

I watch Speedway GP and it looks like these guys are SUPERSTARS, I watch a few YouTube videos of league racing, and the tracks look like our country-side weekend dirt tracks. I'm confused.

Can anyone put it into comparison with something 'American'?

Are speedway racers (in Europe) living like:

• American movie stars,
  • American professional football/baseball/basketball/NASCAR athletes,
  • American Factory SuperCross racers,
  • American 'Privateer' SuperCross racers,
  • American 'weekend' stockcar racers (basically making NO money off the sport - 98% have regular mon-fri full-time jobs)

Just curious,

Thanks. :)

Dan

Edited by BFMDan
spelling. :(

In lieu of nobody more informed responding I'd say GP riders make a decent living from the sport but nowhere near the earnings of even a standard NBA player. So I'm guessing that the comparison is with a factory supercross racer.

In terms of league racing, they're all effectively Privateer's, signing contracts per season rather than being employees of a club.  They aren't paid during the close season and they finance all their own equipment. Therefore, some have jobs during the winter and some supplement their speedway career with work during the season. 

I hope that's useful and a fair comparison. I'm sure someone more informed will be along shortly.

• Like 2