British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

British League Division Two

When the Second Division was formed back in 1968 the idea was to produce a constant flow of British talent who many would progress and compete in the higher tier. It was a very successful formula in its formative years and I can only think how many riders  who competed at Eastbourne and later turned their talents to Division One,

Dave Jessup, Gordon and David Kennett, Malcolm Ballard, Trevor Geer, Bobby McNeil, Paul Gachet, Neil Middleditch, Roger Johns, Steve Weatherley, Eric Dugard and much later the likes of Martin Dugard, Dean Barker and David Norris when the leagues had drifted very much apart. I do wonder if any other team produced so much talent...Belle Vue and Ipswich probably the obvious choices.

As a supporter of Oxford I got to see many of these riders at Cowley due to our promotional tie up taking part in the old second halves and think myself very lucky that I was able to enjoy watching so much talent. Of course we also got to see many Peterborough riders (Richard Greer and John Davis instantly come to mind amongst others) who went on to ride in Division One.

I do wonder if the demise of the ethic of the old Second Division and later New National League and much later the effect of 'Stewkesbury Plan' began to create the problems British Speedway now faces with the lack of British talent that was once abundant and Britain ruled the world in speedway terms?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Melvin ******* Stewkesbury :angry: I personally hold him 50% responsible for Hackney's demise after he convinced/conned 3 other teams to dump the old National League so his precious team wouldn't step up a league single handed - took what was then a great league and ruined it - it has been been the same since. Not only did the league loose Poole Wimbledon Berwick and Ipswich but Eastbourne closed both Hackney and Milton Keynes were gone within 18 months

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy Downes said:

Melvin ******* Stewkesbury :angry: I personally hold him 50% responsible for Hackney's demise after he convinced/conned 3 other teams to dump the old National League so his precious team wouldn't step up a league single handed - took what was then a great league and ruined it - it has been been the same since. Not only did the league loose Poole Wimbledon Berwick and Ipswich but Eastbourne closed both Hackney and Milton Keynes were gone within 18 months

Yes the late John Berry was always less than complimentary regarding Stewkesbury and his self driven agenda.

On 1/13/2019 at 7:44 AM, steve roberts said:

When the Second Division was formed back in 1968 the idea was to produce a constant flow of British talent who many would progress and compete in the higher tier. It was a very successful formula in its formative years and I can only think how many riders  who competed at Eastbourne and later turned their talents to Division One,

Previous to the happenings of 1968, as far back as 1947 the formation of the National League Division Three was initially much on the same lines. Throughout the 1946-47 there was even a nationally organised training scheme designed to find new riders to back these the new clubs who would form Division Three.

The concept did not last very long. Pre-war riders started to appear in teams designed originally meant for newcomers. A classic example was at Southampton who signed Vic Collins to captain their side. He was a  rider  from their pioneer years in the early 1930s.

Exeter also had a captain with extensive pre-war  experience in both speedway and grass track in Bernard 'Bronco' Slade. Plymouth drafted in the pre-war Hackney and Crystal Palace rider Charlie Challis.

Sadly, the concept of establishing leagues just to ensure a steady flow of new talent for the sport has never really developed in the way it was meant to. And I doubt very much if it ever will.