British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington speedway folds......

Gutted to wake up to the news that the comets won't be coming to the tapes this year. Workington speedway has been a massive part of my life for the past 20 year, iv made some great friends an have some fantastic memories I'll never forget. 

Thank you to everyone who has been associated with workington comets over the last 20 years it's been an absolute blast

• Like 1

I am surprised the chosen few didn't announce it on the Glasgow thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, nagy1 said:

Apparently a Glasgow fan is reported as breaking the news before the official Worky announcement. :nono:

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Tsunami said:

Apparently a Glasgow fan is reported as breaking the news before the official Worky announcement. :nono:

What is good for the goose ........................

A sad day for all associated with Workington speedway.

Hopefully, the BSPA will now have a fresh look at the fixtures for 2019, as one of the major complaints from fans last year was the lack of fixtures and the breaks in continuity this resulted in. There are now potentially less fixtures than last year for some clubs with the league being reduced to 11 clubs again. At the very least the League Cup needs to be revamped into two groups (North and South) with the top two from each group going into  the semi's. 

Or are we going to put the season start date back to May!!!

• Like 1

have to says am absolutely gutted for all you comets supporters out there and secondly for laura and her team.to have owned a club for six years at a great personal cost only to lose it must be soul destroying at best.i will genuinely miss my visits to derwent park and the banter with you supporters.another sad sad loss to our once great sport.how much longer with this set of w......... running the sport will it be before domestic speedway is no more.i now fear for the future existence of the comets what with all the issues surrounding the stadium.championship speedway without workington..........unthinkable!:cry:

• Like 5

I personally have no confidence in the BSPA.

Too many people looking after their own territory rather than the benefit of the Sport.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, leander said:

Hopefully, the BSPA will now have a fresh look at the fixtures for 2019, as one of the major complaints from fans last year was the lack of fixtures and the breaks in continuity this resulted in. There are now potentially less fixtures than last year for some clubs with the league being reduced to 11 clubs again. At the very least the League Cup needs to be revamped into two groups (North and South) with the top two from each group going into  the semi's. 

The problem with that is, season tickets are already on sale, with the amount of fixtures already worked out on the assumption that it will be 3 groups of 4 in the Champ Shield and 11 home league fixtures.  If they divided the Shield to North/South, the clubs would have extra home meetings, not accounted for on the price of a season ticket.  It's bad enough fans have bought a season ticket thinking they were paying for at least 11 home league meetings, rather than the 10 they have now ended up paying for.

Edited by StevePark
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, nagy1 said:

4 hours ago, nagy1 said:

What is good for the goose ........................

Nice to see its pleased someone anyway like eh... less said the better

1 hour ago, leander said:

The fixtures have been sorted at a BSPA meeting last Tuesday and I doubt they will be changing them anytime soon

52 minutes ago, StevePark said:

The problem with that is, season tickets are already on sale, with the amount of fixtures already worked out on the assumption that it will be 3 groups of 4 in the Champ Shield and 11 home league fixtures.  If they divided the Shield to North/South, the clubs would have extra home meetings, not accounted for on the price of a season ticket.  It's bad enough fans have bought a season ticket thinking they were paying for at least 11 home league meetings, rather than the 10 they have now ended up paying for.

Totally correct

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

That's three clubs gone in two years....

Does anyone within the organisation really believe the business plan and operating model it implements is any way shape or form fit for purpose?

Best wishes to Worky, but let's be honest, maybe only 400 or so 'die hards' will feel an emptiness..

And you simply cannot pay out 7 of the salaries that riders now expect twice a week based on only a few hundred regulars. 

Who is next?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

That's three clubs gone in two years....

Does anyone within the organisation really believe the business plan and operating model it implements is any way shape or form fit for purpose?

Best wishes to Worky, but let's be honest, maybe only 400 or so 'die hards' will feel an emptiness..

And you simply cannot pay out 7 of the salaries that riders now expect twice a week based on only a few hundred regulars. 

Who is next?

Buster  Chapman seems to think so

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Berwick, Glasgow and Edinburgh supporters would have bought season tickets on the basis of 11 league fixtures + 3 league cup =14. now it's 10 + 2. they lose out on two fixtures. At the most it's only 1 extra fixture. 10 league + 5 league cup = 15. If you are in the league cup group of five then it's no different ( 10 + 4). It solves the problem of the best placed runner-up qualifying, particularly as now the groups are uneven meaning percentages could come into play giving an advantage to the group of three.

• Like 1

Sad day for the Speedway community and I can't see an upturn in it's fortunes anytime soon , despite the resentment shown towards my club by some on here I really have sympathy for all concerned at Workington especially the supporters like Taylor j , Scarramanga and Jenga to name a few who were basking in Glory not so long ago after a magnificent season only to have this bombshell dropped on them.

The riders who would have spent in preparation now need another gig somewhere no easy task and will be relying on openings arising elsewhere, I really hope the Comets can rise again and I am really saddened by this news.

Best of luck in trying to resurrect the club, while there is life there is always the hope they will return.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Sad day for the Speedway community and I can't see an upturn in it's fortunes anytime soon , despite the resentment shown towards my club by some on here I really have sympathy for all concerned at Workington especially the supporters like Taylor j , Scarramanga and Jenga to name a few who were basking in Glory not so long ago after a magnificent season only to have this bombshell dropped on them.

The riders who would have spent in preparation now need another gig somewhere no easy task and will be relying on openings arising elsewhere, I really hope the Comets can rise again and I am really saddened by this news.

Best of luck in trying to resurrect the club, while there is life there is always the hope they will return.

very kind words from you gazc . its in times like this that we all forget our guns and bring out a football and have some common . 

• Like 2