British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington speedway folds......

Very sad to see this happen on the cusp of the season just about, it is bad enough clubs saying they don't know if they are running before the AGM but to have the team in place and supporters hyped up, season tickets on sale etc.

I hope Workington can get back on track in 2020 and beyond, however I feel these will not be the only victim of closure sadly.

Always enjoyed the speedway at Workington in the past not always my own teams result. 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:41 PM, mikebv said:

That's three clubs gone in two years....

Does anyone within the organisation really believe the business plan and operating model it implements is any way shape or form fit for purpose?

Best wishes to Worky, but let's be honest, maybe only 400 or so 'die hards' will feel an emptiness..

And you simply cannot pay out 7 of the salaries that riders now expect twice a week based on only a few hundred regulars. 

Who is next?

I'm not a diehard, but I am gutted about the Comets closing.

I live about 150 miles away from Workington and attended more meetings because of my friendship with announcer Dave Hoggart. I went about every other Saturday, and that consisted of travelling over to Dave's and then a superb run over the North Pennines and the Lake District (this included much debate, laughing and piss taking :D) . Into the Henry Bessemer for a pint or 3 and a huge mixed grill, then on to the track. The racing was usually pretty good and then there was another pint and a natter with the locals in the bar afterwards.

It was almost always a belter of day and while it was usually £50 a pop, I'll miss it hugely. 

• Like 7

On 1/14/2019 at 6:41 PM, mikebv said:

That's three clubs gone in two years....

Does anyone within the organisation really believe the business plan and operating model it implements is any way shape or form fit for purpose?

Best wishes to Worky, but let's be honest, maybe only 400 or so 'die hards' will feel an emptiness..

And you simply cannot pay out 7 of the salaries that riders now expect twice a week based on only a few hundred regulars. 

Who is next?

Have said many times i drive a coach and am allways going on about my " comets" if only half the people who say i used to go turned up one night u wouldnt get them in derwent park , there will be alot more than the dirhards who are going to miss the action 

3 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I'm not a diehard, but I am gutted about the Comets closing.

I live about 150 miles away from Workington and attended more meetings because of my friendship with announcer Dave Hoggart. I went about every other Saturday, and that consisted of travelling over to Dave's and then a superb run over the North Pennines and the Lake District (this included much debate, laughing and piss taking :D) . Into the Henry Bessemer for a pint or 3 and a huge mixed grill, then on to the track. The racing was usually pretty good and then there was another pint and a natter with the locals in the bar afterwards.

It was almost always a belter of day and while it was usually £50 a pop, I'll miss it hugely. 

We havnt heard from dave would love to know his thoughts !

On 1/14/2019 at 6:47 PM, wealdstone said:

Buster  Chapman seems to think so

He is flying back from New Zealand on a Dreamliner. The perfect vehicle for him. Back to his UK dreamland. 

• Sad 1

Hope Busters not in a Dreamlike with the Rolls Royce engines, as they are so bad they have to fly within a certain range of a landing strip, Buster and engines seem to have a bad relationship

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

You could always swap it for Whitley Bay ?

It's bloody freezing at the moment, every day, all day. :D

21 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

It's bloody freezing at the moment, every day, all day. :D

Well you shouldn't be so fresh :o;)