British Speedway Forum
britmet

Newport & Nelson: Help Wanted, - 1968 BSL.

A sidecar speedway league, the 'British Sidecar Lge', was formed in 1968 comprising the 5 Mike Parker tracks of Wolves, Newport, Newcastle, Nelson and Crayford.
Teams comprised 5-man squads and the league ran between June and August as a 2nd-Half event , - many of the September fixtures apparently went uncompleted.

I'm still looking for the following match dates and/or results, if anyone with 1968 programmes can oblige:
- Result of the Wolves v. Newport match of July 19th (followed the Wolves v. Glasgow solo match.)
- Fixture dates & results of any/all 4 Newport home matches, (excl'g the S.Wales v. Midlands challenge match of May 3rd, - result to hand.)
- Fixture date & result of Nelson v. Newcastle match.

n.b: It's possible the latter were not staged: a programme search that can confirm this would be equally valid.

http://www.speedwaychampions.com/sidecar-champions.php

Edited by britmet

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:22 AM, britmet said:

A sidecar speedway league, the 'British Sidecar Lge', was formed in 1968 comprising the 5 Mike Parker tracks of Wolves, Newport, Newcastle, Nelson and Crayford.
Teams comprised 5-man squads and the league ran between June and August as a 2nd-Half event , - many of the September fixtures apparently went uncompleted.

I'm still looking for the following match dates and/or results, if anyone with 1968 programmes can oblige:
- Result of the Wolves v. Newport match of July 19th (followed the Wolves v. Glasgow solo match.)

Wolves 37 Newport 11

Ht 1: Crisp 2 Pinfold 3 Price 0 Paskin 1 80.4 5-1 5-1
Ht 2: Artus 3 Hancocks 2 Candlin 1 Cerleck 0 79.4 5-1 10-2
Ht 3: Crisp 1 Bache 3 Price 2 Hook 0 82.6 4-2 14-4
Ht 4: Pinfold 3 Hancocks 1 Paskin 2 Cerleck 0 81.0 4-2 18-6
Ht 5: Artus 3 Bache 2 Candlin 1 Hook 0 80.4 5-1 23-7
Ht 6: Crisp 1 Hancocks 3 Price 2 Hook (replaced Cerleck) 0 82.6 4-2 27-9
Ht 7: Pinfold 3 Artus 2 Paskin 1 Candlin 0 79.0 5-1 32-10
Ht 8: (Nominated) Pinfold 3 Artus 2 Paskin 0 Price 1 77.0 5-1 37-11

Wolves
Lawson Crisp 2' 1 1     4+1
Paul Pinfold 3 3 3 3    12
Alan Artus 3 3 2' 2'      10 +2
Graham Hancocks 2' 1 3   6+1
Stan Bache 3 2'   5+1

Newport
R Price 0 2 2 1    5
Paskin (replaced B Turnell) 1 2 1 0   4
Mervyn Candlin (replaced D Adams) 1 1 0   2
Cerleck (sp?) replaced R Bodenham)  0 0   0
Hook (replaced K Roberts) 0 0 0   0

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:22 AM, britmet said:

- Fixture dates & results of any/all 4 Newport home matches, (excl'g the S.Wales v. Midlands challenge match of May 3rd, - result to hand.)
- Fixture date & result of Nelson v. Newcastle match.

n.b: It's possible the latter were not staged: a programme search that can confirm this would be equally valid.

http://www.speedwaychampions.com/sidecar-champions.php

In his Newport programme notes for the meeting on 12th July, Bill Bridgett provided news of a forthcoming sidecar attraction,  a league match against Nelson.  The notes indicated that this would be Newport's first home fixture in the new league and it would take place in the second half of the meeting on 26th July.  However, the programme for 26th July did not include sidecars and I have found no further reference to sidecar events in subsequent Newport programmes in 1968.

Bill Bridgett, more commonly associated with Wolverhampton, prepared the programme notes for 26th July following the tragic death of Eddie Glennon in a car crash on his way home from the previous week's Great Britain v Soviet Union test match at Somerton Park.

Thanks again, you're affirming what others are telling me they're finding, - or rather, not finding.  (Ditto Newcastle.) I've added that date to the Fixture table.
Maybe Glennon had the task of organizing the sidecar matches and the whole project died with him. 

www.speedwaychampions.com 
www.speedway-sa.com

45 minutes ago, britmet said:

Thanks again, you're affirming what others are telling me they're finding, - or rather, not finding.  (Ditto Newcastle.) I've added that date to the Fixture table.
Maybe Glennon had the task of organizing the sidecar matches and the whole project died with him. 

www.speedwaychampions.com 
www.speedway-sa.com

I can find no reference to sidecar matches in Newcastle 1968 programmes either, which makes me wonder if Bill Bridgett was the driving force, particularly taking into account his grass track connections.