British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Exeter 1945

The official history records indicate there was no speedway at Exeter between the early 1930s (circa 1934?) and 1947. However I have been told there was an Exeter meeting staged in 1945 featuring leading international riders and that it was promoted by Bernard 'Bronco' Slade. Is this fact or fiction - or was it actually a local grass track meeting?

Depends which Exeter you are talking about.....County Ground = No, Alphington = Yes (I have a couple of programmes from that year) and Exwick = yes.

I find no reference to "Bronco" Slade in the Alphington programmes.

54 minutes ago, andout said:

Depends which Exeter you are talking about.....County Ground = No, Alphington = Yes (I have a couple of programmes from that year) and Exwick = yes.

I find no reference to "Bronco" Slade in the Alphington programmes.

I think the 1945 meeting 'Bronco' Slade was involved with was at 

EXETER Exwick Fields                  (single event 21 05 45)

2 hours ago, gustix said:

There are details of the Exwick meeting on the Speedway Researcher website, with a comment that the track surface was grass and sawdust.  There was a report on the event in the Western Morning News the following day, where it was stated that the meeting proceeds went to a fund for the new St John Ambulance Brigade headquarters.  Bronco Slade won heat 5 of the Sheriff's Scratch Race and also won heat 3 of the South-Western Championship, but was unplaced in both finals.  It was reported in the Devon & Exeter Gazette on the following Friday that 5,000 spectators attended.

Edited by Ruth Reddy

On 1/14/2019 at 9:44 PM, gustix said:

On 1/14/2019 at 11:42 PM, Ruth Reddy said:

There are details of the Exwick meeting on the Speedway Researcher website, with a comment that the track surface was grass and sawdust.  There was a report on the event in the Western Morning News the following day, where it was stated that the meeting proceeds went to a fund for the new St John Ambulance Brigade headquarters.  Bronco Slade won heat 5 of the Sheriff's Scratch Race and also won heat 3 of the South-Western Championship, but was unplaced in both finals.  It was reported in the Devon & Exeter Gazette on the following Friday that 5,000 spectators attended.

These are more details of the Exwick meeting thanks - as always! - to Speedway Researcher.

http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/exeterexwick1945.pdf