British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Norway

Christer was my second favourite Hammer, Mr. Excitement mk.2

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Christer was my second favourite Hammer, Mr. Excitement mk.2

Me too. Christer was second only to Sverre for heart-stopping excitement. 

Christer had to be one of the most exciting riders that i ever see ride i can remember him getting the track record at the Abbey.Sverre i never see him ride at his best but without injury he is in a group alongside Graham Warren ( ect) that were good anough to be World Champ.

52 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Christer had to be one of the most exciting riders that i ever see ride i can remember him getting the track record at the Abbey.Sverre i never see him ride at his best but without injury he is in a group alongside Graham Warren ( ect) that were good anough to be World Champ.

Much as I was a fan of Christer at West Ham week in and week out, I don't think he was quite in the World Champ category, Sidney. Sverre, yes, Christer, no.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, norbold said:

Much as I was a fan of Christer at West Ham week in and week out, I don't think he was quite in the World Champ category, Sidney. Sverre, yes, Christer, no.

Agree totally about Christer, Bengt Banger Jansson would have to be considered one around 69/71 ?? Gote Nordin was classy and Toby Harrysson ( like Sverre injury) both World class.

36 minutes ago, norbold said:

I saw Christer on a few occasions...last time riding for Hackney against 'The Rebels' in 1975 when he registered 13 points. He was one ride away from being World Champion in 1972 at Wembley when he ran a last in one of his rides.

5 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Agree totally about Christer, Bengt Banger Jansson would have to be considered one around 69/71 ?? Gote Nordin was classy and Toby Harrysson ( like Sverre injury) both World class.

I was never a great fan of Banger, though I wouldn't argue with the fact that it wouldn't have been a great surprise had he won the World Championship, he was certainly in the mix. Second in 1967 and third in 1971 is proof of that. On the other hand, I was always a great admirer of Gote Nordin and certainly think he had what it took to be World Champion. He was, of course, around in the era of the Big Five, but I believe he was their equal and, indeed, just before the handicapping nonsense came to an end, it was proposed he should join Fundin, Briggs and Knutson on 20 yards. Toby, yes, didn't see an awful lot of him, but,as you say, I think he could have been a great but for injury.

• Like 1

At the time Nordin was widely regarded as the best rider never to have won the title. I was a huge fan.

• Like 1

We have rather gone off topic...perhaps I should re-title as "Your favourite Swede"

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2019 at 3:51 PM, customhouseregular said:

We have rather gone off topic...perhaps I should re-title as "Your favourite Swede"

It's easy to go off topic, when talking about such great riders!

• Like 2