British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Norway

Go back 50+ years and Norway was producing more quality riders than Denmark.

When did the decline begin and why?. Could theynever produce another Sverre Harrfeldt?

• Like 1

Just now, customhouseregular said:

When did the decline begin and why?. Could theynever produce another Sverre Harrfeldt?

ever not never

Speedway and long track very much in decline. I remember the great Basse Hveem who signed for West Ham in 1953. He was the first rider to lap that track at more then 50mph. 

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

Speedway and long track very much in decline. I remember the great Base Hveem who signed for West Ham in 1953. He was the first rider to lap that track at more then 50mph. 

The forerunner to Sverre, Eide, Lovaas, Fossengen et al

2 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

Yes I well remember the combined Norway/Denmark team of 1972 & 73...formulated to include Denmark's one classy rider at the time Ole Olsen.

20 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes I well remember the combined Norway/Denmark team of 1972 & 73...formulated to include Denmark's one classy rider at the time Ole Olsen.

Yes...me too.

43 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Yes...me too.

However I do remember Preben Rosenkilde who rode for a short while at Oxford in 1972 (as a replacement for the ill-fated Svein Kaasa) on the recommendation of Garry Middleton. He had also ridden for Halifax and West Ham and later  turned up at Newport in 1976 but didn't remain long. Was more accomplished on longtracks I seem to recall.

Edited by steve roberts

21 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Denmark actually beat Norway in both the 1971 & 1972 Scandinavian quali for the WTC

32 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Denmark actually beat Norway in both the 1971 & 1972 Scandinavian quali for the WTC

That quite surprises me...didn't know that. Can you recall who was riding for Denmark? I remember Kurt Bogh and Bent Norgaard(?) but am struggling with names. Norway, on the other hand, had many useful riders during that era.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

However I do remember Preben Rosenkilde who rode for a short while at Oxford in 1972 (as a replacement for the ill-fated Svein Kaasa) on the recommendation of Garry Middleton. He had also ridden for Halifax and West Ham and later  turned up at Newport in 1976 but didn't remain long. Was more accomplished on longtracks I seem to recall.

As a kid, i saw Rosenkilde beat Olsen at West Ham in 1971. A memorable moment for me. I never saw Harrfeldt at his best, although he was still decent riding for Wembley. I've got Rosenkilde's original no.2 Hammers race jacket in my collection. One of my more treasured items.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

As a kid, i saw Rosenkilde beat Olsen at West Ham in 1971. A memorable moment for me. I never saw Harrfeldt at his best, although he was still decent riding for Wembley. I've got Rosenkilde's original no.2 Hammers race jacket in my collection. One of my more treasured items.

It was rumoured that Harrfeldt was to sign for 'The Rebels' in 1974 but it never materialised. Would have enjoyed watching him but it was not to be.

I suppose my memories of Preben Rosenkilde and Bent Norregard at West Ham are a bit coloured by comparison with the great Sverre Harrfeldt at his imperial best sweeping round the boards, beating all-comers at Custom House. I think for sheer spectacle and excitement he was the best rider I've ever seen. Quite apart from the dash and exhilaration he showed, he could mix it with the best - riders of the calibre of Briggo and Fundin, as his second place in the 1966 World Championship showed. I'm afraid the memory of Rosenkilde  and Norregard pale in comparison.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, norbold said:

I suppose my memories of Preben Rosenkilde and Bent Norregard at West Ham are a bit coloured by comparison with the great Sverre Harrfeldt at his imperial best sweeping round the boards, beating all-comers at Custom House. I think for sheer spectacle and excitement he was the best rider I've ever seen. Quite apart from the dash and exhilaration he showed, he could mix it with the best - riders of the calibre of Briggo and Fundin, as his second place in the 1966 World Championship showed. I'm afraid the memory of Rosenkilde  and Norregard pale in comparison.

Right on every count Norbold. Sverre was pure excitement.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Right on every count Norbold. Sverre was pure excitement.

It's all about era's though isn't it. I never went to West Ham until 1970, for me Christer Lofqvist was Mr. Excitement!