British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gustix

Speedway sidecars struggle

It has always been a surprise to me that sidecar racing has never made a bigger impact on the British speedway scene. 

A basic reason is obviously a lack of tracks suitable for the class. My main memories of sidecars trying to make an inroad on the British speedway scene are the latest 1950s when then Belle Vue supremo Johnnie Hoskins gave them exitensive bookings on the much-loved old Hyde Road track.

Nowadays there is a sidecar speedway championship but even that overall attracts little publicity. And with the use of that word 'publicity' I pose the question: what SPEEDWAY sidecar racing is planned for the 2019 season?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I loved seeing them on the Island

I spent many happy hours on the Island, as well as at Somerset and many other circuits (King's Lynn left a lasting impression, but for all the wrong reasons). Gillman was another favourite, but that's a whole other hemisphere.

The sport has seen a small resurgence in the last year or two but solo fans never seem to take a real shine to it. And I don't know why. Ironically, you'll see at least as much overtaking despite the relative size of the outfits. Imagine four outfits across the start line at Plymouth and then what might ensue when the tapes rise. Well I don't have to, I've been there. And jolly good racing it was. Compare that with the old Exeter track which I managed to race once, the year before it closed.

Yes sidecars have a lot to offer and all that despite being amateur. Go and see a meeting if you get the chance, it's exciting (trust me, I could have been a doctor!)

Edited by False dawn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One would think with the length of time it takes to run a league meeting they would have time to throw in 8 sidecars, I mean, really it takes over 2 hours for 15 heats! That is a absolute joke... 

• Like 1

Its certainly strange as on the Grasstrack scene it could be argued that sidecars are the spectator favourite (if not its certainly a healthy chunk). Sadly the power the chairs put down prohibits including them within main meetings due to the ruts the dig out and likewise i think this is why some clubs are against having them.

Its also because having a selection of riders turn up for free or even pay for the privilege plus a good sized paying crowd terrifies promoters as they question the whole business model they work to with current solos.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Its certainly strange as on the Grasstrack scene it could be argued that sidecars are the spectator favourite (if not its certainly a healthy chunk). Sadly the power the chairs put down prohibits including them within main meetings due to the ruts the dig out and likewise i think this is why some clubs are against having them.

Its also because having a selection of riders turn up for free or even pay for the privilege plus a good sized paying crowd terrifies promoters as they question the whole business model they work to with current solos.

I think there is much valid comment in what you say Sings4Speedway. Besides sidecars another closely aligned formula speedway bosses shy away from other  midget cars. I have seen a lot of youtube Posts in regard to the midgets from USA, Australia, New Zealand and Argentina. And as with sidecars they provide Spectacle (with a capital S!!!).

Is there as yet a schedule for sidecars racing at UK speedways in the 2019 season?

In New Zealand the sidecar classes have eclipsed the Solos for participation and because of that provide by far the best action, entertainment and excitement.

I still love the bikes and enjoy them racing more than the sidecars but the NZ Solo GP on Saturday in Christchurch provides an illustration. There were only eight entries from the entire country for the second most prestigious meeting of the year. While there were 14 local sidecar combinations in the support class.

I think the average age on the sidecars is reasonably grey haired so people can participate and win for longer.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

how about the 500 sidecars, not the 1000's?

12 hours ago, stevehone said:

how about the 500 sidecars, not the 1000's?

The 500 chairs would do certainly take out the element of too much power (although i believe they are allowed up to 650cc) however sadly they don't offer the different spectacle that the 1000 sidecars bring. With the right group of competitors the racing can be good but ultimately they will look slow and predicable compared to solos on shale. The lure of the 1000 chairs is that it is something completely different but on the same track surface.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:53 PM, gustix said:

Here is an interesting Link with circa late 1920s images of pioneer sidecar racing in Britain.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/sidecarracing.html

This should be of interst to you ,gusters karts.png.784832db4a1263a6343a8bb28411252e.png

karts 2.png

kat 2.jpg

kat 1.jpg