British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hyderd

those were the days, something to smile about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sadly there is only an audio version of the momentous race off for the Ko cup between these two at Hyde road....16 passes in 4 laps !!!

What a great race thanks for posting that.

can you imagine Nige and Kelvin commentating on that good old Nigel’s head would explode.

• Like 1

Great clip from a time when we had proper promoters who relied on speedway for their living, not fans with big egos who could/can offset speedway losses through their another business. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad I was involved during that period.

• Like 2

Good race, but you can still see that today, even in those days you had your follow the leader races. Look at some of the races in the present GP series they are just as good. But time marches on some for the good and some not so good.

It’s a great race, but those sort of races still happen today. Just not in front of massive crowds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevebrum said:

It’s a great race, but those sort of races still happen today. Just not in front of massive crowds.

This is speedway's  great mystery . If the racing is better today than was then why are  people not packing the stadiums to watch it like they used to do ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

This is speedway's  great mystery . If the racing is better today than was then why are  people not packing the stadiums to watch it like they used to do ?

It's called the digital age. Most outdoor sports have suffered from the 'sit on your backside' multi billion dollar technology and gaming industry...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think the racing today is necessarily any better or worse than I have watched since the 1950's. In my opinion the racing at the NSS is as good as it was at Hyde Road. Good racing is produced at UK tracks like Peterborough, Somerset and Scunthorpe and also abroad, in the GP's and the Polish leagues. However, what has changed is that the bikes today are not as well suited to many of the tracks in the UK and that, together with other factors, such as track preparation and the quality of shale used, has resulted in an overall poorer standard of racing. I have witnessed it and many have commented on  the poorer quality of racing now on offer at once great racing tracks like King's Lynn and Sheffield and the standard at Wolverhampton, a good little technical track, is not what it was even 7 or 8 years ago.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, iwright71 said:

The racing isn’t better, it’s just as good. A good speedway race is a good speedway race irregardless of what year or era it was.

Its the million dollar question why stadiums aren’t packed out anymore, and there are probably as many reasons why.

Speedway just loss mass appeal and its shot itself in the foot repeatedly for years since trying to find the answers.

• Like 2

Because people have wised up to standing around in the rain at a dunghole venue for two hours to see half an hours of entertainment. 

16 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Good race, but you can still see that today, even in those days you had your follow the leader races. Look at some of the races in the present GP series they are just as good. But time marches on some for the good and some not so good.

The GP series has moved on though at the expense of British speedway.!!

• Like 3