British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hyderd

those were the days, something to smile about.

Yeah I have been reminiscing over the old Speedway days I have had the DVD's out, mainly 90s stuff when Speedway was worth going to watch. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, Aces51 said:

I don't think the racing today is necessarily any better or worse than I have watched since the 1950's. In my opinion the racing at the NSS is as good as it was at Hyde Road. Good racing is produced at UK tracks like Peterborough, Somerset and Scunthorpe and also abroad, in the GP's and the Polish leagues. However, what has changed is that the bikes today are not as well suited to many of the tracks in the UK and that, together with other factors, such as track preparation and the quality of shale used, has resulted in an overall poorer standard of racing. I have witnessed it and many have commented on  the poorer quality of racing now on offer at once great racing tracks like King's Lynn and Sheffield and the standard at Wolverhampton, a good little technical track, is not what it was even 7 or 8 years ago.

Spot on post. Unfortunately this is the elephant in the room with speedway that nobody must talk about.. Most speedway matches you watch these days are not great. Take the matches on TV this year, how many classics have you seen from Leicester , Swindon , Kings Lynn, Wolverhampton or Poole last year ? This is the reason the fans are not turning up anymore

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iwright71 said:

Spot on post. Unfortunately this is the elephant in the room with speedway that nobody must talk about.. Most speedway matches you watch these days are not great. Take the matches on TV this year, how many classics have you seen from Leicester , Swindon , Kings Lynn, Wolverhampton or Poole last year ? This is the reason the fans are not turning up anymore

Not the only reason. There’s simply more on offer these days. There were only 3 TV channels in 1973, now there are hundreds, along with Netflix etc. Many kids would rather stay at home gaming. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shadders said:

Not the only reason. There’s simply more on offer these days. There were only 3 TV channels in 1973, now there are hundreds, along with Netflix etc. Many kids would rather stay at home gaming. 

Quite right. Add in that the element of anticipation has gone from the current society, everything is available instantly now, no need to wait excitedly all week praying the weather forecast is wrong and the match will go ahead.

4 hours ago, Shadders said:

That's a cop out. More money is being spent on watching live sport than anytime in history. Most  sports our flourishing ,  The reason speedway is not is not because of society.

15 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

That's a cop out. More money is being spent on watching live sport than anytime in history. Most  sports our flourishing ,  The reason speedway is not is not because of society.

Isn't that because you have to pay to watch it on tv now.That could be the reason more money is being spent on watching live sport.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tellboy said:

Isn't that because you have to pay to watch it on tv now.That could be the reason more money is being spent on watching live sport.

I dare say that's why every day at this years Ashes will be sold out at 100 pound a pop because alternatively  you have to pay to watch it on Sky or those who went to every sold out session of this years World Championship darts don't have Sky. Most sports fans watch live sport and have Sky , BT. If Satellite TV is a cost issue why are fans not flocking to watch speedway live ? 

2 hours ago, iwright71 said:

I dare say that's why every day at this years Ashes will be sold out at 100 pound a pop because alternatively  you have to pay to watch it on Sky or those who went to every sold out session of this years World Championship darts don't have Sky. Most sports fans watch live sport and have Sky , BT. If Satellite TV is a cost issue why are fans not flocking to watch speedway live ? 

I was merely pointing out more money is being spent on watching live sport because people still go to events and have satellite TV. And the ones that don't go to watch football etc live may still have pay TV at home. People will always fill the stadiums for the Ashes, football, formula 1 etc. They always have. But back in the day the only money being spent to watch live sport was by actually going. But now they have the addition of money being spent on live sport by subscribing to Sky, Virgin, BT etc. 

This is all about context - this is a good race because of what depended on it, England winning an international.

A race like this, a good chase and 1 pass, should be pretty much a minmum for most heats at all tracks.  It's not, and that's mainly (but not exclusively) because the tracks are no good.

This is nothing compared to the classic at the NSS last year.

It was a great race...but generally the races in the 70's weren't any better than today...today's GP's are generally better racing wise than most meetings back then...I lived 70's speedway and went every week at Hyde Road and quite a few away matches....I was probably spoiled a bit with Collins and Morton but I can remember some terrible strung out follow the leader meetings if I'm honest...today's meetings cannot match the crowds and atmosphere of back then but it can definitely match and better  the racing in many cases and definitely can at GP and world level

• Like 3

Yes today's racing at various tracks do produce as good and sometimes better racing than the era the clip is from, however back then there was more and I'm pleased that I had the pleasure to live through it.

• Thanks 2

For me it was never the quality of the racing - it was the experience and everything that went with it.  Although people rave about the NSS, I can't abode having to walk through a car park, miles around and up a steep grassy bank, greeted by one overpriced catering van and some portaloos and have to stay there all meeting.

Now we have robots who appear, ride around and f off, all to the background of some person mumbling along between someone's music collection whilst you stand around doing nothing apart from occasionally visit a filthy hole called toilets.  It's now an experience only real enthusiasts bother with.

Peoples' expectations, mine included, have moved on but speedway as a live event has not (Cardiff excepted). 

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

For me it was never the quality of the racing - it was the experience and everything that went with it.  Although people rave about the NSS, I can't abode having to walk through a car park, miles around and up a steep grassy bank, greeted by one overpriced catering van and some portaloos and have to stay there all meeting.

Now we have robots who appear, ride around and f off, all to the background of some person mumbling along between someone's music collection whilst you stand around doing nothing apart from occasionally visit a filthy hole called toilets.  It's now an experience only real enthusiasts bother with.

Peoples' expectations, mine included, have moved on but speedway as a live event has not (Cardiff excepted). 

46 minutes ago, ouch said:

You should try the NSS. 

????????????

On 1/24/2019 at 6:23 AM, Shadders said:

The major programmes had millions watching them too. Wasn't the choice back then so those programmes like Coronation Street have also suffered with diminished viewing figures over time.