British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hyderd

those were the days, something to smile about.

2 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

The major programmes had millions watching them too. Wasn't the choice back then so those programmes like Coronation Street have also suffered with diminished viewing figures over time.

Yeah, over 18 million watched the 1985 World Snooker final!! (It was exciting though)

3 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

????????????

I’m the same, can’t work out why more fans don’t visit the NSS on a regular basis. 

I’ll start off chewing the fat in the Craven suit before going round to the south stand for a mooch about. Viewing is great over there and you really feel close to the action. The same can be said of the main stand, if I’m in there I have a gander at the pits early on then take my seat near the start though I do like wandering over to bend four as there’s some terrific moves to see there. 

Can’t wait till March. 

Does anyone remember Rye house in the early 60's?. We stood right up against the fence on the first bend and ducked down as the riders went past to avoid a face full of dirt. Magic!.

I remember going to Scunny for the winter meeting and standing between the tapes and first bend wondering why nobody was standing by me. Heat 1 tapes up and 3 seconds later I could have auditioned for the black and white minstrels

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

Does anyone remember Rye house in the early 60's?. We stood right up against the fence on the first bend and ducked down as the riders went past to avoid a face full of dirt. Magic!.

Not Rye House, but I remember going to Poole in the late 50's and the fence was made from old air raid shelters, solid steel sheets, and you bought a pair of "gas goggles" as you went in, and ducked like you said when the bikes came round, went home looking like a black and white minstrel character it was not shale in those days. the fence is still there only it is the outside of the dog track now, those were the days.

• Like 1

There used to be a guy at Hull, Boulevard who wore goggles and stood right up against the fence on turns 1 & 2.   You could do that in those days, if it were your bag, no 2 metre safety zone.  My Nana lived just around the corner from the Boulevard and I popped in to see her on Wednesday nights, she often told me many times how "you dad and aunties and uncles would be black from the speedway (Hull Angels 1948 / 49) on a Saturday night covered head to foot in cinders, they looked just like crows"....

Edited by martinmauger
added vintage cinder content (!)

18 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

There used to be a guy at Hull, Boulevard who wore goggles and stood right up against the fence on turns 1 & 2.   You could do that in those days, if it were your bag, no 2 metre safety zone.  My Nana lived just around the corner from the Boulevard and I popped in to see her on Wednesday nights, she often told me many times how "you dad and aunties and uncles would be black from the speedway (Hull Angels 1948 / 49) on a Saturday night covered head to foot in cinders, they looked just like crows"....

I well remember visiting the boulevard, believe the particular meeting Hull Vikings  V   Peterborough Panthers was in 1972 and what really stood out all those years ago was the heat 2 pre race spectacle as the riders were lined up at the tapes , Panthers team manager Alec Ford noticed that the 2 Vikings reserves  Glynn Facey  and his brother I presume Clarke Facey were on the wrong gates , Ford sprinted across the centre green from the stand side to intervene and the Vikings team manager at the time Colin Tucker chased after him and eventually bringing Ford down with a rugby tackle . All this to no avail as the referee did spot it before the tapes went up anyway

On 1/24/2019 at 6:23 AM, Shadders said:

Not the only reason. There’s simply more on offer these days. There were only 3 TV channels in 1973, now there are hundreds, along with Netflix etc. Many kids would rather stay at home gaming. 

Not only kids shads.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:07 PM, hrhbig said:

Not Rye House, but I remember going to Poole in the late 50's and the fence was made from old air raid shelters, solid steel sheets, and you bought a pair of "gas goggles" as you went in, and ducked like you said when the bikes came round, went home looking like a black and white minstrel character it was not shale in those days. the fence is still there only it is the outside of the dog track now, those were the days.

I remember getting seriously filled in at my first visits to Romford and Exeter. A painful experience that has never been forgotten.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:43 PM, SPEEDY69 said:

Because people have wised up to standing around in the rain at a dunghole venue for two hours to see half an hours of entertainment. 

This is not about amateur football :(

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I remember getting seriously filled in at my first visits to Romford and Exeter. A painful experience that has never been forgotten.

I can remember getting filled in on the 3/4 bends at the Abbey when they had a cheap side god it was like being hit by bullets.

Not speedway related...

Saturday morning pictures as a boy...1 1/2d. each way on bus, 6d. to get in and 3d. for a bag of chips on the way home. a great morning for 1/-.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I can remember getting filled in on the 3/4 bends at the Abbey when they had a cheap side god it was like being hit by bullets.

Remember my first visit to Belle Vue in the early 60's, and standing on the home straight, and being allowed to stand near the outside fence getting filled in. I should have known because everyone who were Belle Vue fans all had the programme or programme boards to cover the sides of their right face. Soon learned when you were that near.

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

Remember my first visit to Belle Vue in the early 60's, and standing on the home straight, and being allowed to stand near the outside fence getting filled in. I should have known because everyone who were Belle Vue fans all had the programme or programme boards to cover the sides of their right face. Soon learned when you were that near.

It used to hurt but we all used to laugh about it, sometimes when it was dusty we would go home looking like Michael Jackson great days though.

20 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

It used to hurt but we all used to laugh about it, sometimes when it was dusty we would go home looking like Michael Jackson great days though.

or more like Al Jolson :D :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1