British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hyderd

those were the days, something to smile about.

9 hours ago, tellboy said:

Pretty much like Cardiff to me.Look back at the racing and it is pretty mediocre.But as you say the occasion and bigger crowd makes it seems better than what it is really.

The last time I went to Cardiff I hated it, there were just a handful of riders I gave a damn about as the majority don't race here. A few of the races were good but I need more, an emotional attachment (probs a woman thing lol).  I found myself swearing about the guys who don't race here, the organisation of the event, lots of negative stuff lol. I only went because we organised the trip as a supporters club, I won't be going again unless Robert Lambert gets in I guess. 

My favourite speedway these days is 100% supporting my team.  

8 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

I wonder how many of the under 40's go away with such glowing memories of a "good night out, great racing and satisfaction" in recent seasons? Hmm. If it is still just as good as we imagined ( if we did imagine it ) why aren't the crowds at speedway across the UK on the up? Or at least around the 2 - 3,000 level 0f 10 - 15 years ago. Hmmm.

I can think of quite a few meetings where loads of King's Lynn fans (of all ages) have walked away very happy and satisfied since 2000 :) Surely you haven't forgotten? 

39 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

I wonder how many of the under 40's go away with such glowing memories of a "good night out, great racing and satisfaction" in recent seasons? Hmm. If it is still just as good as we imagined ( if we did imagine it ) why aren't the crowds at speedway across the UK on the up? Or at least around the 2 - 3,000 level 0f 10 - 15 years ago. Hmmm.

Think you miss the point re crowd levels.There is so much more for people to do now than what we had back 30/40 years ago.Add in the fact we now race midweek,although weekends probably wouldn't make that much difference now with all the different entertainment options for people to do now.Remember for me it was either speedway or a night at my Nan and Grandad's watching Starsky and Hutch or tails of the unexpected.That was pretty much my options,so it would be silly to refuse a night at the speedway.Don't think i could name all the options they have nowadays.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Trees said:

The last time I went to Cardiff I hated it, there were just a handful of riders I gave a damn about as the majority don't race here. A few of the races were good but I need more, an emotional attachment (probs a woman thing lol).  I found myself swearing about the guys who don't race here, the organisation of the event, lots of negative stuff lol. I only went because we organised the trip as a supporters club, I won't be going again unless Robert Lambert gets in I guess. 

I too have decided Cardiff isn't for me,just over hyped and over priced imo.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 7:10 PM, g13webb said:

You must be a bit older than me then. I remember as a  13 yr. old on a Saturday night, catching the bus to the town,  then going to the picture house and buying a bag of sweets,   Ice cream in the interval,   before going to Ruston's fish shop for supper,  usually  then having to run to catch the last bus home .....     and still had change out of the 10 shillings  pocket money......  

Wonderful times…...  

...and then my dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle....if we were lucky! ;)

57 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Think you miss the point re crowd levels.There is so much more for people to do now than what we had back 30/40 years ago.Add in the fact we now race midweek,although weekends probably wouldn't make that much difference now with all the different entertainment options for people to do now.Remember for me it was either speedway or a night at my Nan and Grandad's watching Starsky and Hutch or tails of the unexpected.That was pretty much my options,so it would be silly to refuse a night at the speedway.Don't think i could name all the options they have nowadays.

Exactly, there are a million and one things for people to do with their leisure time and money nowadays, and unfortunately speedway hasn’t moved with the times to make people want to come. Add to that the way the sport is run and the often dreadful customer experience and it’s little wonder crowds are so poor. 

• Like 2

On 3/16/2019 at 11:11 AM, topsoil said:

You look back at the race time back then, I will use my own club Berwick as an example. Race times in the 70s and 80s are roughly the same as a Northern Junior League race now. Can you imagine many fans nowadays putting up with that as a night's entertainment.

.... ....... ..... 

For my opinion, speedway is better now than it ever has been, throughout the sport. More riders are becoming "professional", the standard of riders have gone up as a whole, right across the sport. But all I see on the forum is doom and gloom. I find I spend very little time looking at the forum these days, the general mood starts to bring me down. 

I'm going to have to disagree with the top paragraph. I cannot for the life of me see how faster racing means better racing. Back in the day, races were slower BUT there were almost no super duper professionally tuned engines so as I recall the races were closer. Sure some bikes were tied together with string but that didn't impact on rider skill.

As for the sport being more professional nowadays, sorry it's not.  Yes riders spend thousands more than they did in the past but that doesn't make it more professional, just more costly for all concerned. They look the part but the racing is no better than before. Had promoters however put the same amount of effort etc into their part of the sport I might be more in agreement with you. 

• Like 1

At least we have engine rev limiters to look forward to next year!!:D

37 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I'm going to have to disagree with the top paragraph. I cannot for the life of me see how faster racing means better racing. Back in the day, races were slower BUT there were almost no super duper professionally tuned engines so as I recall the races were closer. Sure some bikes were tied together with string but that didn't impact on rider skill.

As for the sport being more professional nowadays, sorry it's not.  Yes riders spend thousands more than they did in the past but that doesn't make it more professional, just more costly for all concerned. They look the part but the racing is no better than before. Had promoters however put the same amount of effort etc into their part of the sport I might be more in agreement with you. 

I find National Development League meetings produce better excitement than the SGB Premiership more often than not, with times of course being slower.  So I agree 100% with you on that one Star Lady. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mimmo said:

I find National Development League meetings produce better excitement than the SGB Premiership more often than not, with times of course being slower.  So I agree 100% with you on that one Star Lady. 

Costs me a tenner for me and my 15 year old lad to sit in the 'posh seats' watching the Colts at the NSS

It would cost me more than £30 to do the same to watch the Aces..

Went several times last year to watch the Colts, didn't bother with the Aces...

Both the Aces and Colts will have plenty of meetings with 'random septets' on view, (so it doesn't really matter who wins or loses), so you might as well get your Speedway fix for a lot less than you pay for the Premiership..

And you get some great racing at the NSS in the NDL..

5 hours ago, Trees said:

Interesting point you make re 'emotional attachment'..

For me that no longer applies to team Speedway (in Britain not everywhere) and is a large reason why fans have dropped off...

Meeting after meeting with guest after guest has unfortunately completely eroded the credibility of the domestic comps, and ensures media coverage is (and always will be with the current structure), minimal at best...

Without that emotional attachment sadly team Speedway doesn't resonate with enough people to (it appears in many places), be successful..

A shame, because 'a night out at the Speedway' can still deliver great entertainment, drama, excitement and value for money..

As Cardiff for me will no doubt deliver again this year..

I’m struggling to identify what leisure activities are available now that weren’t around 40 years ago. 

Can you guys give me five out of the million and one?

10 hours ago, Trees said:

I can think of quite a few meetings where loads of King's Lynn fans (of all ages) have walked away very happy and satisfied since 2000 :) Surely you haven't forgotten? 

And I can think of a number of meetings last year at Lynn where I left at the end of the meeting very pleased with the speedway. R, Lambert, of course, often the reason,

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

And I can think of a number of meetings last year at Lynn where I left at the end of the meeting very pleased with the speedway. R, Lambert, of course, often the reason,

'That boi, our boi' haha, love watching him, if ex fans only come and watch him once this season, I'm sure they won't be disappointed :D

14 minutes ago, Trees said:

'That boi, our boi' haha, love watching him, if ex fans only come and watch him once this season, I'm sure they won't be disappointed :D

Some of his moves last year were up there with Betts, Lee and Henka

• Like 2