British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hyderd

those were the days, something to smile about.

8 minutes ago, g13webb said:

It would be wrong to judge everyone like yourself.   You probably don't like the sports you mentioned but you cant help but notice all the hype in the national press     Social media is good but it does not tick every box.  If you are not looking in the right places you will not see the media releases.   Years ago we could always read about the Stars in the local rags but them days are long gone.     Last year we were on the verge of success and there was not a word in the local press.     No body knew anything about it, even  the old speedway fans...  

Sports like Football, Rugby, Horse racing are  on the back pages of every national newspaper, whereas Speedway is the biggest secret out there.    If this sport has any future then it needs a professional  Promotion Team to put it where the public can see it....

Oh my goodness, do you not read the EDP, the Lynn News or Your Local Paper (if u live in Lynn)? 

Edited by Trees

53 minutes ago, Trees said:

Oh my goodness, do you not read the EDP, the Lynn News or Your Local Paper (if u live in Lynn)? 

We have never  lived in Lynn and there is no mention of Speedway in the Wisbech Papers...     We read the Daily Mail (A proper Newspaper) each day.   When I have read the EDP it came across as glorified yellow pages where most spaces are devoted to adverts.    If it wasn't  for the Internet , the Forum and the SS  I would struggle to know what was going on....      Locally or Nationally 

Being able to get on a bus or tube in Upminster at 09.00 and travel all day in the Greater London Area for 6/- with a twin Rover.

Happy days.

6 hours ago, g13webb said:

We have never  lived in Lynn and there is no mention of Speedway in the Wisbech Papers...     We read the Daily Mail (A proper Newspaper) each day.   When I have read the EDP it came across as glorified yellow pages where most spaces are devoted to adverts.    If it wasn't  for the Internet , the Forum and the SS  I would struggle to know what was going on....      Locally or Nationally 

Check out the Lynn News website for news (www.lynnnews.co.uk/sport/speedway/) .....

13 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

Being able to get on a bus or tube in Upminster at 09.00 and travel all day in the Greater London Area for 6/- with a twin Rover.

Happy days.

I used to think that was great until I got to my 60th birthday and can now do it for free! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Trees said:

Check out the Lynn News website for news (www.lynnnews.co.uk/sport/speedway/) .....

You're missing the point,  Obviously the news is out there if you go looking for it,   but the idea of Promotion, is  to the promote the sport to people who don't know what's going on...    

Its very difficult to discuss any issues with you as you're one of the converted and see absolutely nothing wrong with Lynn Speedway.  I admire your work and enthusiasm but it's just a pity it blinds you from the apparent problems with the sport......

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, g13webb said:

You're missing the point,  Obviously the news is out there if you go looking for it,   but the idea of Promotion, is  to the promote the sport to people who don't know what's going on...    

Its very difficult to discuss any issues with you as you're one of the converted and see absolutely nothing wrong with Lynn Speedway.  I admire your work and enthusiasm but it's just a pity it blinds you from the apparent problems with the sport......

I was trying to point you in the right direction and telling you that news/promotion is out there in the newspapers. I don't know if your Wisbech newspaper has ever featured King's Lynn News, maybe not? Speedway promoters can send PRs to loads of newspapers and radio stations but ultimately the editors are the ones who decide whether they want the news on their pages, they are god! 

20 hours ago, g13webb said:

The title of those organising UK speedway racing should be changed from Promoter. None of them wearing the blazer for the last 30 years have been involved in promoting the sport to a wider audience. From 1946 to around 1985 those organising speedway were rolling in it and they re-invested very little of their profits in the future of the sport. For any fans who don't take the SS the sport IS almost invisible. I bet the hundreds of thousands who drive along the A47 wonder what goes on at the Adrian Flux Arena, if they notice the sign.  Football, ice hockey, basketball? It can't be speedway racing can it? I thought it was extinct, might go through their minds. Must be stockcar racing!

Edited by waytogo28
additional point made

9 minutes ago, Trees said:

I was trying to point you in the right direction and telling you that news/promotion is out there in the newspapers. I don't know if your Wisbech newspaper has ever featured King's Lynn News, maybe not? Speedway promoters can send PRs to loads of newspapers and radio stations but ultimately the editors are the ones who decide whether they want the news on their pages, they are god! 

the point g13webb was trying to make was you have to LOOK for any news. You are only going to do that if you are interested. Promoters need to get out there and put speedway in the face of the unconverted if the sport is to survive.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 11:13 PM, tellboy said:

With many meetings done during light hours,would any kind of lighting shows have any affect?

I think you know the answer. My suggestions are quick wins that could be done to improve the current product.

But I am glad you ask about daytime meetings. My longer term strategy would be much more radical and explore the collaboration of speedway with other track sports - sidecars, short track, stock cars, go karts, greyhounds for a really full family experience and deliver a full value day out to attact a bigger footprint of people, for a longer time and to broaden appeal to sponsors. What’s your big idea?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, falcace said:

I think you know the answer. My suggestions are quick wins that could be done to improve the current product.

But I am glad you ask about daytime meetings. My longer term strategy would be much more radical and explore the collaboration of speedway with other track sports - sidecars, short track, stock cars, go karts, greyhounds for a really full family experience and deliver a full value day out to attact a bigger footprint of people, for a longer time and to broaden appeal to sponsors. What’s your big idea?

have to say im hugely in favour of this an have made similar suggestions in the past. I see the future of the sport as more of a travelling show rather than a weekly team sport. As you said various classes / formulas all run on the same day. Grasstracks can draw strong crowds with a lesser standard product. Make it a full festival of shale based sport but as the most suited Speedway would finally be the headline act.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, falcace said:

Back in 1959 Harringay ran a Cavalcade of Speed which my parents took their young son to. It featured Greyhounds, Trotting, Stock Cars and Speedway. We all enjoyed the event but with only a Speedway type fence the Stock Car drivers were under strict instructions not to go near the fence or to push any other car into it! Apart from the cars all the racing appeared to be genuine but the followers of each sport did not appear to be interested in the others and my father years later said that it had not done the intended job of bringing new members of the public into the stadium. 

In the 1980's Arena Essex held an important Speedway meeting and with no safety fence at the time it was possible to run two Hot Rod races as pre meeting entertainment. They were two good races which I did the commentary for. But most of the Speedway fans spent much of the meeting complaining about having cars at "their" meeting. I know such mixes work in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa but many oval race fans are very limited in this country as to what they will watch, even to the point of some BriSCA Formula One Stock Car supporters at Long Eaton used to turn their chairs around so they had their backs to the track when any other class was racing. 

I know all this is negative but it does show that in the past some promoters did try but the paying public were not interested. I wish I could go to five or six tracks in the London area to watch two, three and four wheel motor sport but all the stadia have been pulled down so I console myself with the knowledge that at least I saw it in my younger days. 

2 hours ago, Star Lady said:

the point g13webb was trying to make was you have to LOOK for any news. You are only going to do that if you are interested. Promoters need to get out there and put speedway in the face of the unconverted if the sport is to survive.

But they do, on local radio very regularly, local tv only this week, in local papers, on twitter, instagram and facebook.  No they haven't got billboards or wrapped buses but they also haven't got the money that many sports have.  We can all play our part on social media, sharing the posts to our followers, it's amazing how many people then see what we share.

2 hours ago, falcace said:

I wouldn't bother with something like that myself although I used to go to local grasstrack meetings, but yeah it might be the future but at the moment I love supporting my team :D  For those whose team have shut down I appreciate it's not the same anymore ....

2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Back in 1959 Harringay ran a Cavalcade of Speed which my parents took their young son to. It featured Greyhounds, Trotting, Stock Cars and Speedway. We all enjoyed the event but with only a Speedway type fence the Stock Car drivers were under strict instructions not to go near the fence or to push any other car into it! Apart from the cars all the racing appeared to be genuine but the followers of each sport did not appear to be interested in the others and my father years later said that it had not done the intended job of bringing new members of the public into the stadium. 

In the 1980's Arena Essex held an important Speedway meeting and with no safety fence at the time it was possible to run two Hot Rod races as pre meeting entertainment. They were two good races which I did the commentary for. But most of the Speedway fans spent much of the meeting complaining about having cars at "their" meeting. I know such mixes work in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa but many oval race fans are very limited in this country as to what they will watch, even to the point of some BriSCA Formula One Stock Car supporters at Long Eaton used to turn their chairs around so they had their backs to the track when any other class was racing. 

I know all this is negative but it does show that in the past some promoters did try but the paying public were not interested. I wish I could go to five or six tracks in the London area to watch two, three and four wheel motor sport but all the stadia have been pulled down so I console myself with the knowledge that at least I saw it in my younger days. 

That's interesting to know, but I don't think an event 60 years ago should be used a suitable test case for what might or might not work in 2019. I take the point that additional entertainment put in front of a crowd there for the speedway often has little merit. But a properly marketed "SpeedFest" or "TrackFest" model with different activities on the hour (pick and choose which ones you do and don't wish to see) with surrounding barbecues, food stalls, bouncy castles would - I think - have a chance of drawing in much more families than the current model.

The consumer is much more transient these days and we have to create something that has much broader appeal for the family. The sport is heavily reliant on a dying demographic (literally) attending out of sheer habit and blind loyalty. That's clearly not sustainable.

It doesn't take an Einstein to say it, but....actually it does take an Einstein to say it..... "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

• Like 1