British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hyderd

those were the days, something to smile about.

44 minutes ago, falcace said:

That's interesting to know, but I don't think an event 60 years ago should be used a suitable test case for what might or might not work in 2019. 

I totally agree with you that a event held 60 years ago does not prove that it would not work now. Having followed both Speedway and Stock Cars for 60 years I have found there are very few people who are interested in both sports and most are very much against the sport they don't follow. Sadly I do not think mixing them on the same programme will work as many regular supporters would stay away as they don't want to pay for half a meeting they are not interested in and the families that might be attracted will not make up the loss of regulars! 

This discussion started with comments about Basketball, a sport I also enjoy and in the days of the Embassy All Stars used to watch a lot. I agree that the razzmatazz is good but sadly most only works indoors and most stadiums I have visited the sound system is so bad that they can't even get the music and presenters at a similar volume. Most of the time the speech alternates between deafening and so quiet that you can't hear the result! The music is just loud and the problem is that what one age group like others hate. Having being the commentator at hundreds of meetings I found that whatever music was played the only comments I got was how it was the wrong era. This was having played a mixture of top sounds from the previous 30 years to try and keep everyone happy. 

It also has to be said that whilst a useful experiment greyhounds, horses, stock cars and speedway are pretty different sports whereas solo speedway, sidecar speedway and short track are much more connected. If these could be organised with the invited riders matched to a closer standard then the entertainment would come. Its even got potential to break riders into class groups and close the gap in standard. 

As for the comments about regulars i just don't see the sport surviving with the current supporting trends or even in a regular team format. The GP's continue to prosper whilst all leagues are struggling, all the indicators are that the majority want less meetings but of a much higher entertainment standard.

Edited by Sings4Speedway

8 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I totally agree with you that a event held 60 years ago does not prove that it would not work now. Having followed both Speedway and Stock Cars for 60 years I have found there are very few people who are interested in both sports and most are very much against the sport they don't follow. Sadly I do not think mixing them on the same programme will work as many regular supporters would stay away as they don't want to pay for half a meeting they are not interested in and the families that might be attracted will not make up the loss of regulars! 

I think we have long reached the point where we have to stop pandering to the regulars....they are a ever decreasing band will not provide a sustainable future. We all know a pub that had a hardcore of old men who didn't like the jukebox or loud music and has closed its doors. That's where league speedway finds itself now, serving pints to the same hardcore with no new punters coming through the door.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, falcace said:

I think we have long reached the point where we have to stop pandering to the regulars....they are a ever decreasing band will not provide a sustainable future. We all know a pub that had a hardcore of old men who didn't like the jukebox or loud music and has closed its doors. That's where league speedway finds itself now, serving pints to the same hardcore with no new punters coming through the door.

Aside from new punters coming through we are short of new riders coming through as who realistically would encourage anyone to take up the sport. Costs are spiralling, clubs are folding, apart from 1/2 riders we are adrift on the world stage and at the mercy of a glut of foreigners to keep the leagues operating. 

3 hours ago, Trees said:

But they do, on local radio very regularly, local tv only this week, in local papers, on twitter, instagram and facebook.  No they haven't got billboards or wrapped buses but they also haven't got the money that many sports have.  We can all play our part on social media, sharing the posts to our followers, it's amazing how many people then see what we share.

Strange you say that,  in the village where I live ,   I noticed this morning, on the way to the local shop,  there were no less then 6  bill boards advertising  STOCK CAR racing from the same AFA.    yet you never see  one for the Speedway.    I hate Stock Cars with a vengeance, but I couldn't help but notice the Adverts..  :t:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

But you see Mr Webb that all the Promotional and Management Team are very tied up with the work that their high powered titles might suggest. Putting up postings on billboards all over the place ( some in very rural locations ) is not something they have time for. In fact leaflets, posters, fixture lists are very old hat in this digital age and not worth the use of their time, that is their thinking, I suspect.

Odd that because I see many, many more Stockcar posters up all over the place ( even in the K L town centre ) and that, allied with many more people on the AFA terraces for Stockcar racing must mean differently!

On the plus side, I did see a van with

Live Speedway in large letters and a pic of bikes

on the side going thro Lynn today. Was going a bit swift to read anything else and quite frankly need a trip thro the car wash but I suppose every little helps:P

Edited by Star Lady

3 hours ago, g13webb said:

Strange you say that,  in the village where I live ,   I noticed this morning, on the way to the local shop,  there were no less then 6  bill boards advertising  STOCK CAR racing from the same AFA.    yet you never see  one for the Speedway.    I hate Stock Cars with a vengeance, but I couldn't help but notice the Adverts..  :t:

6 billboards:blink:or just posters wrapped around a lamp post.Your lucky to see them in a village just outside Wisbech.I don't think i have even seen one in Wisbech,mind you i do go into town and out again as quick a Lambert around the NA.It's not the best town to visit anymore:(

2 minutes ago, tellboy said:

6 billboards:blink:or just posters wrapped around a lamp post.Your lucky to see them in a village just outside Wisbech.I don't think i have even seen one in Wisbech,mind you i do go into town and out again as quick a Lambert around the NA.It's not the best town to visit anymore:(

Wisbech went seriously downhill when South Brink Stadium closed and became a Tesco like so many Speedway and Stock Car tracks have done over the years.

4 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Wisbech went seriously downhill when South Brink Stadium closed and became a Tesco like so many Speedway and Stock Car tracks have done over the years.

I was thinking of other reasons really.Wondering why the older generation spend as little time as possible in the town now when once many use to meet up for a coffee and a chat.It is so run down now it isn't a pleasant place.

Remember the stadium only went twice though,not being a stock car fan but went to see my mates dad race once.Also to see my mates dog race,not on the stock car track though.

11 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I'll agree with you there.    Wisbech is not the sort of place I like to go any more.     Some streets have changed that much you question your desire to walk down it.... 

7 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Wisbech has been going downhill for years   The culture has now changed to something you wouldn't recognised... ,      but must say the new Tesco store is one of the plus factors....     When they demolished the stadium it hadn't been used for years,  it was just  a dumping ground for both people and rubbish.. 

• Like 1

wonder why no promoter has yet tried advertising on the back of a Bus, probably one of the most seen advertising space in this country.

40 minutes ago, hyderd said:

wonder why no promoter has yet tried advertising on the back of a Bus, probably one of the most seen advertising space in this country.

Cost I would suspect? 

2 hours ago, hyderd said:

No expenditure on advertising has proved beyond doubt that it does not work. The magic wand of social media has also proved ineffective for speedway. When we hear that arguably the greatest ever UK speedway race with Max Fricke carrying all before him at the NSS has been viewed only 59,000 times. No widespread public interest indicated there. 590,000 might have indicated otherwise.

We try or die simple.

• Like 1