British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

BACKCHAT - you ask MARTIN ROGERS

BACKCHAT

FROM our next issue (No. 91) we will be introducing a regular new feature called BACKCHAT, where readers get the chance to fire questions at our main columnist MARTIN ROGERS.

As one of the leading promoters and most respected administrators of the Backtrack era, no-one is better qualified to respond to questions about the burning issues of the 70s and 80s. They don't have to be just about the tracks at which he promoted, King's Lynn, Leicester and Peterborough. He is also 'up' for tackling all the wide-ranging issues from that special period.

So, please email your questions as soon as possible to us at editorial@retro-speedway.com. Type 'BACKCHAT' in the subject line, be sure to include your full name . . . and we'll forward them on to MR.

Martin's responses will appear in issue 91 and from then on . . .

• Like 1

Just received my latest edition...and as usual a great read. Was particularly impressed with Martin Rogers' honest opinions when answering questions put to him (my own included) A great column and I only hope that others make the efffort getting in touch. Such a breath of fresh air reading a Promoter's point of view when discussing speedway's last 'Golden Era'.

I used to enjoy reading the late John Berry's comments in said magazine and Martin has filled that roll admirably.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:08 AM, steve roberts said:

Just received my latest edition...and as usual a great read. Was particularly impressed with Martin Rogers' honest opinions when answering questions put to him (my own included) A great column and I only hope that others make the efffort getting in touch. Such a breath of fresh air reading a Promoter's point of view when discussing speedway's last 'Golden Era'.

I used to enjoy reading the late John Berry's comments in said magazine and Martin has filled that roll admirably.

Thanks, Steve. We hope many more readers (even non-regulars) will fire their questions at Martin in the issues to come.

If you have a question relating to speedway in the 70s and 80s that you would like Martin to answer, send it to us at editorial@retro-speedway.com.

46 minutes ago, tmc said:

Thanks, Steve. We hope many more readers (even non-regulars) will fire their questions at Martin in the issues to come.

If you have a question relating to speedway in the 70s and 80s that you would like Martin to answer, send it to us at editorial@retro-speedway.com.

Trouble is, Tony, there are lots of questions that I wish to put to Martin but I don't want to appear to monopolise the column!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Trouble is, Tony, there are lots of questions that I wish to put to Martin but I don't want to appear to monopolise the column!

One per issue would be fine, Steve. It's good that you take an interest and actively get involved.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting my question to Martin and to him for the excellent, well thought out reply. It's nice to be able to get an honest answer from a man who was at the centre of our sport when it was at it's best.

Pity we don't have more promoters like him now.

• Like 2

MARTIN ROGERS is chomping to start answering your questions for his new BACKCHAT column in the next issue (92) of Backtrack.

Got something to get off your chest, or a beef about something that happened in speedway during the 70s and 80s?

What did the BSPA do (or fail to do) that gave you the hump and, all these years later, you'd like an explanation for?

Well, fire of your questions to Martin via our email at editorial@retro-speedway.com

22 hours ago, tmc said:

MARTIN ROGERS is chomping to start answering your questions for his new BACKCHAT column in the next issue (92) of Backtrack.

Got something to get off your chest, or a beef about something that happened in speedway during the 70s and 80s?

What did the BSPA do (or fail to do) that gave you the hump and, all these years later, you'd like an explanation for?

Well, fire of your questions to Martin via our email at editorial@retro-speedway.com

I've just sent Martin another question. I'll await with keen interest regarding his views in the next edition...great column and I hope that others feel inclined putting questions to him.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 9:40 AM, steve roberts said:

I've just sent Martin another question. I'll await with keen interest regarding his views in the next edition...great column and I hope that others feel inclined putting questions to him.

Just received my edition of 'Backtrack' and Martin admirally, and in great detail, answered my question as regards the "Sunday People" sensationalisms that attempted to undermine the sport back in 1984. Like me he generally didn't really think that it had any short/long term effect and apparently when he appeared at the subsequent hearing scored some points against the 'journalist' who wrote the article and was congratulated by the SCB's Michael Limb.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Just received my edition of 'Backtrack' and Martin admirally, and in great detail, answered my question as regards the "Sunday People" sensationalisms that attempted to undermine the sport back in 1984. Like me he generally didn't really think that it had any short/long term effect and apparently when he appeared at the subsequent hearing scored some points against the 'journalist' who wrote the article and was congratulated by the SCB's Michael Limb.

Yes, a well thought out and reasonable reply. Speedway at that time had other issues rather than 'tittle tattle' rubbish from the tabloids.

• Like 2