British Speedway Forum
ZagarRacing

Premiership Supporters Cup

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Whats to stop the opposition supporters voting for riders who are not going well on the night to ride in the last heat to make it easier for a team to win if its a tight match with a last heat decider.

Nothing at all - infact not just opposition fans.

The little detail I have heard means ALL fans can vote for ANY meeting so 'neutrals' could decide the fate

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Nothing at all - infact not just opposition fans.

The little detail I have heard means ALL fans can vote for ANY meeting so 'neutrals' could decide the fate

So all you Hippo fans will have a nightmare decision if its a close match between Peterborough & Kings Lynn, if your teams a hated one your screwed. 

If its as someone said you can only choose the top scorers  the time between the last two races could be along time whilst you get your votes in. 

Edited by scoobydoo

It's going to be interesting to see how it works.  If fans from anywhere can vote for any rider to be included I can see one team in particular ending up with their worst two riders in the nominated heat in all of their cup meetings. :D

• Haha 1

As ever the devil is in the detail - an area where speedway regulations to date have not excelled :)

• Like 2

Total rubbish this. The team manager alone should decide. Imagine this in any other sport, supporters voting for player's substitutions in Football. Come on, man!!! 

This is another unneeded gimmick. The BSPA is making a mockery of this once great sport of speedway racing. Just as bad as the Golden Joker for double points.

I for one can't take this Supporters Cup serious. Too bad the traditional Knock-Out Cup has been sacrificed for that.

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

Total rubbish this. The team manager alone should decide. Imagine this in any other sport, supporters voting for player's substitutions in Football. Come on, man!!! 

This is another unneeded gimmick. The BSPA is making a mockery of this once great sport of speedway racing. Just as bad as the Golden Joker for double points.

I for one can't take this Supporters Cup serious. Too bad the traditional Knock-Out Cup has been sacrificed for that.

Agreed, good post.

25 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

Absolutely. Is this really happening? I can't believe they have come up with this.

Someone has clearly thought it is about the modern worl, iphones and apps etc, but it's nonsense. As everyone else has noticed, you can vote for the weaker riders in  the opposition team.

Why do they keep coming up with this stuff?

• Like 1

Maybe someone is developing the app which can only be accessed by password issued to those at the meeting - perhaps included in the official meeting racecard??;):t:

Who would have thought it? Speedway reaches the digital marketing age!!

Edited by Skidder1

16 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Maybe someone is developing the app which can only be accessed by password issued to those at the meeting - perhaps included in the official meeting racecard??;):t:

Who would have thought it? Speedway reaches the digital marketing age!!

The whole idea is yet another example of how those in charge fail to understand that any professional sport has to be credible to be taken seriously. 

However it works out will be farcical.  If only those at the meeting have the password then, with 95%+ of them being home supporters,  they will  vote overwhelmingly for the away teams two poorest riders to be nominated. If it's more widely available the least popular team will suffer.

In any event, good luck with keeping the password secret.  My guess is it will be on social media before the meeting starts. 

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

The whole idea is yet another example of how those in charge fail to understand that any professional sport has to be credible to be taken seriously. 

However it works out will be farcical.  If only those at the meeting have the password then, with 95%+ of them being home supporters,  they will  vote overwhelmingly for the away teams two poorest riders to be nominated. If it's more widely available the least popular team will suffer.

In any event, good luck with keeping the password secret.  My guess is it will be on social media before the meeting starts. 

Maybe it'll be developed into fingerprint security access? Many smartphones already have this function.

I can't understand why some are against it? Its only for 2 or 3 Supporters Cup meetings. Perhaps it'll depend on how many more 'old fogies' the sport might lose against how many younger fans it will involve?  (nb I'm entering my 70th year!!);)

It's more likely to be rigged for the team managers to crack on as usual and the number of nominations reflect that! They'll be using that laptop that Middlo had at Swindon the other season, you know the one that works the scores out by working backwards from the desired averages. Somebody will mention the words "independent adjudicator" next - never in Speedway.

The average age of most Speedway crowds is probably 65-70, most of whom are busy adjusting their blankets & pouring the next drink from their flasks between races. How many people of the age group that follow Speedway have accounts on facebook or Twitter or could be bothered messing about downloading apps from smartphones between races, I know even if I had a smartphone, which I don't , the meeting would be over by the time I had worked out what I had to do ( technology as passed me by). All people want to see is 4 evenly matched riders, giving it their all, not some fabricated mis-match determined by who has the most supporters.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stevethelion said:

The average age of most Speedway crowds is probably 65-70, most of whom are busy adjusting their blankets & pouring the next drink from their flasks between races. How many people of the age group that follow Speedway have accounts on facebook or Twitter or could be bothered messing about downloading apps from smartphones between races, I know even if I had a smartphone, which I don't , the meeting would be over by the time I had worked out what I had to do ( technology as passed me by). All people want to see is 4 evenly matched riders, giving it their all, not some fabricated mis-match determined by who has the most supporters.

Spot on, there is more chance of Teflon coated wallpaper coming into fashion. 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

But they will in this cup - there will be a voting app for nominated heats in every match!

Supporters on 2 minutes time allowance then.

Yet another reason why team speedway isn't taken seriously by anyone outside of speedway,, actually its not taken seriously by many of us within either.  What a totally useless idea

• Like 5